Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2012 Ltd V6 4WD with 3rd row seats + extras - do these exist?

8K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  DVS 
#1 ·
I've been looking for my dream car on autotrader.com for a while now but I can't seem to find it and I'm starting to wonder if it even exists. Maybe I should be searching elsewhere on the net or some other way. My dream car is:

Mandatory -
2012 RAV4 Limited (any color)
4WD
3.5L V6
3rd row seats
-----------------------------------
The stuff I REALLY REALLY want -
Heated leather seats
Nav system
Backup cam with rear view mirror integrated display
Heated side view mirrors with turn signals
Fog lamps

I get close sometimes but there's always at least 2 items missing. I don't have the options packages near me but I think I'd be looking at something with the premium plus and nav upgrades?

Anyway, if the above doesn't exist in the wild, how hard/expensive would it be to capture one that's close and add the missing bits?

For instance, the 3rd row is mandatory so if I find the ltd v6 4wd with 3rd row, can I add 3 rows of leather, heated 1st (power) and 2nd rows, nav system with steering wheel controls (or no controls possibly) and backup cam/rear view mirror? I'd prefer all OEM stuff.

My understanding is that all ltd models come with fog lamps and the heated side view mirrors with turn signals.

OR, if I'm going to add all the goodies, should I get a base with the v6, 4wd and 3rd row then add my toys? Isn't that the same as the ltd I described above? Maybe the base can't accept stuff like the side view mirrors?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it does exist but with the exception of heated 2nd row seats, that's something that was never an option on any Rav4 in existence.

If I were you I would concentrate on the V6, 3rd row seat, and 4wd. If you can find a limited with those things then everything else can be added by yourself. If you can't find a limited then I'd go for the base and still add all the other things.

#4 ·
LOL, thanks man I appreciate the compliment.
If you have deep enough pockets you can actually add the 3rd row seat by deleting the underfloor cargo storage, you'd have to get all the parts required and it'll be expensive but it can be done.

#6 ·
This. I can't imagine an adult in a 3rd row, even in our 4.4, which is much more roomy than our 4.2... and I wouldn't want to put a child back that close to the tailgate, particularly without the airbag protection that the front and "rear" seats have.

#7 ·
You could probably find the exact truck you are looking for without the 3rd row. Once you have that vehicle, the third row can always be added, it is set up for it but from my understanding it was not a huge selling option so it would be very hard to find in a used vehicle.

#8 ·
I've looked into adding the OEM 3rd row and that's a big job. Supposedly there are structural differences in the cars with the 3rd row. It's definitely easier to add a nav system than the 3rd row. :)

I looked at aftermarket 3rd rows but they don't disappear into the rear well like the OEM ones do and I'm a little skeptical about them.

The Highlander is a possibility. The RAV4 is appealing because it's shorter than a full sized SUV but still rides pretty high and it gets decent gas mileage. It wouldn't be an everyday family hauler - we have an '08 Sienna for that. It's more for the few times when both kids want a friend to come over after school or I need to drive the carpool in the morning (5 kids) and the Sienna's not available. A couple of young kids can sit in the back for 30 minutes - no way I'd put adults back there at all except in an emergency.

#10 ·
... A couple of young kids can sit in the back for 30 minutes - no way I'd put adults back there at all except in an emergency.
How big will those kids be by the time you find your precisely spec'd RAV4??? :wink
I agree with not settling for less than you want because you're stuck with it for a long time and that's why I took a month and a plane finding and driving home both my RAV4 and Accord, buuuut locating a reasonably priced V6 3rd-row is gonna be hard enough. So if it has some of the other stuff good. Start from there & add the rest. Happy searching.

#9 ·
I almost found the dream car! The description was spot on BUT there was a mistake and there was no 3rd row. :-(

It was out in California for $24k with 21k miles. The wife and I were already talking about whether to have it shipped to New Jersey or if one of us should fly out and drive it back.

