Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Dyno or synthetic oil?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  lacro 
#1 ·
What is the current thinking about which oil to use, dyno or synthetic? My 2012 4 cyl came with dyno oil, but all my freebee oil changes are now done. I will be doing my own changes from now on.

I wonder if it's worth switching to synthetic even though the required change interval is the same for both (six months/5000 mi.) The Rav is driven very little, 2-3k per year. The six months requirement seems dumb when the vehicle will only have 1000-1500 miles in that time period.

Also, what is everybody using as far as viscosity, 0-20 or 5-20? Manual says either can be used. The Rav sees North East US weather extremes, 90's in summer, zeros in winter.

One more question: What's the current best filter socket, and where to get it?

#2 ·
From a practical and realistic standpoint, synthetic oil is the better oil and given your climate extremes, may be the best choice. Synthetics can go much longer between oil changes.

Toyota, however, does not recommend extending the oil change interval when using synthetics. If you want to preserve your powertrain warranty, you should follow their recommendation and change it every six months. By the way, if you are doing it yourself don't forget to document your oil changes.

If warranty is not the issue, I would change the oil to synthetic and with your mileage, change it annually. For the record that is exactly what I do with my other vehicle which sees about the same usage as your Rav.

#4 ·
As soon as my freebies were done I switched to 5w-20 Mobil 1 synthetic. Staying with the 5K change interval. In the overal scheme of things, depreciation, fuel, tires, insurance, etc. the cost difference between dinosaur and synthetic oil is not worth talking about.

#6 ·
Go with synthetic oil and with your mileage , change it once per year. Change the oil filter "only" every 6 months if you want to.
I use amsoil synthetic in my Corolla (which has 200,00 km's) and have since 10,000 km's. (i bought it new)I go around 10,000 km's ,change the filter, then 10 thousand more km's and change the filter and oil. My corolla engine doesn't burn a drop of oil. My Rav on the other hand is in the group of engines that burn excessive oil. I've since changed to mobil 1 for now, and maybe even going with dinosaur oil soon, untill they repair my issue. Synthetic oil protects in the extreme heat and doesn't get like molasses in the extreme cold weather. Both of which I deal with. I run amsoil synthetic in every engine I own.....

#8 ·
There is no point in using synthetic oil for a couple of thousand miles to be thrown out in six months. Standard 5W20 by any major brand will work just fine.

The every six months/5K miles thing Toyota requires is indeed stupid. You also must continue that if you bought Toyota extended warranty. My '08 Limited was purchased new in Jan. of '09.
Since then it has had TWELVE oil & filter changes in 19,000 miles!!!!!!!! They are mandatory for the warranty. Her car was bought in '07 and has had FOURTEEN oil & filter changes. It's just over 15K miles. A total waste of time, money, and oil but we've little choice.

Can you imagine the cost had we used synthetic? Neither engine has ever had dirty oil in it......never in there long enough to get dirty.

#12 ·
There is no point in using synthetic oil for a couple of thousand miles to be thrown out in six months. Standard 5W20 by any major brand will work just fine.

The every six months/5K miles thing Toyota requires is indeed stupid. You also must continue that if you bought Toyota extended warranty. My '08 Limited was purchased new in Jan. of '09.
Since then it has had TWELVE oil & filter changes in 19,000 miles!!!!!!!! They are mandatory for the warranty. Her car was bought in '07 and has had FOURTEEN oil & filter changes. It's just over 15K miles. A total waste of time, money, and oil but we've little choice.

Can you imagine the cost had we used synthetic? Neither engine has ever had dirty oil in it......never in there long enough to get dirty.
Just bottle the used oil and re-use when warranty is over. Call it the Texas Oil Recyling Program :)

#10 ·
I have the 2.5L I4 from 2009--essentially the same engine as the new 4.4 RAVs. But as RTexasF noted, I'm saddled with the 6 months/5k requirement to maintain warranty, even though the same 2.5L engines today only require 10k intervals.

Come on Toyota, you could be a little more nimble than that.

So I have one more year on my extended warranty--then will be switching to one year/10k intervals with Mobil 1 5w-20 synth, with a 6-month swap out of oil filter. Several have said the oil will last longer than the filter, so will go that route.

#11 ·
So my new to me 2011 Rav4, 4cyl...basic 2wd just came home with 40k on her yesterday from a Toyo Dealership. The sales person told me they use a synthetic blend? Is this correct as I see mostly talk about full synthetics on here. Yes still have 2 years on power train Warranty...damn, feeling in the dark, traded in my Jeep that I maintained for 6 years and knew everything about her. Love the Rav4 feel I got a great gently used ride. Any and all "should dos or don't do or be careful of's are welcomed....Cpt. Jt

#14 ·
Being the OP of this thread, I have gotten many answers to my questions, but the confusion continues. I just purchased the extended warranty, and I guess I need to follow the rules set forth by Toyota. Does anyone have personal experience with a warranty be denied because the oil change interval was not followed to the letter 5000/6 month. I mean is the warranty void if I miss one day, or one mile??

I think this whole thing is total BS. I go back to the days when oil was changed at 2000 mile intervals, now I have upped that to 3000 mi. The advances in lubrication technology in the past 20 years has driven car manufacturers to recommend 10K intervals (normal driving).

However, my RAV (2012) still has 5000 oil change intervals, which I feel is way beyond my 3K thinking. But, then comes the 6 months thing - WTF?? I may only drive my "Garage Queen" 1000-1500 miles in 6 months! BUT - to maintain my warranty I need to change this "clean" oil every six month? Is this for real Toyota??

If I was using common sense, for the mileage we drive (2-3k year), I would switch to Mobil 1, 0-20, and change the filter at 6 months, change the oil at 1 year with a total mileage of less than 3000, but to maintain warranty, that won't work?

The bottom line: How strict is Toyota with oil change intervals and warranty?? Would like to hear from others experiences with denied warranty issues, either 3/36 or extended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.