Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

I-Throttle Question

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SixPackABS 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2010 with a V-6. The throttle is very touchy at low speeds. Several people on the forum have solved this with I-Throttle but I don't know if they had 4 or 6 cylinders. I-Throttle says they have a product for 4 cylinders but nothing specifically for the V-6. They say they have never tested for that application.

For those of you with V-6 engines that have used the I-Throttle by Weapon-R what part number did you use? Was yours a generic Toyota? I see Amazon offers a generic Toyota Camry.

Any help would be appreciated as my neck is getting sore from the whiplash.

#2 ·
I take it you recently bought this? ALL of the V-6 equipped RAVS have a twitchy throttle. The rest of us learned how to manage it within a day or two, I suggest you do the same. There are many many threads about this very same topic.

These may help somewhat:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/248442-jerky-jerk.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/73413-v6-touchy-throttle-takeoff-passing.html

Here is a possible fix:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/93834-accell-pedal-question.html

#3 ·
I am the one that started the Herky Jerk thread. Others may be able to adapt to the throttle response but I have been down this road with a previous 2010 Tundra and never did adapt. Therefore I am willing to throw money at the problem and fix it. I just need to know if anyone is successfully using the I-Throttle in a V-6 Rav4. by the "accel pedal question" I have the less sensitive throttle. Damn, I wonder what the sensitive throttle is like.

#4 ·
The accelerator pedal outputs a 0 to 5 volt signal as it it pressed which the engine ECU interprets as the amount of throttle requested. There are several electronic gizmos on the market that connect in series to "re-curve" the signal to give a slower or more aggressive response.

You can do a search of my posts to find a discussion on them. I remember one that claimed to give your car more power whereas all it did was make the same power come on with less pedal to give the feel of more power - the same thing I used to do by reducing the return springs when we had mechanical linkages.

What you want is the opposite effect which these products can also do and they will solve your problem. Just don't spend a lot on one since I could do the same thing with a few resistors.

Here's one discussion I found that emphasizes the "more power" aspect: https://www.carid.com/articles/why-...ntroller.html#Basic_Throttle_Body_Controllers
"For starters, the Weapon-R I-Throttle Controller provides 16 different throttle settings that can be selected at the touch of a button. Nine of them increase throttle opening speed to tailor response to just the desired amount for performance driving and even racing. And when you're just cruising and want to get better fuel mileage, there are seven economy mode settings."
As I explained you get neither more power nor better economy but one of the "economy" mode settings should solve your tip-in issue.

Here's another one I found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-RAV4...ash=item3d120cf606:g:k~4AAOSwKtVWxTXP&vxp=mtr

Anyway you can keep looking but search for one that has the most "economy" settings, one of which should work for you. Please let us know as this subject often comes up.

#6 ·
I am a little lost. You are swapping the 06 throttle for your 2012 RAV for " QUICKER THROTTLE RESPONSE"? Will an 09 give the same effect to a 2010 RAV V6? I have a 2010 V6 limited
He's looking to soften the touchy tip-in.

#7 ·
EUREKA -- I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER. The touchy throttle was driving me nuts (short trip). I love fast cars but don't like them twitchy. I found the 2010 RAV4 with the V-6 simply too touchy for my taste. I contacted Weapons-R re. their I-Throttle. They said it had been tested on the 4-banger but not the V-6. I checked OEM part numbers for the throttle control unit for each and they were the same. So I bought the I-Throttle for the four-cylinder from Amazon (part number 656-112-102 $148.95 total including shipping if you are prime member) and gave it a go. The results are outstanding. It completely eliminated the over-sensitive response without sacrificing anything at full throttle. The I-Throttle was hooked up in ten minutes and ready to test drive in 30 minutes (routing wires, etc.). No hole drilling required. I made a ten minute trip to test various response curves (there are 16 differing throttle responses available).

All things considered it was money well spent (for me).

Thanks to all who responded to my thread.

Ken

#8 ·
I also have the RAV4 2010 V6. I don't have any issue with twitching, infact I wanted the SPRINTbooster effect but not willing to spend $300 for it. The I-throttle price seems to be an acceptable price for me. Care to share how to install it,,,, pictures/video. Do we have a throttle lag on our 2010 V6? Using Sprintbooster like devices will it be too much for a V6?

#9 ·
How to install:
1. View utube on installing
2. Remove two 10mm bolts holding throttle controller (what you step on to go) to firewall
3. Separate the electric cable connection at top of throttle controller with small screwdrive for prying apart the connector mechanism on side of the two pieces of the connector. (easy)
4. Insert a part of the I-throttle into each of the above connector pieces.....easy as they simply snap into place
5. Reinstall throttle controller to firewall with the two bolts you removed
6. Plug a different cable into the cars OBD2 which is on the left side of the panel below the steering wheel....easy
7. Plug unused ends of these two cables into the supplied controller. They have different shapes and sizes so you can't plug the wrong one in.....easy
8. You are done...well almost
9. You need to hide and nylon tie the wires out of the way (nylon ties are not supplied)
10. Instructions will guide you through the steps to set-up the sensitivity you want. This is also easy.

There are nine setting for faster response and seven for slower. It is all based on your current (stock) as the base. So nine snappier and seven slower. All responses will still give you the same power/acceleration at full throttle and the same idle speed with your foot off the throttle.

If you have any question Chris W. at Weapon-R is very helpful.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.