Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto door lock module update

65K views 113 replies 45 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, the 4.3 RAV4 does not lock the doors automatically like most other cars do. So those clever Chinese engineers developed a small module that when plugged into the OBD port under the dash does just that. In March of 2013 I ordered one from Aliexpress for all of $15 and have been using it until today. We discussed it in this thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/98873-2006-2012-rav4-door-auto-lock.html

The one I got was model number CFT01-3, and yes, it does lock the doors when the vehicle speed exceeds 12 mph, but it also had some annoying "bonus" features. For example, when any door is opened, it flashes the hazard lights 5 times. Every time, day or night. Also, when the headlights are on and you lock the vehicle either with the door switch or the remote, the high beams turn on for 5 seconds. Pointless since the low beams are already on. Finally, after stopping the vehicle and putting the gearshift into Park, it unlocks the doors. I hated this "feature" especially at a drive through. The last thing I want to do when making a cash deposit at the bank is to have all the doors unlock!

So I decided to order the new and improved version, model number CFT01-2, which had good reviews at Aliexpress. I paid $16 but it's now on sale for $12.24:

Automatic Door Lock Closing CANBUS OBD system For TOYOTA New Vios Corolla RAV4 Car speed lock device Free shipping-in Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I recommend paying the extra $1.32 for China Air Mail as mine took over a month to get here using the free Swiss Mail.

Anyway, this newer module has eliminated all the "bonus" features and just does what it's supposed to do. Start the car, shift into Drive, and when you reach 12 mph, the doors lock. Stop the car, open a door for a passenger to get out, when you get to 12 mph again, the door re-locks. Stop the car, put it in Park, nothing happens UNTIL you turn off the ignition. Then, all the doors unlock! Perfect, just what I wanted. I highly recommend this newer model, and at 12 bucks it's a steal! The new module looks just like these pictures except it has a T01-2 sticker applied:

See less See more
#46 ·
Just got mine! T01-2 and it does what I wanted. Locks doors at 12 mph and unlocks them when you turn the key to off. Also, if a door is opened for any reason, say at a stop light or ATM, it relocks it when you get back up to 12 mph. Sweet. E_V

#47 ·
Another thing I noticed with this module. If you stop to pick up someone, and unlock the doors using the power lock button, it does NOT re-lock when you reach 12 MPH. Since you unlocked manually, you must re-lock manually.

#48 ·
Mine does.

#49 ·
I find that if you unlock my drivers door, manually by the toggle above the latch handle, It does not re-lock. If I actually open the door, then it re-locks.

#50 ·
That's exactly how mine works. It would seem that Veliksam's is different.

#52 ·
Has anyone checked to see if this module will display the 'mode' using the door light and the lock switch? Just thinking out loud. E_V

#54 ·
Yes, when using the manual latch under the door handle. But not after using the power door lock button on the front doors, right?

#58 ·
What about module for lock when door open?

Has anyone seen a module which will allow locking the doors when one is open? It drives me crazy not to be able to:

1) Open door to unload groceries, children, cargo
2) Lock door
3) Put keys in pocket
4) Grab all of the items
5) Shut door with my butt/teeth, whatever I can
6) Walk away

You would not believe how many times this comes up, pretty much every time exiting the vehicle, and it doesn't appear to be configurable.

#59 ·
Has anyone seen a module which will allow locking the doors when one is open? It drives me crazy not to be able to:

1) Open door to unload groceries, children, cargo
2) Lock door
3) Put keys in pocket
4) Grab all of the items
5) Shut door with my butt/teeth, whatever I can
6) Walk away

You would not believe how many times this comes up, pretty much every time exiting the vehicle, and it doesn't appear to be configurable.
Nope, the way I do it:

1) Open door to unload groceries
2) Hold black door switch down
3) Push lock button on remote
4) Put keys in pocket
5) Grab all of the items
6) Shut door with butt, walk away

#62 ·
what's the rational for not having this feature? My '07 corolla locks all doors on D, and unlocks all on P. Any way we can set this through tech stream, etc.?

#63 ·
The rationale is that Toyota did not put this feature in the 4.3 RAV4 probably to save a few pennies. It cannot be set through Techstream because it is simply NOT THERE. That's why I bought this inexpensive module to add the feature.

#66 ·
#69 ·
I bought one of the AliExpress ones that JuneBug posted earlier and noticed a very weird quirk when using it with my 2011 RAV4 2.5L base that has a dealership installed Compustar Pro 1-way remote starter. I live in Alberta and there are often nights where the temperature dips to -30°C, so it's not guaranteed that the car will start the first crank. When I have the auto-lock module installed and if the car doesn't start on the first crank, all of the doors unlock automatically. It seems like the Compustar Pro remote starter triggers the exact same unlocking sequence that causes the module to automatically unlock the doors in the event of a failed start.