Now we're back to considering a Base and getting all the extras added on. My concern is that the Base was never wired for things like heated seats so it's not just a plug and play add-on. Same with the Nav system especially with the on-steering-wheel controls and getting power to the integrated rear view mirror display for the backup camera.

I guess could get an aftermarket nav system and backup camera. Some people would say the aftermarket stuff available now is much better than the OEM stuff in general but especially compared to 4 year old technology. Any idea if aftermarket stuff would invalidate a VSA?

#11 ·
Great way to get familiar with a new purchase, drive it cross-country. I like the way you operate Dr. Dyno (no pun intended).

I'm going to broaden my search to include the 2011s. I figure as long as the mileage isn't outrageous, there's not much difference between a 2011 and 2012. I did notice the Nav system changed and I'm still in the process of checking the safety ratings, recalls and TSBs on the 2011s.

#12 ·
So far there haven't been any recalls or TSBs (apart from the TSB about transmission whine, which if I remember applies to all of the 4.3s with the V6) on my 2011 and there were no changes which would increase the safety ratings of the 2012s over the 2011s.

#13 ·
I have the same experience with a 2011 V6 as Blogson. Just be sure to check VINs when researching.

You have my sympathies because you are looking for a very rare bird, and dealers know it. This is a vehicle one does not just happen to like as he walks through the inventory. The dealer knows.

Oh, do you really need 2nd row heated seats? I installed Wet Okole covers and they are good enough even here in Minnesota.

#14 ·
Glad to hear you weren't subject to the following ...

NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V383000

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...a.make=TOYOTA&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1048797

SUMMARY:

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006 through 2011 RAV4 and 2010 Lexus HS250h passenger vehicles manufactured from October 2005 through September 2010. If the nuts for adjusting the rear wheel alignment are improperly tightened during service, the rear suspension arm (rear tie rod) may develop unwanted movement and rust leading to thread damage and eventual failure. Failure of the rear tie rod will cause an abrupt change in the vehicle's alignment. CONSEQUENCE:

Failure of the rear tie rod could cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the tie rods and replace any that have rust or corrosion on the alignment adjustment threads. All of the rear tie rods will then be encased in an epoxy to prevent future environmental damage. Due to limitations in parts, the recall remedy will be launched in phases from September 2013 through mid-April 2014. All owners will receive notification of the recall, with most receiving second notifications when parts are available in their area. IMPORTANT: This recall supersedes Toyota and Lexus recall 12V-373. All vehicles that have been inspected and remedied under the previous recall need to be re-inspected and have the appropriate remedy applied.

#15 ·
I think I also read something about a rubber hose for the oil system bursting so Toyota replaced it with a metal pipe/tube. I know my wash machine at home has rubber hoses with a stranded metal sheath around it to cut down on the potential for catastrophic failure especially when no one's home.

#17 ·
I have a 2011 V6 with 3rd row seats. It's not the limited. When I did my research, it was only available in the west coast. I didn't want to spend the extra money to have it ship. I got a Base model instead.

As for the 3rd row seat, the seat is fine. There is no space to put your foot. You have to move the 2nd row forward to get space on the 3rd row. IMO is only for a short trip or small kids. After the 3rd row seat is up, you have no space to put anything. Hope this helps.

I"m thinking of trading it in for a Minivan soon.

#18 ·
I noticed that too about the West Coast. Strange but I guess there's a geographic component to the distribution of models and trims. Someone must do market research to figure out how many of each trim to send where.

We put the kids in the back of a Base with 3rd row for a test drive just to see what that would be like. Of course the kids thought it was great but I noticed there was no FOOT room as you said.

Do you miss not having any of the limited goodies?

As a first time minivan owner ('08 Sienna) I have to say as a class of vehicle minivans are awesome! We have the 3rd row that folds into the floor and when you drop those seats, you can fit a Boeing 747 in the hanger. I can't tell you how many times we've put the 2 kids in the 2nd row and piled 3 weeks worth of luggage, toys, bikes, coolers, etc. into the back without having to play jigsaw puzzle to get everything to fit. We just toss it in and go.

