Potential New Owner - Some Questions - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Potential New Owner - Some Questions

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a crossover SUV and I have limited my choices between a Rav4 V6 4WD (2010-2012) and a Subaru Forester 2.5X (2012-2013, 2014+). I've been doing my research and although the Subaru Forester has the full-time AWD system, the cars have issues with oil consumption (FB25 engine), loud wind noise, slow heating issues (2014+), etc... It seems that the RAV4 V6 is a bit more reliable.

My wife and I will be sharing this car, and she will eventually have full use of the car in 2 years or so whenever we decide to get a second car. She doesn't really drive as my current car is a manual car and she cannot drive manual, so we are looking to get the RAV4 as her first car and I have a few questions for current owners

1. My wife is fairly petite - she is 5'3. Is the RAV4 comfortable and easy to drive for shorter drivers? How is the visibility?
2. How is the safety of the SUV? If anyone unfortunately had an accident in the RAV4 (hope everyone is safe and healthy), how did you find the safety of the SUV?
3. Any issues to be aware of when looking at the RAV? I read that I should listen for the transmission whine, anything else?
4. How does the RAV4 handle in rain/winter conditions, especially on the highway? Does the backend try to fishtail on corners or if the tires hit slush? Does it feel stable and controllable?

5. In my area (Ontario, Canada) the sports version is a bit more expensive than the limited. From what I read on the forum, the difference is only the struts/shocks and I can change the limited shocks/struts to the sport version. Can anyone confirm if this is all that is required? I would prefer a stiffer suspension.
5b. I read that I can lower the car with H&R springs, but what struts/shocks should I use if I decide to lower the car to avoid the bumpiness caused by lowering the car? I've read that I should use eibach sport shocks/struts, but I cannot find anything like this for the RAV4. I plan on getting the UR sway bars and strut brace as well.
6. I plan on doing the JDM HID conversion following the guide posted by a member (veliksam). Are there any other alternatives or is this still the recommend way?

Thanks for looking and helping answer some of my questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well, we came from a Forester, albeit a 2001 model, but when I test drove the V6 RAV4 I HAD to have one. It's just so exhilarating to drive a nondescript everyday car that's quicker and faster than the '68 Barracuda 340S I had years ago - and get almost 3X the fuel mileage.

By comparison the Forester was just another run-of-the-mill car. Sure it had full time AWD but that meant either buying four new tires when one got ruined so as not to damage the expensive viscous coupling, or as I did, try to find used ones to match the others. Then after I sold it to a friend I ended up replacing the head gaskets, a real fun (and free) job at only 100,000 miles. At least that tipped me off to the standard Subaru head gasket weakness so when I helped my niece find her 2007 Outback we got $1,300 off because they were starting to leak, again at 100K.

I haven't measured her lately but my wife, the primary driver, probably isn't more than an inch taller than yours and she has no seating issues. When I drive, or more accurately before I get in, I have to move the seat back and tilt it back.
She likes the power saying, "It goes so easy!" Same thing she said back with the Barracuda. Actually that may be an issue as some members think the gas pedal is too touchy. I had her test drive a used V6 from the dealer before I did my full East Coast search for ours. For me it's perfect except when the wifey's riding shotgun. Then I have to be very careful.

I'm not into carving corners with the RAV4 like I'm in the dirt with my DRZ-400 or might do a little more when I'm alone in my Accord or 1800s, but the RAV4 seem rock steady in any weather on any road. It can be pushed to slide sideways in snow but unless you think you're a rally driver it behaves itself.

I'd suggest getting a Base or Limited for the best ride. Then you can "upgrade" it with springs and shocks - and take them off when it becomes hers and she tells you to.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The rear end definitely does not like to slide out. Traction control is quite aggressive. There is a lake just one block from my house where we used to take cars to slip and slide away. Can't do that anymore now that I have the RAV4. Of course, good Winter tires are always helpful.

2011 Limited, V6, factory tow package, Blizzard Pearl

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Dr. Dyno and pico,

Thanks a lot for the answers. While browsing the forums, I was entertaining the idea of looking at the I4 but the 4-speed transmission is not as modern (not that the 5-speed in the V6 is) and I think the extra gear will be better on long highway drives. I plan on keeping the RAV4 until it falls apart, so better to get the V6 for future proofing.

Initially I was worried that the RAV4 might not be as capable in sticky weather situations due to it being on-demand AWD especially for the wife who hasn't driven in the winter yet, but honestly, with good winter tires, it shouldn't matter.

Dr. Dyno, how does your wife find the visibility out of the vehicle?

I am interested in hearing from members with the H&R springs to see what shocks/struts they recommend and what they think of the drive compared to a sports?

