choosing a new vehicle - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
choosing a new vehicle

Ok guys, I know it may not be very tactful to talk about vehicles other than the Rav4, on a Rav4 forum, but since mine got totaled in a crash, and I'm in the process of finding a new car, I have to consider all possibilities.

Initially, I was leaning towards a Ford Edge, and I'm still considering one. My only gripe is that here in FL, they simply do not exist in AWD - which, truth be told, I probably don't need anyway - and because the 2015's are due out any week, I'm limited to the last of the 2014's the Ford dealerships have on the lots here, which are all FWD. I'm not ultimately opposed to the idea of getting a FWD vehicle, but the bigger problem is that absolutely none of them come with the tow prep package. I'm still a little confused regarding the way the Edge is configured with this package. As many of us know, almost all the V6 Rav4's came with the upgraded tranny cooler, radiator and alternator. All we needed to do was install a hitch and we were rated to tow 3500lbs. But it seems the Edge is different. Unless you buy it specifically with the factory tow package, the Edge will only ever be rated to 2000lbs. Regardless, finding an Edge with the tow prep package here is virtually impossible.

Because of this, I've entertained the idea of purchasing an Escape with the 2.0 ecoboost, because many of them come with the tow prep package and a 3500lbs tow rating. What I find odd, is that the tow prep package is easier to find on the Escape than on the Edge, in FL anyway.

I also made a stop at the Jeep dealer today as well, to test drive the Cherokee Limited, and Latitude. I read some other members talking about it a few days ago, so I decided to give it a try. It was definitely a nice automobile. It's not as fun to drive as the Escape, but it was certainly adequate. And the 4WD system seems to be far superior to anything else in its class. Not that I'd ever need it here in FL.

Much to my delight, Geico is offering me $1000 in savings at Jeep/Fiat/Chrystler/Dodge dealers. I was able to configure a fully loaded Jeep Limited with just about every option for about $32,500 with the discounts offered by both Jeep and Geico. My only real concern regarding the Jeep, is their reliability.

My last option is to pick up one of the 2012 V6 Rav4's that I've seen on the various car lots here. I still have a few more days to look at cars before Geico makes me return the rental car, so I need to entertain all possibilities before I make a decision.

Feel free to offer up suggestions.

2008 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD with towing package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:39 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,308 Times in 945 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evmoore View Post
Much to my delight, Geico is offering me $1000 in savings at Jeep/Fiat/Chrystler/Dodge dealers. I was able to configure a fully loaded Jeep Limited with just about every option for about $32,500 with the discounts offered by both Jeep and Geico. My only real concern regarding the Jeep, is their reliability.
As for reliability, you might consider the Chrysler lifetime extended warranty. My son got that on his new Cherokee Trailhawk and it's unlimited mileage and years with a $100 deductible.

But if it were me, I would go with that 2012 RAV4 you mentioned. It's familiar, dependable, and will save you a lot of money in the long run.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:00 AM

I like the Cherokee although I would only consider the trailhawk.......I like that it has low range on it......I also like the Santa Fe sport Turbo.......while I like my rav if it were totalled I would not buy another one.......have you considered looking out of state for an Edge with the specs you want?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Unless you have a specific need for four wheel drive certainly even more savings are there to be had by going front wheel drive, regardless of the brand.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:43 AM

Garage
My thoughts

I just traded in my 2014 Ford Escape 1.6L FWD for the RAV almost two weeks ago. The reason, during my 30,000 miles of ownership, I had to visit the dealership too many times.
I know other '14 owners who have had zero problems.
I will say this though, when a manufacture has a buy back program for a certain vehicle, like the Escape, I'd steer clear. You'll read horror stories on the Escape Forum of how long it took dissatisfied owners to get Ford to buy back their vehicle. But part of me says you have to give Ford a handshake or nod for taking those with major issues back without the owner going after them with their states Lemon Law. My vehicle didn't meet Missouri's Lemon Law requirements because it was always a different issue popping up.