Without luggage but with the 3rd row seats up, we toss in 5 kids and go without a second thought.

The only drawback is the pathetic mileage. We average 16 mpg. Most of our driving is suburban side streets with some highways.

#21 ·
Worry less, our friend. Even those who had vehicles recalled are generally happy today after the corrections were made.

Good luck in your quest. I've scanned our huge dealerships here once-a-week, and no such thing has come up. Be well!

#25 · (Edited)
Good (and interesting) question!

A number of bits of information online indicate you are correct, however I've found a couple of examples of used vehicles (since sold) where it does appear to have been available in leather.

The best example I found was this 2011 Limited V6 4x4 with 3rd Row and Navigation:

http://www.seattleautobrokers.com/2011_Toyota_RAV4_Lynnwood_WA_253383042.veh

Most specifically, the first picture in the second row of photos clearly shows leather 3rd-row seats:

So it appears what you're looking for WAS manufactured.

Best of luck in your search!

Reactions: pico and vanib
#26 ·
I did a little quick searching. Here's one I believe with everything you wanted except leather and nav:

Certified Used 2012 Toyota RAV4 For Sale | Gresham OR

Only 28,000 miles.

Truth be told, my understanding is the Nav was pretty bad. You're probably much better off putting in a 3rd party head unit for much better Nav.

The seats can be reupholstered in (MUCH better) leather if you really want that. Mine has leather, and it's about the cheapest leather (and vinyl) you can possibly imagine.

#28 ·
The nav in my 2008 Sienna is good enough. The interface is ok once you get used to it and it hasn't sent me over any cliffs or out-of-service bridges and I haven't even updated it. Sure it doesn't speak the names of streets for turns or have the 3 dozen new Starbucks that have opened around town in the last 7 years but I don't use the point of interest feature anyway. I'm mildly interested in Entune on a 2012. The 2011 nav system is almost identical to the one in my '08 - there's something to be said for consistency.

I saw that one in Oregon online. It's definitely interesting. I asked if they could put leather and a nav system in. I haven't heard back yet but once you add those items plus shipping to NJ, I think it'll be way more than I want to spend (about $20,000).

I was going to stick with all OEM stuff installed by the dealer because I figured an aftermarket head would void any extended platinum warranty. Same with heated leather seats, though unheated leather couldn't possibly void anything, I assume.

#29 ·
I posted the picture here so you (and others) would be able to see the leather seats after that listed one's page was taken down.

As near as I can tell, the leather seats in the 3rd row WERE factory-installed. It's conceivable they were 3rd-party, but I'm really doubting it. The literature describing the leather seats isn't clear about whether the 3rd-row was factory leather, but as I recall from my previous research that it sure seemed to be factory.

It's my understanding that heated front seats were the norm for the Limited. My Limited with leather has them, and I bought it new.

Best of luck in your search.

#30 ·
I don't see a link.

99% of Limiteds came with heated leather but you could conceivably order one with cloth seats which would get you the ability to have the 3rd row. At least that's my understanding and that's why a Ltd with 3rd row is a very rare bird - most people buying a Ltd want leather.

#32 ·
I don't see a link.
I mean't that I posted the picture *in this thread* so it would be visible if the original "for sale" post was deleted, which apparently it was.

99% of Limiteds came with heated leather but you could conceivably order one with cloth seats which would get you the ability to have the 3rd row. At least that's my understanding and that's why a Ltd with 3rd row is a very rare bird - most people buying a Ltd want leather.
It is my understanding that you could get factory leather seats all the way back to include the 3rd row, with the front seats being heated. In other words: what you're looking for.

The RAV4 in the original "for sale" post where that picture of the 3rd-row leather seats came from had exactly that.

