Sand Driving in the Rav - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sand Driving in the Rav

Haven't been on here for a while but I thought Id post this to answer peoples questions of the off road capability of the Rav (in sand anyway).

Ill start by saying I've had the Rav on the beach quite a few times and been pleasantly surprised with its performance - even in stock trim (the power of the V6 certainly helps!). Where I live the sand is soft and very fine so you can get bogged in a hurry if you don't know what you are doing.

Long story short went to Fraser Island for a long weekend and decided to take the Rav for a proper test. You can Google Fraser Island yourselves to save me explaining the type of place it is but long story short with the minor mods to the Rav (16" Highlander/Kluger wheels and AT tyres with 30mm lift King springs) it was enough to handle everything that was thrown at it. Even the tracks labelled by the local guy as 'difficult - you need low range for that i wouldn't go there' were a breeze and even did a climb out of a washout onto a wooden ladder (about 40cm) with reasonable ease. Didnt get any photos of the more difficult terrain (wasn't going to stop!) but got a quick vid and pic here and there. Passed plenty of stuck 'big, proper' 4wds.

This vid is of the last climb on the main track back to the accommodation we were staying at (you can see how steep it is at the end when the car stops - thats level ground). This is a well run track and has a bit of moisture on it so not so difficult compared to the other tracks:

https://youtu.be/8837psLExn4

Anyway very impressed. Just need a sump guard as I was clenching each time a stick/rock clunked the bottom of the car on the deep inland trails.

2007 V6 CV6
The Following User Says Thank You to PierreVonTrap For This Useful Post:
vanib (07-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looks like a great place to ride the RAV4. Seems to be safe from rocks that may damage the under carriage.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 AM

Nice looks like a fun spot

2008 RAV4 V6 4wd - 94 FJ80 - 95 DSM Fp turbo
@PIPnorcali cali track coverage
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreVonTrap View Post
Anyway very impressed. Just need a sump guard as I was clenching each time a stick/rock clunked the bottom of the car on the deep inland trails.
Yes, and check the expensive EVAP system under the floor. On 2006 & 2007 US LHD RAV4s it's under the driver's seat and virtually completely exposed. We've had it cost members $1,100US when it got ripped off simply by driving thru winter ice/slush.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:47 PM

I just got an e-mail from "the skid plate guy" on face book. He says he has some RAV4 skids for sale under $300.

2012 4wd i4 3rd row
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 PM

In April my men's bible study group from church organized a 3 day weekend getaway to a member's hunting lease cabin in Eastern Oklahoma. We were going to hunt turkey and hogs and just enjoy a time away from electricity and indoor plumbing and take in the great outdoors. We meet in a small town four hours away and I'm driving my 2012 Base Rav 2WD 4cylinder and pulling my Suzuki four wheeler in a small trailer. Every other vehicle was a jeep wrangler or a 4X4 pickup and they had forgot to tell me this cabin was at the top of a mountain and the trail was extremely rough. Well, we head up the trail and I took my RAV through some REALLY narly areas and through some streams that were so deep I think I was floating a couple of times but I kept up with the other vehicles just fine and made it to the top. I was pretty proud of how well my little RAV performed but was it smart to take it on that trail...probably not.
The Following User Says Thank You to farmer17 For This Useful Post:
ravenuer (07-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page