Recalls and Oil Consumption Test - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Recalls and Oil Consumption Test

Had 3 recalls done on my 2006 RAV4 4 cylinder yesterday. They replaced the spiral cable, (now I can take the tape off the dash over the light) had the rear lower suspension arms replaced, and had the Smart Stop Technology installed on the ECU.

I also was selected to participate in the Oil Consumption Test. They topped off the oil and tamper-proofed the dipstick, fill cap and drain plug. After 1100-1300 miles, I must return to the dealer to have the oil checked again. Should it show excessive consumption, a ring job or engine replacement will be done....no charge.

What I find amazing about this is that I have over 100,000 miles on the car and the warranty on the engine is extended to 150,000 miles. Cool

Anybody else doing/have done the Oil Consumption Test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM

Did they do any tamper-proofing to the oil filter?

2013 LE AWD
1987 200SX SE-V6
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
They also tamper-proofed the oil lines as well as the filter.......NO CHEATING.

At 100k+ miles I would expect some oil consumption and I think I add approximately 1-1/2 quarts between oil changes.(5000 miles) Is that excessive?
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
1/2 - 1 quart between changes excessive use? Not according to Toyota...It can use a quart every 1000 miles and still be "normal use" per the manual. It will have to use more than 5 quarts over a 5000 mile change interval to be repaired. BTW...The manual also says you should check oil level at EVERY fill up...can you imagine how big a pain that would be? The temps here are in the teens during daytime high...last thing I want to be doing is lifting the hood to check oil.
Anyway I don't think Toyota is doing any owner of this poor design a favor offering to fix it if it uses so much you really never need to change it. They should fix them all imo...regardless of the usage.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for that info. Actually, I meant one and one half quarts to two quarts between changes. I had/have no problem with that, I kind of expected that much with that many miles. Just thought I'd play along with Toyota.....It'll be interesting when the results come in. Will let you know.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Just know in advance that some dealers have been known to cheat on the test by overfilling the oil by a quart or so.Who checks the oil level before they tamper-proof it? THEY do. How is an owner of an oil guzzler going to prove that they rigged the test? It angers me that any dealership would do this,since Toyota the corporation,not the dealer,is paying for the work if it needs to be done. I guess it's the business model for the new decade...screw over the customer for no good reason and alienate him forever. Then wonder why they lose sales.
We see it all the time here on this forum.People who own what they say is their LAST Toyota because of issues like this.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:12 AM

Other than the oil usage issue, our RAV4 has been great. I plan to have all the recall work done except the oil usage and loose rear suspension arm hardware issues. I will ensure the suspension arms are attached (don't want them epoxied rendering them non-adjustable) properly and replace the lower end myself as I don't have a lot of trust in my local dealership.

I found the oil usage issue before it was too late, fortunately, around 55,000 miles and it uses about one quart per 1,100 miles. I now check the oil on a weekly basis regardless of weather and top it up when necessary. I also found the "normal oil usage" statement in not only my owners book, but the '13 Prius one in a former company car I had.

My wife now drives our Jeep on a daily basis. I will repair and drive the RAV4 on my off days from work. Our family has had many Toyotas in the past, so this is quite disappointing. Going to fix it and drive it anyway. Not sure if they will get my business again though.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 PM

zigzagrav4,

I started complaining about high oil usage about 30k miles ago. I've been adding about a quart about every 12-1300 miles.

Got the same 3 recall issues taken care of today and started the oil usage test.

100,656 on odometer. Even though, it seems like a lot of oil usage. I don't recall my other vehicles using this much.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 PM

Garage
My Rav is currently doing the test. The real irony is that my previous was a Saturn SL-1.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yesterday I completed the oil consumption test. They told me I used 3/4 (three quarters) of a quart in 1150 miles. Not considered excessive. With 110,800+ miles on it, I am not surprised. Did get an additional 50k miles warranty on the engine, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page