But it's almost certainly going to be a very tough find, especially when narrowing it down to a single year (2012). Most anyone that's got one in that spec (it's still relatively new) will want to hang onto it, even if just for depreciation reasons.

#33 ·
I think I'm going to stop looking for a Ltd. The one I want is fairly rare so that the extra cost just doesn't justify it. I actually found 3 that are very close to what I was looking for, all on the West Coast. As per other threads, the West Coast gets different trim related options than the East Coast so that's why I've only found them out West. By the time I added heated leather, etc. and either shipping or a plane ticket out and drive back, it isn't worth it. I was hoping to stay closer to $20,000/<30k miles and the only way I'm going to do that is by getting a Base model. Those exists on the East Coast within my budget.

Here are the West Coast ones:
Toyota Certified Used Vehicles - Search Inventory ($25k/38k miles)
Toyota Certified Used Vehicles - Search Inventory ($25k/28k miles)
Toyota Certified Used Vehicles - Search Inventory ($23k/50k miles)

And an East Coast one (in NC) I'd settle for as-is (Base):
Toyota Certified Used Vehicles - Search Inventory ($21k/28k miles)

So it would cost me ~$5k more to go from the Base to the Ltd trim (with add-on heated leather, nav, and backup cam).

#34 ·
Yeah, considering that what you were ideally looking for when it was new (only 2-3 years ago) cost about $32-34K, finding a good one now for about $20K would be pretty much impossible, unless it had been in an accident or something.

#37 ·
Geez, a brand new RAV4 could go for $34,000? Is that what they get for a top of the line 2015 RAV4? The loaded '08 Sienna we bought in 2011with 18,000 miles sold for around $40,000 new and we paid $30,000 out the door. I don't know why I'm thinking this way but I'd expect a RAV4 to be significantly less. By my calculation, $25k plus heated leather, nav and a backup cam on top of shipping, tax and an extended warranty would put me at almost $30k! Maybe I'm wrong in thinking a RAV4 should be cheaper.

I guess if I do the math, the $40k Sienna was $28k before taxes and fees so that's a 30% discount. A $34k RAV4 could conceivably be a good deal if I could get one at the same 30% discount which puts me at $23,800. But that would be for a pretty low mileage car. Then again, the loaded Sienna wasn't THAT hard to find whereas this particular RAV4 is.

I think the bottom line is going to be how I feel about the car. If I'm always going to regret not getting the fully loaded RAV4 then I have to find a way to afford it. If I can get over it then I can find a suitable one at the price I want. It's a big chunk of change for something that I'll have for many years and use daily so I'm inclined to get what I want and not settle.

#36 ·
That last one looks too good to be true.

I'd be suspicious it had been in an accident, or suffered water damage from Hurricane Sandy, or some such.

EDIT: Ooops...my bad. For some reason I thought it was a Limited, when in reality it's a Base.

#40 ·
Seriously? And it's a 2WD, right? More like the 1% of the 1% of the 1%. I can't believe that was on the lot. Was this in Louisiana?

The Blu-Logic Bluetooth system you have, that's 3rd party, right? The phone call controls look like what I've seen on a 2011 with the nav system but I've never seen it with the normal radio/CD player head unit.

#41 ·
Seriously? And it's a 2WD, right? More like the 1% of the 1% of the 1%. I can't believe that was on the lot. Was this in Louisiana?
Yep, 2WD, which is pretty much all they stock and sell here. And this one was on the lot.

The Blu-Logic Bluetooth system you have, that's 3rd party, right? The phone call controls look like what I've seen on a 2011 with the nav system but I've never seen it with the normal radio/CD player head unit.
Technically, the BluLogic is aftermarket, but is sold and marketed by Toyota. It's similar to the Gentex auto-dimming mirror that my RAV came with. They are port-installed or dealer-installed options. The BluLogic doesn't even NEED a head unit. What it does is commandeer the speakers for its own use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.