I also looked into the new Jeep Cherokee's and I had the same issue you are considering.....Reliability. The reliability rating is very low on the chart. I do have a Jeep Patriot owner in the family and through two years of ownership they've never been back to the dealership with any problems.

After looking at the Rogue, the Cherokee, the CRV.....we decided on the RAV4. It was a close race between the CRV and the RAV but I couldn't get over the rear appearance of the CRV (which I believe took the 2015 SUV of the year award).

2015 Rav4 Limited AWD, Black with Ash Interior, 18" wheels, Build Date 10/14
The Following User Says Thank You to firepit1x For This Useful Post:
evmoore (03-20-2015)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

OP, have considered Toyota Highlander?
they can tow up to 5000 lbs with the 3.5L V6.
not much MPG penalty compared to V6 RAV4.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I purchased a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the 3.2L V6. Got it in dark metallic. I like it, but I'm not completely in love with it. But given the circumstances and the trouble I've had getting what I want from Ford, I figured Jeep was an acceptable alternative. Geico offered me a $1000 rebate, which helped too. $31,700 was my price, but the out the door cost made it about 34k. More than I wanted to spend, but it's done now. I hope I don't have buyers remorse.

I'll definitely keep people here informed regarding the performance of the Jeep Cherokee. I know there are many members who are considering purchasing one.

The one I bought is completely loaded. It has everything but the technology package, which is basically their blind spot monitoring system. I figured it wasn't worth the extra $1500-$2000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150320_190049.jpg (324.5 KB, 21 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to evmoore For This Useful Post:
DVS (03-20-2015)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
OP, have considered Toyota Highlander?
they can tow up to 5000 lbs with the 3.5L V6.
not much MPG penalty compared to V6 RAV4.
Yes, I did, but they're bigger than I want, and honestly, they seem to be more expensive and I know in south FL, I'd have a hard time finding one with everything on it I want.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:15 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new vehicle! Currently that would be my choice as well (probably the Trailhawk version for me, though...extra ground clearance for driving in snow.)

Absolutely, please let us know what you think of it as you spend more time with it.

Thanks for letting us know your decision.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
The Following User Says Thank You to DVS For This Useful Post:
evmoore (03-20-2015)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepit1x View Post
I just traded in my 2014 Ford Escape 1.6L FWD for the RAV almost two weeks ago. The reason, during my 30,000 miles of ownership, I had to visit the dealership too many times.
I know other '14 owners who have had zero problems.
I will say this though, when a manufacture has a buy back program for a certain vehicle, like the Escape, I'd steer clear. You'll read horror stories on the Escape Forum of how long it took dissatisfied owners to get Ford to buy back their vehicle. But part of me says you have to give Ford a handshake or nod for taking those with major issues back without the owner going after them with their states Lemon Law. My vehicle didn't meet Missouri's Lemon Law requirements because it was always a different issue popping up.

I also looked into the new Jeep Cherokee's and I had the same issue you are considering.....Reliability. The reliability rating is very low on the chart. I do have a Jeep Patriot owner in the family and through two years of ownership they've never been back to the dealership with any problems.

After looking at the Rogue, the Cherokee, the CRV.....we decided on the RAV4. It was a close race between the CRV and the RAV but I couldn't get over the rear appearance of the CRV (which I believe took the 2015 SUV of the year award).

Wow, that's some very valuable information. I knew Ford had a ton of recalls last year, but I must have been living in a cave because I didn't know they had a buy back program. Lol, now I know why one of the Ford sales guys I was dealing with got so defensive when I was jabbing him about all the Ford Escape recalls. Truth be told, the 2015 Escape is an absolutely beautiful car in my opinion. The 2.0 ecoboost is every bit the V6 Rav4's equal in terms of performance and towing. I loved driving it. But those turbocharged engines scare me. It's such new technology and anything turbocharged requires significantly more maintenance. I really wonder how many, if any, high mileage Ford Escapes we'll see on the roads 5-6 years from now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page