Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

What would you give up your Rav for?

10K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Larryrice321 
#1 ·
So to have some fun, I want to know what you would trade your 4.3 rav in for. Must be another CUV or SUV and must cost less than 35 grand new. Not getting rid of mine because I am in love with it, but hypothetically I would want a cherokee trailhawk v6, a new renegade trailhawk, a forester xt turbo, or an xv crosstrek limited. If they made a turbo rav, I would consider it as well. What would you guys want?

#2 ·
What would I give up my RAV4 for?

Not one damn thing!

But if I had no choice (e.g. my RAV4 were totaled - [shiver!]) it would be the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with lifetime warranty.

#3 ·
Toyota Landcruiser with a turbo diesel engine. In a heartbeat!

Reactions: mlrav
#6 ·
Pre-owned X3 loaded

#7 ·
> Must be another CUV or SUV and must cost less than 35 grand new.

I'm pretty sure "pre-owned" is off the table, too.

(I didn't think understanding the parameters was all that difficult...)

#9 ·
If my RAV was totaled and I was forced in the market, my first look would be at the Acura RDX. A base FWD model would be right at your price limit and negotiations would probably get it well within the limit.

Nissan dealers are advertising some smokin' deals on leftover Muranos now that the new generation is out and those would be worth considering.

#10 ·
In the U.S. the new forester xt only comes in an auto :-( I forgot to mention that if I did not have a 70 mile round trip commute every day, I would surely be driving a nissan xterra pro-4x 6 speed manual. Would rather not get 13mpg though lol.

#13 ·
Well the rav4 will eventually be given to my wife so it will be in the family as long as it can run. That means I'll be in the market for something myself; my only mandatory criteria is must be standard transmission.

I want my next car to be something fun and dependable, a pocket dump and has lots of performance and aftermarket support. Some cars that interest me are the wrx/sti, s2k, integra type r/gsr, civic si, na/b miata, fr-s/brz, 370z, corvette, 4th gen gto.

#14 ·
forgot about the nx f sport. it's a beauty. I think they are going to put that engine in the rav eventually to make up the void of no more v6. Also I like the rav hybrid that will be coming out. 200 hp and 32 combined mpg. best of both worlds. I just wish suv's came in a stick. The only thing that could make me love my rav more is if it were a 6 speed manual.

#16 ·
LOLOL. Hey it is better than most hybrids. Also more than the regular four cylinder. But I agree - not enough at all.

Reactions: ROLLTIDE
#18 ·
Well, I gave up my 1997 RAV4-L last year because it was totaled according to the insurance company, even though I drove it home and to body shops for estimates etc.

Anyhow, I had planned to keep it forever but found the current RAV4 to be too large for my taste, and didn't see any older used RAV4's or Matrix/Vibe for sale that I liked. I am now the happy owner of a Buick Encore AWD.I never saw myself having a Buick but its fine and I like the Buick dealership better than the local Toyota place. More convenient to my house, no high pressure sales person, etc.

#20 ·
I just went through this. Trading in my 2011 RAV4 Limited V6. Looked at the new RAV4 but didn't like what I saw (smaller behind the seats, no 120v, with the tire inside now less storage (and overall less storage just about everywhere (glove compartment, console, back of seats, side door pockets), one less 12v adapter. Has become a me too vehicle.

I have chosen the Forester Touring 2.5i with Technology option. This was one of the few vehicles that I tested that had all the bells and whistles I wanted (heated seats, dual climate control, pushbutton start, adaptive cruise control, backup camera etc in the Eyesight Driving assist system, sunroof, power tailgate) without having to shell out for leather and navigation. It also had enough room for golf clubs sideways in the back which many of this style don't without going to the larger version.

I also like the paddle shifters (I go the automatic route) for easy downshift if I need to pass someone and the fact that it is full time AWD, not the way most manufacturers go with adaptive all wheel drive.

And less than 35k Canadian.

#21 ·
Anything Without Toyota's Traction Control

I've commented on this before, but I hate the traction control and differential lock control. There's nothing like starting to pull out in traffic, having the drive wheel slip and then being stuck there for 5 seconds before it all starts again. I have had my drive wheel slip on a wet surface, let alone slush or ice. I would have to find another mini SUV that had a better drive system since I have lousy weatherf for a good 7 months of the year. And no, I don't need to spend mega bucks for all wheel/ four wheel drive. Other vehicles I've owned with front wheel drive have performed quite well.

#39 ·
I've commented on this before, but I hate the traction control and differential lock control. There's nothing like starting to pull out in traffic, having the drive wheel slip and then being stuck there for 5 seconds before it all starts again. I have had my drive wheel slip on a wet surface, let alone slush or ice. I would have to find another mini SUV that had a better drive system since I have lousy weatherf for a good 7 months of the year. And no, I don't need to spend mega bucks for all wheel/ four wheel drive. Other vehicles I've owned with front wheel drive have performed quite well.
Kodak Jack,
Would you please be more specific about your comments. I have a 2012 4wd base 4 cyl. that gets around quite nicely in snow/ice (slippery conditions). Not sure what your referring to, but I would like to hear more. BTW/ I am not far form you, and I do understand your driving conditions.

#22 ·
I honestly hdan't heard to the Cherokee Trailhawk until now. I'd definitely test drive that.

I've driven a Wrangler Unlimited (Moab edition, so pretty loaded). I loved it and would test drive what a lower budget could give. Definitely drives like a truck (more so than my Tundra), but I really enjoyed it. The 3500lb tow limit is disappointing considering it has a frame. With the right gearing and hitch I don't see why one wouldn't be able to tow 5K. That being said I have a truck to tow.

I'd also test drive an X1 to see if it's big enough. This is the last year of RWD!!!! 2016 it'll be FWD. It's like the last year of the V6 Rav4. Possibly sought after in the used market? Though it's a BMW, so it won't maintain value like a Toyota.

