rear tire inner wear - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
rear tire inner wear

so for the last week I felt the rear of my rav4 was acting a bit weird, didn't have time to look until today...

pressure is good on all four tires. I get on my knees to check if a stabiliser bar is broken, but then I see how the tires are worn on the inside! i went to my mechanic, he says nothing is loose/broken.

only thing I can think of is that towing the travel trailer (400# on the tongue with a 600# weight distribution hitch setup and rear air spring) was too much for the alignement, and something became loose. we did about 1200km with the travel trailer this summer (not that much) and with the rear air spring I should be good for 800# in the back

new tires have been ordered, and car is in for an alignement, no suspension recalls as it's a 2012. bummer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150914_160139.jpg (226.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150914_160144.jpg (173.5 KB, 41 views)

2007 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD (bought back after dealer messed it up)
2012 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD, setup for towing with p3 brake controler, airbags rear helper springs, 15k atf cooler.
Toys: Doral sunquest 170, Princecraft Vectra 19, Jayco Swift slx 154bh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:37 PM

Looks like the classic "out of alignment" problem on your rear wheels. Did you ever have it aligned since you've owned it?
I'm guessing the alignment shop will tell you your rear alignment is off, but if it isn't, something has be loose or worn back there.
What do you mean when you say you could feel something was wrong when driving it?

Kevin
NB Canada
08 Rav Limited 4-cylinder
Amsoil synthetic oil
(since burning lots of oil...Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic now , soon to be 10w40 pennzoil)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcules View Post
Looks like the classic "out of alignment" problem on your rear wheels. Did you ever have it aligned since you've owned it?
I'm guessing the alignment shop will tell you your rear alignment is off, but if it isn't, something has be loose or worn back there.
What do you mean when you say you could feel something was wrong when driving it?
It was never aligned, guess I never needed one in the past...

I could feel the steering response was a bit off, and yesterday it rained a lot, I didn,t like the feeling when going on the highway, rear felt light. when I got home I felt if the wheels had movement, but didn't get on my knees since it was raining like crazy.

2012 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD, setup for towing with p3 brake controler, airbags rear helper springs, 15k atf cooler.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
just got a call from the dealership, car is ready, camber was normal, but there was a bit of toe in on all 4 corners.

he says wear like this is normal on a rav4 when towing . my weight distribution setup was probably incorrect (no agressive enough), and the rear was too low, and even a inch lower is enough to wear the rears like this....

expensive mistake on my part I guess. but a new set of tires is cheaper than trading my rav4 for a truck ;-)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good thing you got down and looked. Those were looking pretty bad. A rear tire popping while towing (or any time) is no bundle of fun I can assure you.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too much negative camber and toe OUT usually causes inner tire wear. Your currently alignment numbers don't really matter, as they were done at the current ride height. Camber dramatically changes as the ride height changes. In almost every case, your camber will become more negative as you compress the suspension. This is by design. More negative camber more corning traction. As you corner the outside tire compress. I assume that the wear occurred when you were pulling your trailer. How sagged where you? Pump up those airbags!

I smoked a set of tires so bad once on a 1000 mile trip where I was hauling almost 1000K worth of rafting gear. Halfway through the trip I had to rotate tires as I thought I might wear through them.

2012 4wd i4 3rd row
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Too much negative camber and toe OUT usually causes inner tire wear. Your currently alignment numbers don't really matter, as they were done at the current ride height. Camber dramatically changes as the ride height changes. In almost every case, your camber will become more negative as you compress the suspension. This is by design. More negative camber more corning traction. As you corner the outside tire compress. I assume that the wear occurred when you were pulling your trailer. How sagged where you? Pump up those airbags!

I smoked a set of tires so bad once on a 1000 mile trip where I was hauling almost 1000K worth of rafting gear. Halfway through the trip I had to rotate tires as I thought I might wear through them.
the air bags were at 20psi, believe me, I will raise the pressure on those airbags and readjust the wd hitch next time I pull the trailer! I also think that the air pressure in the tire was a bit low when towing, I always run 35psi in the back, and the outer shoulder more worn than the middle.

since the camber was normal, I'm guessing the wear was from when I was towing, I'm just surprised I didn't realize is sooner, I usually check the whole car once a month

new yoko parada spec-x will be in soon, and I don't plan on messing those up!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For what it's worth......when I used to tow a 5,000 lb boat EVERY weekend my rear tires wore out very quickly, although evenly. I had air shocks back then. This wear was common over several vehicles but none were trucks. This was not a RAV by the way. You should be in good shape now.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
I did my front brakes last night, and didn't see any bolts that looked new or touched. ( I was charged 8$ for 2 new bolts- lol)

what would they touch to adjust the front toe in?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Adjusting the toe is simply loosening clamp bolts on the tie rod sleeve, between the steering rack and wheel hub. The sleeve is threaded like a turnbuckle so turning the sleeve will adjust the length of the tie rod. Sometimes those clamp bolts get rusty, they do get a lot of road crud. And some bolts have a black finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page