State Registration Fee's - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jadenison
(Thread Starter)
State Registration Fee's

Based on the Sales Tax post, I was interested to see what different states charge for the registration fee on the RAV4's. I paid $57.75 for 1 year & 3 months on my V6 4WD Sport, but I think that is high because I transferred the registration from a prior vehicle. I think it will work out to around $20 per year.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 PM

For Massachusetts:
Transfer registration fee $15.00.
Certificate of Title: $50
Vehicle Inspection: $29.00

I just renewed my plates in February, ($36.00 for two years), so I didn't have to pay any addtional registration fees.

Of course the payout of money isn't done yet. I haven't received my my vehicle excise tax ($25 per thousand dollars of vehicle valuation). This money goes to the local town in return for the "privilege" of driving on Massachusetts roads.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

For the Rav4 in NH it's somewhere over $300 (including both state and local fees) each year for the first few years, but it drops as the vehicle gets older. They calculate the annual fee based on the age and the original sale price, and the multiplier decreases as the car gets older. When I was in NY it was about $40 for a 2-year registration for the Rav4. In both states the fees are determined by the type and/or weight of the vehicle. The inspection fees for both states are somewhere around $20-25 I think.

2010 Green Tacoma DC V6 4WD 6-SPD TRD Off-Road
Former 2001 Black Rav4 4WD w/ 5-speed manual, 172+ miles
#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:04 PM
RAVERIN

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
I paid $241.75 on Friday when I bought the RAV. That's for one year.... And California needs more money for it's roads.... Sheesh!

#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
woody

Does any other N Jersey purchaser recall a $335 'assorted government fees' charge in their total purchase price? I had purchased a vehicle in Oct '04 and there was no such charge. When challenged, the salesman brought an itemized breakdown of half dozen assorted fees (mostly I guess the four year inspection sticker), then the wrap-up take the money guy said 'yes, that's a new state fee that is creating problems for some people.' Part of my problem was that this charge was the source of a couple hundred dollar discrepancy between a verbal price over the phone and the show up and pay price.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 AM

Well, our newest purchase is a Civic instead of a Rav, but I'm sure Wisconsin is an equal opportunity gouger.

Our Title and License fee a couple weeks ago was $123.50, which included a new set of plates (as opposed to transferred plates). I'm not sure what the renewal fee is for standard plates here because my Rav and the hubby's 4Runner both have personalized plates. Our personalized plate renewal is $70.00 annually. I *think* the standard plates might be $15.00 less.

Becky

PS: Woo hoo this is my 300th post in this incarnation of R4W!
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 AM
ravgal2006

Wow, I wish I had some of your registration fees! Registration in Nevada is ridiculous! I don't have my RAV yet, but I got a quote from our DMV website using a VIN# of a comparable vehicle to the one I'm gonna get.

Here's how the Registration fees break down:

Basic Registration fee: $33
Governmental Services tax: $362
Supplemental Government Services tax: $91
-------------------
TOTAL REGISTRATION: $486 for ONE YEAR!!!!!

Plus, a brand new vehicle is only exempt from a smog check the first year. Can you believe that? A smog check is required every year after the first year to renew registration. Like I said, it's pretty ridiculous!

ravgal

#8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to monetnj
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
Does any other N Jersey purchaser recall a $335 'assorted government fees' charge in their total purchase price? I had purchased a vehicle in Oct '04 and there was no such charge. When challenged, the salesman brought an itemized breakdown of half dozen assorted fees (mostly I guess the four year inspection sticker), then the wrap-up take the money guy said 'yes, that's a new state fee that is creating problems for some people.' Part of my problem was that this charge was the source of a couple hundred dollar discrepancy between a verbal price over the phone and the show up and pay price.
I bought my car in NY, but I did have to register it here in NJ. I can't speak to your half dozen specific fees, but NJ does now require 4 years up-front registration costs. For the 4-cyl that worked out to $242 and $342 for the 6-cyl because it is (barely) over 3500 lbs. There is also a $40 title charge for cars with a lien and a tire tax. I had to pay similar fees in '05 when I bought my Sienna. It may be true that these fees were not in effect in '04.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
woody

monetnj-

Appreciate the feedback, feel a little better now. Your figures for the V6 are right in line with what I was charged. I purchased mine in Philly btw, since side and curtain bags were not an option on the base model in NJ (regional differences). Couldn't get them if you wanted them. How crazy is that? Philly dealer still tabulated and collected all NJ state fees and I returned to them to pick up tags, title and registration couple weeks later. No muss, no fuss-other than the 3 1/2 hr RT-a pleasure in this vehicle.

#10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:20 PM

In Ontario it's $74/year for validation (sticker on your license plate) if you live in the south, $37/year if you live in the north.

The only other recurring fee is an emissions test, every two years for vehicles 5+ years old -- $35.

Sounds like we get off easy compared to some other places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page