Thanks for all the information
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The primary driver of my RAV is 5-ft even and she loves the visibility. Especially ride height compared to a sedan. We did add an aftermarket back-up camera just because a lot of kids in the neighborhood and has a small blind spot as with most vehicles. We came from a long line of Camry and would never go back, and the visibility has a lot to do with it. I believe several studies show the SUV class is also safer than sedans. The 09-12 RAVs were a top IIHS safety pick when they were built, but were not subjected to one of the new tests (small front overlap collisions) so no way to tell for sure how they would score.

The V6 is superior in most ways except fuel mileage if you are primarily driving around town. I have the 4-speed I4 and consider it quite capable, even on long trips. But the V6 would really shine there. At the time of our purchase, we got a screaming good deal on a nearly new 2009 I4 ($10,000 less than the V6), but now at used rates the price differential is not as great. So it would be a good time to look!

The AWD winter traction is simply awesome with good snow tires. We are avid skiers and smile during snow driving. For overall value, I think you are barking up the right tree looking for a gen 4.3 V6-- and good you are aware about the possible tranny whine as a factor to check and consider. If you are a driving enthusiast, the V6 would be a great choice and has a kind of cult following here, a very knowledgable and helpful support group.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkids View Post
Dr. Dyno, how does your wife find the visibility out of the vehicle?
Just came back from a trip to town and noticed altho she sets the seat too far forward for me I don't change her height setting. And it isn't at it's highest so she must be okay with the visibility.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:03 PM

I had a 2007 Sport V6, traded it in for a 2012 Sport V6. Only issue with it was the cams were needing replacement as I got the dreaded slap on cold starts. It was about. 162,000 KM when I traded it in. Still miss that vehicle. Replaced a leaky oil line (not an issue in the 2012) and a alternator (it had a squeaky bearing but could not just get the bearing part so I replaced the whole thing with a reman).

2012, no issues. The V6 still pulls strong. I did test drive the I4 when I bought my 2007 but it was not enough for me. I felt it was weak. I do a lot of road trips as well as out door activities like skiing and mountain biking. Having that extra power to haul my gear and my friends around is definitely good to have. Only downside, as mentioned here is the gas consumption in the city. I average 16l/100km

I have driven both extensively in the snow and ice. Both have performed well without issues. I have Blizzaks on there and it has traction all day long. Deep snow, slush, ice, etc, it does it all. We had a good dump of snow here in BC and I had zero issues getting around. You can get it sideways if you really want to but traction control does take over and kill the fun a bit.

Visibility is good. I can't comment for the height part but I am 5ft 7.5" and I can see clearly in all aspects.

I definitely would recommend the vehicle. The sport is a harsher ride. Shocks are stiff but I don't mind. The vehicle is easy to work on and so far, I've been doing a lot of the fixes at home (brakes, oil line, oil changes, etc). It is definitely a very low cost maintenance vehicle for me.

2012 V6 Silver Rav4 Sport (52,000 km)
2007 V6 Flint Mica Rav4 Sport (162,98X km) - Traded
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Suggest that you check out the dealer situation. We had a Subaru Forester from new and had lots of trouble with it. The dealer with the best service department was stopped from selling Subarus and so stopped servicing them. The other two area dealers had incompetent service departments, and when something was defective the part had to be ordered from Japan. Was my wife's car and she became so disgusted that when it developed a clutch problem she immediately traded it in for a new Honda CR-V. No problems with the Honda or Honda service.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Since she will be sharing the car the stiff suspension that you like may be total hatred for her. The '06-'12 models are a bit loud with road/tire noise and the Sport suspension is brutal to me. None of them have a Cadillac ride but I found the Sport unacceptable under any conditions so chose wisely.

My gal is 5'2" and she has no problem driving or seeing out of her '08 Base V-6. I'm a fat ass at 6' and 275 but my '08 Limited also has comfortable front seats and no vision issues. I find the back seat tolerable but not very comfortable for me.

Your choice of a '10+ model is wise as they have a few extras and less issues than the '06-'08 models. Ours are both front wheel drive.

The V-6 is divine and extremely responsive to the pedal on the right. It puts out considerably more forward motion than one would expect.....at any speed. It can also get respectable highway mileage, I got 28.9 on one full highway trip with the air on, 25-26 MPG is common. City MPG depends on the city size, traffic, and length of drive time. I generally get 19-20 she gets 16-17.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)

Last edited by RTexasF; 02-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
Suggest that you check out the dealer situation. We had a Subaru Forester from new and had lots of trouble with it. The dealer with the best service department was stopped from selling Subarus and so stopped servicing them. The other two area dealers had incompetent service departments, and when something was defective the part had to be ordered from Japan. Was my wife's car and she became so disgusted that when it developed a clutch problem she immediately traded it in for a new Honda CR-V. No problems with the Honda or Honda service.
How bout that....your Subaru Forester experience pretty much mirrors my wife's. But some people love em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page