Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Do upgrade in speakers make a noticeable improvement to OEM?

16K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Civiltechyyc 
#1 ·
So, I purchased a 2010 Sport model for wife but we are not too impressed with OEM audio. Does just a upgrade in front speaker make a noticeable improvement or did you consider upgrading head unit as well later? This is a non JBL base audio. By the way who builds these OEM for Toyoa? Those who have just done the speaker upgrade and satisfied please share. I have been considering a Nakamichi 6.5 upgrade.

#2 ·
Just upgrading the HU will make a big difference. Upgrading the speakers is the icing on the cake.

Reactions: CB91710
#3 ·
By the way who builds these OEM for Toyota? Those who have just done the speaker upgrade and satisfied please share. I have been considering a Nakamichi 6.5 upgrade.
My 2008 6-disc changer is made by Fujitsu Ten. The 2011 6-disc changer with XM that I replaced it with is made by Panasonic. They are interchangeable.

#11 ·
night and day difference. I too have a 2010 sport with base audio, the speakers are so crappy that came with it I was shocked when pulling them.

At any rate, upgrade the HU too, an amp is unneeded for most people, but a sub helps, even a small one in the storage compartment.

#15 ·
I was planning on changing all 4 speakers so the rear doors were going to be out anyway but now that you brought that up. I might consider mounting the P300 under the front passenger seat, that way I deal with less wires but I don't know if it will fit.

#16 ·
I'm not sure it'll fit, you'll need to get the measurements from the link and then see what kind of space you have to work with.

#17 ·
Replacing either the HU or the speakers without replacing the other is just bottle-necking you either way. Get a good HU and the speakers limit it, get good speakers and the OEM HU limts them.

Best case scenario is to replace both at the same time and get a nice crisp sound all the way around.

#18 ·
I agree about replacing the HU and speaker system all at the same time for maximum performance but in my situation. This car will be kept with the family for a long time and I'm just waiting for another year or 2 before I upgrade to the latest HU. It just seems every 6 months a new HU from Pioneer is introduced. If you ask what I'm waiting for...would like the Carplay option via streaming Bluetooth without having to take the iPhone out of my pocket and plugging it in the adapter. Right now, no system offers that.

#22 ·
Huh?!? I was referring to Carplay hands free. I currently have Blu Logic hooked up to OEM HU for hands free audio.

#24 ·
Oh, haha. I thought you meant for me.

On a different note, I too have the non JBL audio and I switched all speakers to Rockford Fosgate posted earlier in this thread by Veliksam. The fit and installation was perfect. The sound is just as good as the JBL audio equipped car and it only cost me just under $300 for all the parts.

#26 ·
While you're at it, why not do the rear? The rears only cost me $67 from Amazon discount retailer.

#27 ·
Last December I bought a 2011 Limited w/ the JBL system. I was not impressed with the JBLs at all, all mid-range and no top end. Switched out them out for some Hertz-Audisons, and it is like night and day. Even with the factory head unit. I was surpised how poorly the JBL system sounded, especially since it was the factory upgrade.

#28 · (Edited)
It made a positive difference for me. I didn't have the $$$ to do it all at once so I started with the speakers. After they broke in the sound was much better. Now I did follow up with many more components as funds allowed but the speakers alone did make a difference worth noting. Now I have 500 watts total with 8 speakers + a sub and the sound is quite acceptable to be subtle. That is total watts, not per channel.

Others have systems that put mine to shame but it works well for me with a stock head unit

#29 · (Edited)
I bought some Alpine SPS 610-C speakers and have a line out converter that runs my 10" Pioneer sub with the stock head unit. I'm not all that impressed with the line out and the speakers being fueled by the stock head unit. I think some more eq options will help drive the speakers better. Around Christmas time I'll aim for a Kenwood DDX372BT deck.

Edit: turns out the satellite radio wasn't giving the best sound spectrum. When listening with my iPhone bluetooth the speakers sounded WAY better with still decent amount of bass. Happy now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.