Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Trailering my motorcycles

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ThurzNite 
#1 ·
Shortly after buying my 07 V6 Rav I ordered the Magnus hitch off ebay. I plan to use my faithful old Nissan Pathfinder for my main trail rig as I don't care as much if myself or the kids get it dirty. But I know there will be times when I want to pull a bike or 2 or 3 and I'll want to be using the Rav.
Installing the hitch was a piece-o-cake. I did it myself in 40 degree weather.
Yesterday I loaded up 2 of our bikes and hit the trails. I wanted to get the bikes out in the nice winter weather to get the gas and oil circulating and to test out the Rav pulling 2 bikes.
I gotta say I am really impressed with the mighty Rav4! The big engine pulls easy, the tranny doesn't wander and shift up and down constantly, and the suspension doesn't bounce around with the extra weight on the rear.
It drives down the road much better than I expected! I am very content.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good! How much weight do you have on the hitch from the trailer and bikes? There isn't any apparent sag in the RAV's rear suspension showing in the pic. The V6 should be handling that load easily.

#4 ·
I don't know how much weight it is. I would guess each bike weighs close to 300lbs and the trailer is probably around the same.
It's the base model. I notice when I put my weight in the rear it hardly sags any compared to other vehicles. I suppose that's why it has such a nice firm sporty ride to it.

#6 ·
My DRZ weighs 300lbs, those bikes look lighter, maybe 250 each but depending on how you load them the tongue weight could be very light. When I was towing various trailers with cars I put bathroom scales under the tongue jack to measure the weight. I'd bet yours isn't more than 75lbs which you could lift with one hand. When I was a little younger I'd straddle the tongue and figured if I could lift it off the ground it was 200lbs or less.

#5 ·
i havent towed in my rav, but a friend has the same rav as mine, an 04, and he tows 2 cruisers which weigh a little more than a sport bike. it handles great and the engine is only a 4 cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.