I have 0 interest in the new Rav. Looks like a Tucson, less storage space.. only step up for me would be a 5 speed auto, but the 4 speed doesn't really leave me wanting.

Not new, I really have a thing for the A3 hatch. Unfortunately it's sedan only now in North America. Impreza is sedan only now too.. so I guess I'd try a Forrester.

I'm curious about the Ford Flex. Plenty of space, interesting looks (I'm sure polarizing to some). I can't see it driving very well, but it'd be fun to try out. While I'm there I'd try to find a Focus ST with manual transmission to test drive as well. That's under budget for sure (34K out the door CAD), but not functional enough to replace the Rav, plus the wife dislikes driving standard.

The CT200h was something I wanted to test drive as well, but the base price is misleading. Once you opt for anything it gets expensive quick, plus I've heard the rear seats don't have a lot of space (which is surprising considering the space in the Prius). If it can't fit a convertible car seat while maintaining decent front leg room it's a no go.

Can you get a Highlander for 35K? I'd test drive one, though at this point I'd be leaning more towards a 4Runner (though that's over budget). Also it's probably a poor replacement for the Rav due to size (and my wife being the primary driver). Heck, Highlander is a little big even.

#24 ·
...The CT200h was something I wanted to test drive as well, but the base price is misleading. Once you opt for anything it gets expensive quick, plus I've heard the rear seats don't have a lot of space (which is surprising considering the space in the Prius). If it can't fit a convertible car seat while maintaining decent front leg room it's a no go...
Hmmm, I could see possibly going with the econo Lexus, bet I could keep it under $35k since not much interested in various options.
But not with that front end. Yikes! Deal-breaker! Little putt-putt car 98-horse hybrid, but quiet and smooth with an "L" logo, LOL:

note: image from TheCarConnection.com

#26 ·
Subaru Forester Touring

I just went through this. I will not buy another Rav4 after the way Toyota has treated my friend with his 2008 Rav4. He is using a quart of oil every 800 miles after about 60K. Toyota said that the owner's manual says if you use a quart every 600 miles they might fix the problem. The problem is known, and covers several years and models of Toyota. I strongly suspect their lawyers recommended the change in the owner's manual to CYA. I have never had a new car use oil like that!

So, I traded my 1996 Rav4, with 206K and NO oil usage, in on a 2012 Subaru Forester Touring with a 100K warranty. I still have my fingers crossed, since I bought a 2010 Rav4 Limited before my friend started to have his problems. We will be watching the oil consumption, although I understand that Toyota changed the engine for this model year.

#41 ·
I just went through this. I will not buy another Rav4 after the way Toyota has treated my friend with his 2008 Rav4. He is using a quart of oil every 800 miles after about 60K. Toyota said that the owner's ....

Toyota will fix your friend's RAV4 for free until their updated warranty. I am assuming your friend has an I4.
The 2009-2012 I4 models do not have this issue.

#27 ·
I would seriously consider the Hyundai Santa Fe V6. Meets the below - $35K price criterion. I had a Hyundai Elantra GT and it was a very good and solidly built vehicle and got almost phenomenal gas mileage. Also the 100K warranty is a great plus. The major disadvantage where I live was the lack of Hyundai dealer choice when I bought my RAV, otherwise I would have gone with the Santa Fe.

#30 ·
....a cherokee trailhawk v6, a new renegade trailhawk, a forester xt turbo, or an xv crosstrek limited. If they made a turbo rav, I would consider it as well. What would you guys want?
You and I are on the same wave. But I'm not sure I can trust the new Jeeps.

Although, some on here took your 35K New to mean no used, that would open up a lot more options for a couple of years old, but still warranty-covered vehicles.

I wanted a RAV4 V6 from the moment I read about them and their positive reviews. Our 8 year old is still a grin-inducer when the wife isn't monitoring the go-pedal, and cruising I-15 from Jackson Hole to N. Idaho @ 90mph this warm/dry winter was painless (that's only 10mph over in ID, FWIW).

I'm also a Subie boost-addict (owned 3) but not sure about their latest and greatest XT....oil consumption seems to be a common thread on their NA (naturally aspirated) models, as well as other makes. That 0w oil a contributor?

I'll be interested in the Hybrid model as well. Hopefully, Toyota won't make it a 'Limited' option only like the Highlander - $47K+ - I just don't get it??? Why limit to only the well(er)-heeled? That's RX-450h territory.

An under $30K RAV4 Hybrid would be a consideration.

It'd be a tough choice....I'd have to make. :smile

Td

#32 ·
If something happened to my 2012 RAV4 I would probably get a used Ford Escape 2.0 Turbo. I see them for sale all the time with low miles for under 20 grand and my friends who have them are quite happy with the Escape. I would be afraid to buy a Jeep product based on what I know about them and Chrysler. I have a Dodge Charger that I bought new in 06 and my daughter is driving it as her college car, and it has been a decent car but it is definitely not Toyota quality. We take a lot of road trips so having car problems in a small town in a Subaru/Mazda/Volkswagen/etc would make finding a dealer nearly impossible. I might look at the new Equinox V6 but I hear it really under performs for having over 300HP.

#33 ·
Right now I wouldn't give up my RAV4 because it is in the best condition it could be, it's paid for. Going to be 10 years old this year and runs pretty good, still passes inspection. Got a new muffler (stainless steel muffle my @$$) as the old one rusted away. Had to replace the front brake calipers as the old ones seized up about 2 years ago. But you do the maintenance and the car will last.

Now if I had to get a new car, sorry but it wouldn't be a new RAV4. I don't like what Toyota has done to them.
So I'm leaning heavily right now towards VW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.