Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

My V6 RAV4 is 10 - I'm keeping it!

13K views 70 replies 28 participants last post by  DVS 
#1 ·
Well, this is 2016. That makes my 2006 RAV4 10 years old. Gonna sell it? NO WAY!
A quick story why.
Just got back to CT from a trip to Las Vegas for a Harley tuning course. And no, not a dime spent gambling.
Picked up my wheels from EZ car rental. After being warned from reviews about the upcharge attempts, such as an extra $120 for insurance and $30 to refill the tank, I firmly refused them all and got the car for $107 for 4 days. (Gas cost me $10.) I'd read about some of the iffy cars people got so I was pleasantly surprised when mine was a brand new 2016 Camry with 33 miles.
After a few wrong turns, (it was 3AM my-body-time) I got ready to enter I-15 North. Knowing they'd discontinued the V6 in the RAV4 but wondering if they had in the Camry (Kyle Busch's ad from last year had one), I said to myself, "Time to find out!" Right foot to the floor = NOPE, this one must have the 2.5L 4-banger. Okay it'll get me around, and maybe 30 years ago it was fast, but today it's just adequate for the masses. So I drove those few days leaving extra room to merge or get in the correct lane ahead of my GPS's directions. (Every street is 4 or 6 lanes in North Las Vegas and the lane markers don't have lines just worn out reflectors.) :doh:

Couldn't wait to get home! Landed in Providence where I'd left my V6 + Electric Accord at an off-airport parking service where they have it warmed up and waiting for you. You can guess what I did. Pulled out on Route 1, empty at 11:30 PM, and floored it. :D :wink This is the way it's supposed to be!! After a stop for a bite at Wendy's I pulled onto the ramp for the 4-lane connector to I-95. Saw headlights behind me. No matter, I was doing 75 and pulling away by the time I merged. Backed down to 68 for the trip home, knowing our RAV4 waiting there is even just a little quicker. Man, it's good to be home! :cheers: Even the lines on the roads are comforting.

See less See more
#2 ·
My stepdad has a 2010 Camry with the V6. It's very fast (just a bit quicker than the RAV4), and quiet. Kind of a stealth car. It's pretty fun to drive.

But it doesn't have AWD, ground clearance, a full-sized spare tire, and can't haul much. However, he has a Tacoma for that.

As I only want 1 vehicle, the RAV4 V6 pretty much does it ALL. :thumbs_up:

#5 ·
Quite a number of times having the V6 RAV has made possible passing maneuvers on our narrow and twisty mountain roads which aren't possible with a 4-banger, as I know from personal experience. I'm not giving that up unless something with comparable power and price is available.

Vehicle rentals - we always refill the fuel tank ourselves just before returning the vehicle - much less expensive than having the rental agency fill it with their gold-priced fuel!

#7 ·
Couple more thoughts:
At $2/gal how would you put $30 in the tank? You'd have to take it back on fumes. Big winner for them!

I also think I was being set up from the start since ASA I got to the counter the woman was hollering to an employee (a ghost?) behind me, "Tell them it's $100 a day." Then she told me I was getting a really good deal. Guess I was supposed to jump at the $237 for four days. Paid $107 instead, and $44 of that was taxes & fees on top of my reserved rate of $15.88/day.

On the car, again a 2016 Camry with 33 miles, sure sounded like it had bad wheel bearings as there was a not-to-muted howling at all speeds on all roads. Having driven Hondas for years I'm familiar with road noise but this was distinctively different. Figured that's just the way it was but it would keep me from buying a Camry, at least this one. If I'm not mistaken didn't someone with a 4.4 RAV4 mention it too?

#8 ·
Having rented cars a few times over the last few years, on vacations, I've learned a few things.

Reserve your car no sooner than a few days before you pick it up. It gets cheaper as you get closer to the pick-up date.

As Doc said, never get the blanket refill from them, it's an absolute rip-off.

And, don't count on refilling right next to the airport or wherever the rental came from. We were in Miami a couple of weeks ago. The gas station right next to the rental return area was charging $3.69/gal. for regular:mad:. The next station was $3.29, and it got cheaper the farther you got from the airport.

