Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Bought a V6 today, looking to add a hitch, a roof rack, and bigger tires

6K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  rav4system 
#1 ·
After used car shoping for way to long, I finally pulled the trigger on what I think was the best compromise for me! Picked up a 2012 V6 Limited in Silver, and want to start personalizing it asap.
Things I plan on doing after much searching and research.

Add class 3 hitch to tow my 16' Sea Ray jetboat occasionally, 12miles roundtrip.

Add a low profile roof rack, make it stand out from the crowd and add some extra versitility.

Go from stock 17s to 16s with more sidewall and an overall larger diameter, to increase beach driving performance when airing down and worry less about potholes, etc. while adding a little bit more of an agressive look.

Also would like to remove the rear cover and have a matching 5th wheel/tire exposed.

I'm not trying to make it a Wrangler, just a little more "trucky" than it currently looks.

Last time I had a car that I modded was about 10years ago when I had a Subaru Forester Xt, which of course I lowered, plus sized the rims, exhaust, uppipe, downpipe, etc.

Looking forward to seeing what others have done to their Powerful little SUVs!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure if 16s will fit over the brakes......you could put 245/65-17s on it.....I hear those fit no problem......I have aftermarket wheels....window vents.....tinted front windows to match the rear.....hood deflector.....tow hitch.....projector retrofit headlights.....led fog lights.....led interior lights.....aftermarket stereo with backup camera.......gonna add nerf bars soon.....lots of things.....look thru the site and you will see all kinds of good ideas.......welcome to the party....

#3 ·
Yeah there is a thread on here somewhere where people have posted their mods... You can see mine in posted in my garage. And always ask if you have a specific question, this forum is insanely helpful and informative. Enjoy the new Rav!

#4 ·
Thanks fellas, I've been doing alot of research. Hitch is on, and rims and tires next purchase. I still am considering the 16s since base models come with 16's. Ill have to measure my brake clearance before I order and see if there is going to be plenty of clearance to be sure.
I'm thinking black wheels 16x7 with 255/65/16 general grabbers for a more trucky vibe, but not to crazy.

#8 ·
Didn't realize that it has bigger brakes, but yeah I just checked the clearance with the stock limited rims and there really isn't that much clearance so I'll continue to search around for tires in the 17" size, instead of risking buying a 16" unless I can check the fit first.
Mlrav can you post pics of your car with the stock rims and larger tire? I dont remember seeing that when looking through the long wheel/tire thread and it is an option that I was considering. Also what model tire do you have and what do you think of them?
Thanks all

#9 ·
I've got General Altimax HPs that I bought from Tire Rack. They cost $88 each as closeout tires. Since they were cheap I took a chance as I've not had Generals before. So far I love them. They handle well, are good in rain and snow, seem to be wearing well and are quiet and comfortable. I don't know if you can still get them. If not, other manufacturers make the same size. I've not had any clearance or rubbing problems. I don't know how to post pics. But I'll try.

#10 ·
I am in Canada and know there are some differences between Canadian and American vehicles but, I have an 07 V6 Sport which I have 18" stock wheels on in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Switch them out for the Winter months for a set of 16" with winters on them. No issues what so ever with brake clearance.

#11 ·
My base V6 4wd came with 225/65R17, and my snow tires are 225/70R16 on steel first generation Highlander rims. The 16" rims fit over the brake calipers with no issues. Both sets of tires do just fine on the soft sand of Cape Cod (when aired down to 12psi, of course).

#12 ·
Thanks, I've been searching for Highlander rims so that's great info. In particular the 16" dark metallic ones from the first gen.
Also decided I'm going to install the stiffer rear springs from the 3rd row model. I often drive around with weight in my car(3-4dozen liquor bottles to be exact) and plan on towing so it'll help with both, additionally raise the hitch off the sand a little for beach driving.

