Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Seafoam - good to use??

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  tibadoe 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I am new to the forum but was wondering if anyone had experience with sea foam and if they see benefits or risks from using it.

I have an 07 RAV4 4cyl with ~166k
Thanks!
Dito

#2 ·
I haven't used Seafoam in my RAV4 but have on other vehicles and all my small engine stuff. Great for cleaning out a fuel system - mostly if it's gummed up. Also a great fuel stabilizer for wintering. Use it as stated in on the can and you should be ok.

#3 ·
I use it in my lawn mower gas and it lasts for at least 2 seasons. I've used it in other vehicles with high miles with good results. It should not do any harm to the RAV4 and I plan on adding it to my RAV4 next winter.

#4 ·
Used it in my 99 solara v6 with 230k. Haven't tried on the rav4 v6 yet. I did clean out the throttle body and as far in as I could without removing anything else. Rest of the engine runs fine so wasn't thinking of using Seafoam yet.

How many miles on yours and why are you considering Seafoaming?

Dr J

#5 ·
In the fuel tank, I see no harm.
I would not run it in the crankcase... modern engines, particularly those running synthetic oil, simply do not need it.

Running it through the intake to clean out the cylinders? Again, I don't believe this is something that is needed. My wife's '04 had 150k on it and the last smog test (which would be impacted by carbon deposits on the valves or in the cylinders) came back with emissions levels that were well under 5% of the allowed emissions.

#6 ·
In the fuel tank, I see no harm.
I would not run it in the crankcase... modern engines, particularly those running synthetic oil, simply do not need it.
Here's an anecdote about "modern engines".

Last summer, a couple in their 60s came to our garage sale in an unsightly old beat up GM pick-up truck that looked like it had frequently been to hell and back in its long life and was now a moving rust museum. The man's wife was embarrassed to be seen in it. I had a quick chit-chat with the guy who said. "Y'up. She's got over 300K miles and runs perfectly thanks to Seafoam."

FYI.... I just threw in the "seafoam" thing for chytes & giggles. But the rest is true.

#7 ·
I've never been in favor of a "cure in a can" especially for any modern (last 30 years) engine and I've had several cars/trucks with 200K+ miles. The only additive I've used is STP or Motor Honey in old oil burning engines.
The best I could hope for with Seafoam is it doesn't hurt anything in a good running engine. I'd NEVER put it in a transmission.
Wanna use it in your lawnmower? Go ahead but mine starts right up every spring with no magic potions.

#9 ·
Not if you don't use it - or any other "magic potion." Why take a chance when there's no quantifiable benefit in a good running engine. "To keep it running good" doesn't compute for me. I've never even used injector "cleaner" and have probably put half a million miles on EFI cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.