We filled near our hotel for $1.89, and then prayed it would stay on full for the 35 miles to the airport. It did. >:D

#9 ·
I agree with the OP. We have a 2013 Highlander and a 2006 RAV4 V6, they have the same engine but the RAV is about 600 lbs lighter and feels much faster-quicker-agile than the highlander. Yes the keyless entry and keyless start are nice on highlander - oh, and the bluetooth, but I much prefer the older RAV4. 144,000 miles and still going strong!

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
#25 ·
With increasingly stringent U.S. CAFE requirements it seems likely that the V6 will disappear completely in smaller and medium-sized cars and SUVs. Toyota may go the route of other makers and use smaller turbo-fed engines. The increased use of electric and hybrid powered vehicles will help makers to meet fleet CAFE requirements, which possibly could reprieve that demise of the V6 for a short time.

Many of us probably can remember when almost any car deemed to be worth its salt performance-wise was V8 - powered.

#26 ·
Many of us probably can remember when almost any car deemed to be worth its salt performance-wise was V8 - powered.
True, but now they can get the same or more power out of a V6 that's still naturally aspirated. They don't need to add a bunch more physical hardware with moving parts (turbo) that can fail or require extra maintenance.

#28 ·
What they need is a turbo that blows into a supercharger. The super is effective from go, and as the turbo winds up it becomes more effective, blowing into the super, taking over and literally driving the blowers impellers through the super's drive belt to the crank.

Then BOOM! No, seriously. Consider it.

#40 ·
I have 2009 V6 RAV 4 with about 147,000 miles. I was looking for a new SUV but can't find one with as much power and cargo space that takes regular unleaded. It has been a very disappointing experience looking for a new SUV. The RAV4 with its current engine offering is just not something I really want. Of course, it is no better or worse than the other similar vehicles in its class.

Right now, knock wood - it's still running strong. I wonder if I'll make it to 2018 when Toyota introduces the turbo engine? I know that Ford offers the Turbo now but the Escape is just so ordinary in my opinion.

For now, I'll keep my RAV 4 V6.

#42 ·
2016 Honda Pilot is amazing!!!! I have been watching a lot of SUV reviews, and as a Toyota ultra fan I must accept this year's Honda superiority ): hehe

Its direct competition would be the Highlander as this is medium SUV and not small as the Rav4, but I recommend you it 100%

EDIT: Formatting

#46 ·
Definitely keeping my 2006 Rav4 V6 Sport. Test drive the Sante Fe last year with the 2.0T. Such a heavy car. Quiet interior and lots of toys but that's about it. Not as rough and fun as the old V6 ( power now ! ). Now actively looking for a used 2012 Rav V6 with low mileage.

#50 ·
I believe the 4.3 and 4.4 RAV4 use the "New MC" platform (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MC_platform) and the Camry uses the "K" platform (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_K_platform).

As such, it seems the RAV4's platform is not unique, but is different from the Camry platform.

As noted in one of the articles: "Compared to other automakers, Toyota’s definition of "platform" differs. That is, it is less about shared common hardware and more about a shared development processes."

So it seems to me like drawing relationships between two models based on the same platform doesn't mean a lot, at least in the Toyota world, to date.

Not sure how the Toyota New Global Architecture may change things going forward, though.

#52 ·
Buyer's Remorse

I traded my 2010 V6 for a 2016 XLE. Four cylinder my fanny. If they did this for fuel savings, it's not working. I would nudge my V6 to respond. I'm pouring all available mixture to the 4 cylinder, monkeying with the shifter, pleading with her, and she eventually responds. Caressing a 6 or pouring it to a 4. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. I'd buy an 8 cylinder if they had one. I feel your pain.

#53 ·
I have a 2012 V6 LE AWD. Just turned 50K miles and no issues other than tires and general maintenance. I'm probably due for a new battery soon. Quality product, I expect to see it turn 200K one day. The past year I have worked on my old lady driving skills and can keep mileage in the 27.8- 27.9 MPG range. But I always know that if my foot gets heavy the power is there. Buy a new car, don't think so.

#55 ·
Next year our V6 Limited will be 10yrs old and about 100kmi. Keep looking for a replacement. The Hybrid Rav4 intrigues me for the city mpg, but wonder how good it will be during our long winters? Supposedly VW will be selling AWD sport wagons with 5 and 6 speed manuals, this would be tempting, mpg would be similar to the V6 city, just wondering about reliability with the 4cyl gas turbo. Or look for a 2012 V6 with lowest miles I can find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.