Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Deciding how to join your family.. 2008 or 2011?

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  nouse4aname 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide between 2 Rav4s.
Both have the following options:
-Limited
-V6
-4wd

2011 Rav4 $22,900
-27,000 miles
-Heated leather seats
-Keyless entry
-Backup Camera
-Minor, probably fixable, scratches on paint

2008 Rav4 $14,900 - amazing condition
-60,000 miles
-Cloth seats
-Paint condition is better
-Oil hose has been replaced
-Water pump replaced
-Transmission possibly replaced at 11 miles, see below

Besides the features is there anything else I should be taking into consideration?
2008 could have the oil hose issue, but that's replaceable? Hose has been replaced
2008 could also have transmission whine. I didn't notice it, is it obvious?

See less See more
#2 ·
All the V6 06-12 can have the transmission whine.
If you can afford it go with the newer vehicle.

#3 ·
I'd go with the 2008 since I don't like leather seats in a northern climate. They may be heated like they are in my Accord but they're still cold when you first get in. My only use for leather is it's more kid resistant.

Wouldn't worry about the hose, just get the recall done if it hasn't been. If there's no whine by 60,000 miles, IMO it won't develop.

#4 ·
I actually just found a service record that the oil hose was replaced on the 2008.
It also has the following record from when it had 11 miles on it, not sure what it means:

TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY R&R
ADD: AIR CONDITIONING
REPLACE TRANSAXEL ASSY Z= REMOVE

#5 ·
Stiker9, I would go with the 2011 if at all possible. There were a lot of small refinements from 2008 to 2009. I wish somebody had told me about these when I was choosing between a 2008 model and 2009:

Headlights, tail lights, grille, front and rear bumper redesigned. Rear bumper protector added.
Antenna relocated from fender to roof.
Turn signal lights on outside rear view mirrors.
Updated rims.
Improved side register A/C vents.
Larger console pocket to accommodate smart phones.
Relocated AUX jack near console pocket.
VSC/Traction control OFF switch added.
More sound absorption material added for reduced interior noise.
Active head restraints on front seats.
Automatic ON/OFF headlights with sensor.
Instant and average MPG now shown on instrument cluster w/ DISP switch on steering wheel.
Improved markings on the climate control panel.
Available rear view monitor system in rear view mirror.
Smart Key system (push button start).
Available 110 volt electrical outlet with 100 watt inverter.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm trying to decide between 2 Rav4s.
Both have the following options:
-Limited
-V6
-4wd

2011 Rav4 $22,900
-27,000 miles
-Heated leather seats
-Keyless entry
-Backup Camera
-Minor, probably fixable, scratches on paint
Pretty much what I got 2 weeks ago. My second RAV4.

You will love it and want to keep it for a long time. Go with the newer model and the fewer miles.

Paint is easy to fix.

#12 ·
Yea, pay attention to anything RTexasF has to say. Has one 08 V6 that is a peach and one that is more of a lemon, and he lets the chips fall where they may. It could be another reason why many would choose the 2011 in spite of the price.

If you haven't done so, go into the Toyota.com/owners website, enter the VIN and check your recalls. Also go into 'service history' and see what has been entered in the Toyota system. You can click on an individual service and get a few more details, like that "Transaxel R&R" you mentioned, though they always seem to hide what really happens in what I call 'secret dealer-speak.' You could also ask the dealer more about it, if you are working with a Toy dealership.

#13 ·
Toyota Owner's site reports that all maintenance was done at the dealership I'm buying it from, it seems pretty thorough. Toyota's site doesn't show any outstanding recalls, not sure where else I can check.

It's had the rear upper control arms done, water pump, oil hose, and transaxle.

#14 ·
Sounds like you've done some due diligence. Toyota in general had some quality issues circa 2006-2008 (example: replacing a transaxle at mile 11). But if those have been resolved you could have a good deal.

As Dr Dyno suggests, with 60K miles on it, most problems would likely have been revealed by now. Having solid service records is a big plus!

#17 ·
Good luck, Stiker9

For 2008, double-check the kbb.com private party value. 14.9K sounds high, but low miles and condition may warrant. Or you may be purchasing through a dealer. Note toyota implemented a larger engine for 2009 model year.

For 2011, 22.9 strikes me as high for a used car. If paying that much, I would dig up some extra change and purchase a new one. Then no risk of some else's lemon, 3 year warranty, and option to purchase extended 7 year 100K warranty via a low cost provider identified on this site.

All the best!!!

#18 ·
Good luck, Stiker9

For 2008, double-check the kbb.com private party value. 14.9K sounds high, but low miles and condition may warrant. Or you may be purchasing through a dealer. Note toyota implemented a larger engine for 2009 model year.

For 2011, 22.9 strikes me as high for a used car. If paying that much, I would dig up some extra change and purchase a new one. Then no risk of some else's lemon, 3 year warranty, and option to purchase extended 7 year 100K warranty via a low cost provider identified on this site.

All the best!!!
OP is looking for a V6. Too late to buy Toyota warranty on the 2011 unless it is a really late 2011. Is the price still expensive for a V6, maybe not.

#21 ·
My 08 has been nearly flawless, FWIW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.