Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Mice!

14K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  FixIt 
#1 ·
I opened the lower glove box and the pair of insulated gloves I had in there were chewed to pieces and the insulation almost filled it up. I checked the cabin filter and the top was filled with droppings and what looked like chewed up acorns.
Some questions:
(1) How did they get into the lower glove box?
(2) How did they get into the cabin filter area?
(3) I read some where that there is a screen kit that the dealers have to prevent the mice from getting in. Anyone know the part #?
(4) I also read some where that a favorite nesting spot on the 2.5 liter engine is under the plastic cover on the top of the engine. How do I remove it without breaking something?
(5) What do I use and where and how to apply it to prevent them from using my RAV as their home?
Thank you for your help.
To quote Sylvester the cat "I HATE THOSE MEESES TO PIECES!"

#2 ·
Reactions: ronto
#3 ·
I had some damage in the engine compartment last year from mice. I searched the internet for solutions that would not generate toxic fumes that might be drawn inside the cabin by the ventilation system. I came across this video and began using cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil. I placed about five of them in the engine compartment but not on or against the engine or anything else that gets hot.

I have not experienced any further damage since I began doing last Fall. Additionally, I was pleased that it lasted for weeks being that I could still smell it. I have only had to replace them once since then. Make sure that you use 100% peppermint oil.

#8 ·
I had some damage in the engine compartment last year from mice. I searched the internet for solutions that would not generate toxic fumes that might be drawn inside the cabin by the ventilation system. I came across this video and began using cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil. I placed about five of them in the engine compartment but not on or against the engine or anything else that gets hot.

I have not experienced any further damage since I began doing last Fall. Additionally, I was pleased that it lasted for weeks being that I could still smell it. I have only had to replace them once since then. Make sure that you use 100% peppermint oil.

How to keep mice out of your car engine - YouTube
I'm thinking about inserting about 6 moth balls deep inside the top tufts of the cabin filter. Do you think that would work?

#4 ·
(4) I also read some where that a favorite nesting spot on the 2.5 liter engine is under the plastic cover on the top of the engine. How do I remove it without breaking something?
The plastic cover rests on three silver posts and easily pops right up. I usually lift front one first. Definitely check it-- some nice mice nesting material there:

Reactions: ronto
#7 · (Edited)
I removed the cover today and there were piles of chewed up acorn shells. At least there was no evidence of them chewing on the wires. Apparently this area is the "dinning room".
I'm still wondering where the nest is and where they got into the lower glove box and the top of the cabin filter???
Thanks for showing how to remove the cover.

#10 ·
Vick's VapoRub

I encounter rodent infestation issues quite often. Smear Vick's VapoRub under the hood on parts that don't get hot, like the firewall, strut towers, under the engine cover, etc

They don't like the smell and WILL stay away.

Reactions: ronto and jimski
#13 ·
Called my dealer today and they told me that using the "recirculate" button (middle button on control closest to drivers side) closes a little door to outside air and should prevent mice from getting into the cabin air filter area.
Is this true?

#14 ·
That's not a solution for the damage they can do in the engine compartment. They're known to chew on wiring harnesses which can result in a costly repair. They chewed off some of the material under the hood on my Rav. So, if you have a mouse problem, you're going to want to protect more than just your cabin air system

#18 ·
Stored cars are usually not a problem because the critters are looking for a warm place. You should make sure the tailpipe is plugged up, as rodents, wasps, and even dirt daubers have been known to build a nest in there.

#16 ·
My ML270 had rodents in it at some stage, they ate into a foam bulge in the hood liner and demolished it, along with rubber boots and foam along the firewall (no gnawed cables thankfully) even the brake fluid reservoir cap is half eaten.. my Kubota lawn tractor is the same deal, foam padding, and rubber boots on the injection pump eaten away, plastic connector sheeves on te loom were also nibbled.
not sure what they did to get rid of them but they did it before any serious damage was done.
My other pet peeve is finding good classic computers in the recycling only to find rodent infestation damage in them, unrepairable usually :(

#17 ·
That's one of the worst printer jams I've ever seen! :surprise

#21 · (Edited)
Our neighbor has a cat which catches and usually eats anything which moves and is smaller than she is, and she has even beaten off a raccoon which was trying to steal her food. Our neighborhood appears to be mouse-free. Maybe our neighbor will rent her out - if someone is interested I will ask them . . .:wink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.