Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Going to look at a 2009

5K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  JuneBug 
#1 ·
2009 V6 Limited with 55k miles for $16.5k and a clean carfax. Aside from the transmission whine(35-40mph range right?) what else should I look out for?

#4 ·
... safety stop technology which as a byproduct solved the trans rattle at 30 mph.
I hadn't heard this before. Don't know why they would be connected.

#3 ·
Only issue with the V6 is the oil hose on the engine. Had that recall done ASA I bought my '06 used. Toyota may have fixed that by 2009.
The main problem with the V6 is IT'S TOOOO MUCH FUN! :D

Reactions: nouse4aname
#6 ·
The lower control arm recall shows "re-inspection required - remedy available". Not sure yet if it still has the power train warranty based on time. May pick up an extended warranty just in case and the cash it out if no problems come up the first 2 months.

#14 ·
Take it to your local Toyota dealer and make sure the LATEST lower control arm recall is done. That is a serious safety concern. Also it would be a good idea to have the SmartStop upgrade installed. Both are free.:smile

#21 ·
This may be a bit off topic, I have refused to do the smartstop recall on my 2010 V6 since it concerns me that towing maybe annoying. I mainly am concerned that at times, depending on the situation when towing, you may need to use the brake and accelerator at the same time. My concerns may be unfounded, but since I have had zero issues to date, I'm also less likely to fix something that is not broken :)

#27 ·
Your Rav4 has hill start assist, step on the brake pedal hard enough and it will engage this feature, then you have a few seconds to move to the gas pedal while the system holds the brakes for you.

#22 ·
in what situation would you ever need to use the brakes and throttle at the same time while towing?......if you mean by sitting at a stop light or sign and want to keep it from rolling backwards 2 things come to mind.....first is that your rav has some sort of system that will hold the brakes and give your right foot time to go from brake to gas.....when holding down the brake steady just push it down a little bit more and you should hear some beeps and a light on the dash lights up.....the rav will then hold the brakes solid for 3 or 5 seconds.....something like that......you then have time to go from brake to gas without rolling backward.....also smart stop does not do anything under 5mph.....

#26 ·
Got it washed and waxed with our heat wave in the 50s today. Really got an appreciation of how much bigger it is than our old 4.2 after that. At 6'7 I was able to just wax the top of the old one just standing on the ground. On this one I had to stand on the door sill to get to the middle of the top.

#31 ·
Faith in humanity restored a little bit.

Dealer only had one key fob which is all too common for used cars. Salesman said he would contact the prior owner to see if they still had the second key fob. I figured it had just been lost to Narnia. But the prior owner came through and the salesman overnighted it to us. Wow.

#32 ·
Awesome! You are very lucky, that almost never happens. When I bought a used Dodge Grand Caravan, it came with all 3 keys, but only one remote. I mentioned this on one of the forums, and a guy from New Orleans said he had an aftermarket alarm installed and never used his remotes. Mailed them to me and wouldn't even accept postage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.