Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Auto LSD red light and check engine light

123K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  breadjamez 
#1 ·
Was driving my 2012 RAV4 2.5L FWD today on the highway and the red Auto LSD light started to flash on and the check engine light came on too. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with how it drives, but the lights don't go off. Turned the traction control on and off several times, but didn't do anything.

Thoughts on what is wrong and any way to fix without taking to dealer?

#5 ·
Paper clip trick may be old school but it can read ABS, traction control, and auto LSD codes from the anti-skid computer. Your code reader at the auto parts store can only read engine codes. LOL

#7 ·
Turns out the DTC from Auto Zone was P0171- System too lean. Took it to Dealership as the car is under extended warranty, and they diagnosed the problem as a purge valve stuck open. My guess is that since the purge valve was stuck open the engine was sucking in air thus causing the lean code.

#9 ·
I have a same going on right now. Got my it figured with my OBD code reader, showing code 0138 which is O2 sensor. Apparently ECU figures that there is malfunction in the engine monitoring and cutting off LSD, which causing the flashing warning light. So, I am going to check o2 sensor first.

#11 ·
I know this is an old post but wanted to add this information for possible future issues that someone may have.....My daughters 2012 had this issue, blinking Auto LSD with CEL. This occurred very soon after an oil change so I was suspicious that the crew at the quick change maybe fooled around with something. I found a hose pulled out of the air flow pipe near the mass flow sensor. I know they pulled the cover to check on the air filter and this is probably when the hose pulled out so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they did not do this on purpose. Anyway I pulled the negative cable on the battery to reset the lights and the problem went away and has not returned.

#13 ·
I had this come up a while back. I talked with a service advisor and she said it was a solenoid to advance/retard the camshaft. The usual cause was debris in the engine oil. Changing the oil may have dislodged a bit of debris.

I was getting on the verge of replacing he solenoid units, but after 3 or 4 episodes, it went away and hasn't been a problem since.

#15 ·
I basically treat it as a "hey it's moist!" notification
That's not something that I would leave as-is. Maybe is just an ABS sensor that is cracked. Or can be something worse.

Example: My colleague had issues happening on wet days for about a year (not just code, but vibrations too). Took the car to 3 different shops that wanted to replace the AC compressor, alternator, accessory belt idler (that one he accepted)...
Only to see one day that the serpentine belt was miss-aligned on the new tensioner. Took the car to the shop only to find out that the rubber on the harmonic balancer was basically broken apart and the balancer pulley was "walking out" from crankshaft. That would have damaged lots of things if really flew out while driving.
The same rubber broke off in my Sonata and was making squeaking noises when road was wet (water spray). I only find it when I was doing timing belt, when I saw that the timing marks where completely off (that separated part rotated).

#19 ·
I had the same issue of having check engine light on with blinking Auto LSD light on my 2012 Rav4. As stated in the previous threads here, the hose that connects to the engine was loose after checking the air filter. I reconnected the hose, disconnect the negative pole of the battery and reconnect, and then the those warning lights are gone! Thank you so much for sharing this info!!