#13 ·
Hi! Welcome! I too came from owning 3 subarus...a 1995 2.2 legacy stick awd wagon modded with an intake and bigger tires and wheels as a daily, a 2004 wrx premium which was modded to the gills and setup for rallycross, and lastly a 2008 impreza hatch that we absolutely hated with a passion. I bought the V6 rav because it can pretty much dust the older forester xt, it is more of a sleeper, gets way better gas milage, has more room, has lockable center diff, and doesnt take premium fuel. I will post pictures of it for you. It is a black 2011 V6 with the sunroof and 17 inch wheels. I just bought conti lx20 tires for it and adore them. I kept mine stock size but when i need new ones again I am going to keep the 17 inch wheels and upsize to a 235 or a 245 65 17. Doesnt really affect the gas milage from what I hear. The roof rack does though. I suggest if you are only carrying bikes to grab a thule spare tire mount carrier. I love mine. Also as far as hitches go, the curt one is great and reasonably priced/easy to install. Just so you know you can get aluminum pedals and shift knobs that are made exactly for our ravs as well if you want that subaru feel. I did and they look great. I also have an avs aeroshield bugshield on the front and yellow laminx on the foglights as well as a beautiful westin contour bullbar on the front. You will not regret going with toyota. I thought I would but I don't one bit. message me if you have any questions.>:D

#16 ·
I'll look into the bags, but to be honest, I haven't read about a downside to the 3rd row springs as of yet. I have a buddy that works at a Toyota Dealer, so I told him to get me a pirce on the springs, haven't heard back yet so I'll read up on the airbags in the meantime.

I ended up going with the Curt Hitch and installed that last week, did a 4" rise Reese setup. And it looks like a decent height for my trailer and to protect the spare tire cover if someone tries to bump/park me.

I'm leaning towards a 16" rim setup but still can't make up my mind between a bunch of different setups, so I don't want to rush into it. I did already curb my 17" limited wheels, and it really ruined my night. There is a decent amount of sidewall so it was just a bad combination of turning into a high curb when I was careless and in a rush.

I keep hearing about roof racks killing gas mileage, I understand that it will negatively affect it, but I've always had them on my cars, so not to concerned.

Danbob, I am very impressed with the power and acceleration of the V6, but my 2004 Forester XT 5spd, would have smoked it by a full second 0-60 in stock trim. That being said, the rav4 offers alot more space and more utility, and like you mentioned, regular vs premium gas is huge as well! Still miss my subie though, and it's been years since I've had it.

#18 ·
I miss my wrx too and I sold it in 09 lol. I will probably buy another one at some point. I didn't realize your fozz was a stick. Having a stick will drop that 0-60 time by a ton for sure. Just so u know adding only an intake and a High flow muffler in the rav will bump it up by 15-20 HP and drop you quarter mile time down into the High 13 second range if your reaction time is good. Taking my factory croasbars off didn't provide much of a gas milage difference but it did reduce the wind noise nicely.

#19 ·
Stock roof racks I'm not concerned with affecting mpg, I meant adding a cargo basket or ski racks(for fishing poles in summer, snowboards in winter)
Farmer, what mudguards did you get, please share a pic as I have been meaning to look into that as well.

Danbob, yeah the 5 speed XT in 2004 was the quickest year ever produced, the hearing was so short that they actually changed it in later years to get better fuel exonomy and the new ones only come in automatic. Not to concerned about adding more hp to the RAV4, as I think it has plenty for its purposes.

I finally think that I came to a decision on wheels and tires. Gonna stick with stock rims, buy a matching one for the rear, and go with 245/65/17 cooper adventurer A/T. Looking to buy the spare rim today, and do the tires as soon as the rim gets here, probably next week.

#24 ·
I didn't want it on, and I knew it wouldn't fit over the tires that are approximately 1inch taller and 1inch wider. So I didn't even try it. That said, I am unsure if it would fit over the alloy wheel with a stock size tire. My RAV4 is the limited as well, incase you want more info, so it's the hard shell tire cover.

#25 ·
If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it if you could try putting the cover on in order to know with 100% certainty either way whether or not it will fit.

Thanks much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.