Because it's pretty dangerous to have my car automatically unlock in the winter without me knowing, I've since removed the auto-lock module for safety. This probably won't happen to everyone since it looks like it's specific to the remote starter the dealership had installed when I purchased the vehicle, but take it as a heads up in case you notice your vehicle unlock randomly when using a remote starter.

#71 ·
I see on most websites that the OBD2 module for auto lock requires 2008 and newer for RAV4. From my understanding, the 2006 RAV4 has CANBUS. Why would it not be compatible with the OBD2 module for auto locking doors?
Yes, it will work. the 2006 and 2008 are identical for the most part.

#73 ·
The first one I bought did that and I found it annoying. The second one was a different version and cheaper and doesn't flash anything. I don't think they are user programmable.

#75 ·
I've been using the model CFT01-2 for over 3 years now without a problem. It locks the doors at 12 mph, and unlocks the doors when I turn the key off. No blinkers with this new version.

#79 ·
I saw a helicopter video of a police chase in CA. The car thief got stopped in a traffic jam, bailed out of the stolen car, ran up to the front of the line and pulled the driver from a minivan and took off. Kicker was this was a Dodge minivan and the owner must have never activated the automatic door locks. Yeah, it has a lot to do with locale, and busy people sometimes forget to lock the doors manually.

#82 ·
As many of you know, the 4.3 RAV4 does not lock the doors automatically like most other cars do. So those clever Chinese engineers developed a small module that when plugged into the OBD port under the dash does just that. In March of 2013 I ordered one from Aliexpress for all of $15 and have been using it until today. We discussed it in this thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/98873-2006-2012-rav4-door-auto-lock.html

The one I got was model number CFT01-3, and yes, it does lock the doors when the vehicle speed exceeds 12 mph, but it also had some annoying "bonus" features. For example, when any door is opened, it flashes the hazard lights 5 times. Every time, day or night. Also, when the headlights are on and you lock the vehicle either with the door switch or the remote, the high beams turn on for 5 seconds. Pointless since the low beams are already on. Finally, after stopping the vehicle and putting the gearshift into Park, it unlocks the doors. I hated this "feature" especially at a drive through. The last thing I want to do when making a cash deposit at the bank is to have all the doors unlock!

So I decided to order the new and improved version, model number CFT01-2, which had good reviews at Aliexpress. I paid $16 but it's now on sale for $12.24:

Automatic Door Lock Closing CANBUS OBD system For TOYOTA New Vios Corolla RAV4 Car speed lock device Free shipping-in Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I recommend paying the extra $1.32 for China Air Mail as mine took over a month to get here using the free Swiss Mail.

Anyway, this newer module has eliminated all the "bonus" features and just does what it's supposed to do. Start the car, shift into Drive, and when you reach 12 mph, the doors lock. Stop the car, open a door for a passenger to get out, when you get to 12 mph again, the door re-locks. Stop the car, put it in Park, nothing happens UNTIL you turn off the ignition. Then, all the doors unlock! Perfect, just what I wanted. I highly recommend this newer model, and at 12 bucks it's a steal! The new module looks just like these pictures except it has a T01-2 sticker applied:

This is great info thank you for sharing.

#84 ·
I have this device but stopped using it after realizing this can wear out all the door locks because it is not unlocking and closing just the driver door. All the door locks (5) will wear down using this instead of the driver side.

#89 ·
Sent you a PM.

#92 ·

2006-2012 RAV4 Door Auto Lock

Awesome find!

#95 ·
#96 ·
Got the tpms yesterday it was easy to program the lock feature and easy to install. No asinine flashing lights! Plus I have some indication of "tire pressure". I can set it to lock in Drive or at 12mph, I choose the gear select.

I have mixed feelings about it unlocking automatically, at least it's when the engine is shut off (or select park as the only second option) but I remember 90s GM's did the same thing.

#98 ·
I'm trying to let it happen naturally, I had a slow leak every week for a period on the RR because of fluctuating winter temps, but now it's holding air a lot better.

It doesnt monitor PSI, It gets data from the abs system. When the abs compensates for tire diameter the tpms will give a notification. It says 2.4 for each wheel normally and when one is low it will say 1.8 , I dont know why they chose those numbers, but whatever works... I can adjust the sensitivity of the tpms function as well.

Nice that it will show which wheel is low instead of guessing, plus I suspect if I get a dead ABS sensor I'll know which one. I like that it has a jumper harness for the OBD port so I dont have to unplug it when I need to use a scanner. It's a nice kit especially for the price.

#99 ·
I finally just let air out of one of the rear tires until the factory tpms lit and drove it around the block. I know which ones to air up for sure. The locking still works great as well.

My only gripe is that it's hard to see the display in daylight, but I don't need to look at it all the time. Plus it has an alarm if the tire is low, the alarm is silenceable.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.