RAV4 Wrecked Then Traded - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV4 Wrecked Then Traded

On October 13th, 2014 my Rav was rear ended by a woman not paying attention in a pouring rain storm where a traffic light was flashing red for all directions (power loss in the area). There was a police officer present at the light with his blue strobes flashing. I believe the driver was distracted but the officer did not push the issue after she denied using her phone. Flashing blue and red lights didn't slow her down one bit!!

The damage was significant requiring replacement of every part of the rear, cutting the rear floor out and replacing it. The grand total for repairs was near $8000.00. My Rav stayed at a very reputable repair shop for 20 days. On returning the vehicle, it was much noisier, the rear door rattled over bumps, the paint was not matched correctly (Blizzard Pearl), the car was covered in white dust inside. I was very disappointed. I was told with the significant impact, it would never be as it once was.

I decided to just rid myself of all the problems instead of going down another endless road. I dearly loved the V6 engine and the way it drove. I HATE the 4.4 RAVs.

I have numerous interior bits laying in my garage. I'll be listing them in the classifieds.

Many thanks to everyone that offered advice and support in the group.

Ray

2012 RAV4 Blizzard Pearl Limited V6 4wd, Entune-Nav, Rearview mirror cam, tow prep pkg w/ Curt Class 3 hitch.
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE nav/sunroof
2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:19 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh, so very sorry to hear about your RAV! What a nightmare.

I'm with you on the 4.4s all the way. If you can't find another V6, or aren't interested in a used vehicle, you may want to have a look at the Jeep Cherokee V6. A coworker has one and it's the closest thing to a V6 RAV4 I've seen in both size and performance. Yeah, it's a Jeep (not a Toyota), and yeah it has noticeably less cubic feet of cargo capacity in the rear, but if you can live with those things I think it's about the best choice out there new in this size/class. More towing capacity, too.

Otherwise if I wanted a CVT and turbo, I'd consider the Subaru Forester XT as an alternate, or possibly the Subaru Outback V6 (still has a CVT, both have boxer engines).

Staying in the Toyota family, you might also consider the Venza, which has it's own differences from the RAV4 (including price), but has a very similar AWD system, more ground clearance than the 4.3, and the same cubic feet of cargo capacity.

Seriously, best of luck in whatever you choose to do. Let us know how it shakes out.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:05 PM

Sucks

I am sorry to hear this. Accidents happen and sometimes subsequent repairs suck - when the two occur back to back, well it just sucks that much more. I have a 2010 Sport with SAP V6. If I had to replace it, I haven't a clue what kind of vehicle I would choose. I do not like the look of the jeep Cherokee or any of the smaller SUVs for that matter. I like the Grand Cherokee but they cost more, get poor gas mileage and from what I hear, the reliability is not all that great. I would opt for a BMW X3 with the V6 twin turbo but then - I just have a problem paying that much for a vehicle, but more importantly I have two kids in college. I would like to know what you opt for in the end - best of luck.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayb View Post
On October 13th, 2014 my Rav was rear ended by a woman not paying attention in a pouring rain storm where a traffic light was flashing red for all directions (power loss in the area). There was a police officer present at the light with his blue strobes flashing. I believe the driver was distracted but the officer did not push the issue after she denied using her phone. Flashing blue and red lights didn't slow her down one bit!!

The damage was significant requiring replacement of every part of the rear, cutting the rear floor out and replacing it. The grand total for repairs was near $8000.00. My Rav stayed at a very reputable repair shop for 20 days. On returning the vehicle, it was much noisier, the rear door rattled over bumps, the paint was not matched correctly (Blizzard Pearl), the car was covered in white dust inside. I was very disappointed. I was told with the significant impact, it would never be as it once was.

I decided to just rid myself of all the problems instead of going down another endless road. I dearly loved the V6 engine and the way it drove. I HATE the 4.4 RAVs.

I have numerous interior bits laying in my garage. I'll be listing them in the classifieds.

Many thanks to everyone that offered advice and support in the group.

Ray
It sounds like that "very reputable repair shop" wasn't.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post
It sounds like that "very reputable repair shop" wasn't.
And one can only imagine the sort of work which would be turned out by a shop which wasn't "very reputable."

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Post up where you traded it in and maybe the vin to warn other forum goers not to buy that one.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone.

By reputable I mean I've used this repair shop 3 times in the past ( 3 different accidents in family ) and they did excellent work with no detail overlooked. So when I say "reputable shop" that's my definition. I approached them about the issues with my RAV but was told the impact and color were almost impossible to correct. So... it was just easier to let it go.

I purchased a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited Platinum 6 seater. After driving almost every CUV I was smitten with it the most.

My RAV already shows the accident on CARFAX, so anyone buying would see that it was damaged. It took about one week for this to show up. Quick reporting!

Ray

2012 RAV4 Blizzard Pearl Limited V6 4wd, Entune-Nav, Rearview mirror cam, tow prep pkg w/ Curt Class 3 hitch.
2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Garage
Is that the larger Santa Fe? I was looking at the larger(XL in Canada) Santa Fe before getting the Rav. The ride, quietness and V6 power were awesome.

2013 RAV4 Limited Magnetic Grey/TerraCotta
2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 ABS
2010 Piggio Fly 150
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(bobberising it)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes GTBaker. It's the longer version (XL). It's an awesome vehicle so far.

Ray

2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM

If we lost our 4.3 Rav, I'd probably look at a Highlander instead of the 4.4 Rav4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page