Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Considering purchase 2007 V6 high mileage - 165k

10K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  ravenuer 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

As the title states, I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Rav4 V6 sport, with high mileage at 165k. They are asking g $9400, but are open to offers. It books out correctly in our area (Teton Valley, ID) in the Rocky Mountain area. Wondering if you guys have any J put, or things to look for. She said mechanic has gone over it meticulously, everything is in order and has been well maintained.

I am not scared of high mileage, bought my 98 Tacoma with 175k miles on it and it has been trouble free, but is also equipped with manual tranny, which is next to impossible to find on the rav4 unfortunately. Thanks for any input, I will post craigslist link to vehicle soon.

Liam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Via Craigslist :

Great, Clean Toyota RAV4 for sale. V6 Lots of power but still can get up to 30mpg on they hwy. All wheel drive. Great in the snow! Clean Title. Remote start. JBL audio. Hands free calling. Has always been maintained. Sunroof. Plenty of life left on the tires. 164,840 miles. Recently had all the maintenance done on it. We had out mechanic go through and fix anything that could possibly need repaired. Leaks no oil. Come take a look! Willing to consider all reasonable offers!

#3 ·
Liam, sounds like a great car! .....BUT.....this IS Craigslist don't forget. They all sound like that. If it's a reasonable distance from you, you MUST bring it to your own trusted mechanic for an inspection.
And by the way, manual trans RAVs aren't "next to impossible to find", they're completely impossible to find as they were never sold in the USA. Good luck to you!

#4 ·
She is close and am going to check it out this afternoon, luckily my mechanic is also right down the road, so I will make sure to have him check it out.

Hesitant on automatic, but don't want to have to buy THAT much older of a rav4 to find one. Unfortunate that manual transmission is dieing out, I swear by them.

#5 ·
Keep an ear out for the 'whining transmission' issue with some of the V6. Read up on it. Might not be a deal breaker if the noise level is okay for you, but you could ask a lower price if it has it.

#7 ·
For more education, use the 'search' feature at the top right corner, type in 'whining transmission v6' for links to the TSB and others. Here is the biggest thread--start here and work back 120 pages:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/75633-whining-noise-40-50-mph-solved-updated-8-26-10-tsb-out-120.html

Not all have it. Some have it and don't worry about it. Some have had their tranny replaced. As with any driveline noise, suggest having a mechanic evaluate, and/or use it as a negotiating point for price reduction.

#8 ·
I don't need a 120 page education at this point. Your 4 sentence summary was good enough for now. Thanks.

#9 ·
Ha, fair enough. But you could read back 5 or 10 pages and get the gist of it, lol.

The (sadly discontinued) RAV4 V6 is a pretty hot commodity on its way to cult stardom, and they usually command top dollar. The only exceptions might be the ones with the tranny noise. Seeing something in an ad like " XXXX dollars or best offer" might be an indicator, as usually people won't buy into drivetrain noise issues. And to save time, a prospective buyer could just straight up ask the seller about it.

One other point, if the problem hasn't surfaced by 165k-miles maybe it never would. I hope the OP checks it out and lets us know.

#10 ·
Is the noise typically associated with a fluid leak issue? One of the '07's I was considering had a slight fluid leak, but we decided to forego the purchase effort before ever going to see it (or hear it).

#11 ·
I don't need a 120 page education at this point.

You could have used the 120 page education! Your question proves that. The whine had to do with final gears not being honed properly. It was not associated with any other maladies including fluid leaks. No known negatives other than the noise.

#12 ·
Thanks for that last tidbit, which is the kind of synthesized nugget I can tuck away for future reference.

#17 ·
Best I ever got was 28.4 on a 400 mile trip--average speed 65MPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.