Nissan Murano to Rav4, thoughts? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
rzrav4

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Nissan Murano to Rav4, thoughts?

Hello,
I am currently a Nissan Murano owner looking to switch to a RAV4. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into differences/similarities. I love the Murano but want better mileage. Probably going to downsize to the V4.

Thanks, in advance,
RZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We look at the Murano when we were shopping for a new car 6 months ago. We did some research and found that the Murano had alot of problems with its CVT and transfer case. Alot of owners had their transmission and transfer case replace somewhere between 20000 to 60000 miles. Beside Murano's problem CVT and transfer case, there were also a host of little problems that were reported by owners in the Murano forums.
Armed with these information, we went to test drive the Murano. I must say that the Nissan dealer we went to was one of the worst experience I ever had, maybe it was just that dealer, I dont know. Anyhow, we test drove the car. I could not get pass that ugly dash board, looks like something out of the Jetsons and that big blind spot in the back. That smiling grill had to go also. Other than that, the car drove really well, accelarated and handled better than the RAV4, I4. Although I dont know if I can get use to that CVT reving so high all the time. The Murano had more room inside, but not much more, but the exterior of the Murano was much bigger or wider I should say. The RAV drives like a small SUV while the Murano drove like a midsize. Fit and material were better in the RAV and overall quality has to to Toyota.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:07 PM

We also looked at the Murano before we settled on the RAV. I'm with you G Man, I did not care for the huge dashboard. Seemed to take up half the interior space. The one we looked at did have a built in rear camera which was pretty cool. That helped with the blind spot. It did handle nice and overall I liked the outside appearance. The main thing that turned us off was the fact that we were told it needed premium gas for optimum performance. We went straight over to the Toyota dealer and drove the RAV4 with the 6. It was quicker and got better mpg with regular gas.
You may miss the power of the Murano by switching to the 4 cyl but otherwise I think you will be happy with it.

2006 RAV4 Limited
V-6 2WD
Pacific Blue
#4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:47 PM
spwolfx

Re: Nissan Murano to Rav4, thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrav4
Hello,
I am currently a Nissan Murano owner looking to switch to a RAV4. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into differences/similarities. I love the Murano but want better mileage. Probably going to downsize to the V4.

Thanks, in advance,
RZ
take an test drive in both 4cly and V6 and see what suits your needs better...

out of curiousity, what MPG are you getting with Murano?

#5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 05:55 PM

To O.P.: The Murano was my top choice to replace my 92 Max. SE (135k miles) daily driver. Yes, I had thorughly test driven both a Murano SE and SL 2WD (my choice) before buying my RAV.

Some observations:

The Murano is ~ 300lbs heavier powered by a 245hp VQ V6.

The Murano felt less agile than the RAV.

The CVT just doesn't provide crisp accelerations compared to the RAV's 5AT. RAV can be downshifted from 5->4 for quick highway passing.

The Murano Sport has a more stiffer ride than RAV Sport.

The sweet VQ V6 is thirsty and premium is recommended. RAV V6 runs great on regular.

According to FreshAlloy forum members, the Murano has its share of quality issues: the most disturbing one being the CVT failures.

The Murano has larger passenger and cargo volume but no available 3rd row seating (well, RAV's 3rd row suitable for kids only).

The Murano has HID option, nicer OEM antenna, and a better sculpted exterior.

After much comparison, a Murano equipped to my specifications cost about $30k. The RAV won hands down. This coming from a Nissan fanatic with a 72 240Z, 92 Max SE, and 03 G35.

Do your own research/test drives then decide.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

my parents own a murano........its the reason i purchased my rav4......i realy liked the design and roominess, though i couldnt afford it..........the rav4 comes very close to size and it has a little brother look to it......though it compares more w/ the highlander than the rav4....... .i realy dont like the feel of the steering or the position that you sit, it seems that steering wheel is very close to the gauge cluster and it seems as though you need to bench 300 lbs in order to turn it..............this is actualy funny, due to the fact that all day i have been helping my mom out w/ her 2004 murano, it wont start even though it has power..........it just makes this clicking sound and will not turn over.......so we had to have it towed to nissan......... ........it is a pretty suv though.....i love the design.........it has 42,000 miles and this is the only problem shes had w/ it.......
#7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
jorvik

I'd stay from anything with a CVT transmission.

I speak from experience of owning a 2003 Saturn VUE with the CVT. G.M. claimed their CVT was 10 years in testing and development but the problem was that as soon as this transmission got into the real world it started failing in droves. It was so bad that Saturn gave all CVT owners a five year 75,000 mile free extended warranty on the transmission. Driving was a gamble because Saturn's CVT could fail at 2,000 miles or go to 50,000 miles or more without a problem. You took your chance.

I'm not surprised the Murano had CVT problems. The CVT works on a belt and pully system (this is a simplified explanation) and is prone to failure. Sooner or later someone will perhaps perfect the CVT but until they do I don't want to be a beta tester.

No thanks, I'm happy to have a 2006 RAV4 with a real transmission.

#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:36 PM

The Toyota Prius has one of the few CVT that is somewhat relieable.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Funzo

Re: Nissan Murano to Rav4, thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrav4
I love the Murano but want better mileage. Probably going to downsize to the V4.
What you'll lose in trading in/selling your Murano will likely never be made up in gas mileage savings.

Once you actually sit down and calculate the difference in mileage between the two vehicles, you'll probably find you'll save around a hundred bucks for the whole year. That's a small price to pay for nice VQ engine torque vs. a 4cyl.

#10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 PM
spwolfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G Man
The Toyota Prius has one of the few CVT that is somewhat relieable.
prius doesnt have true CVT but planetary gearset that acts like one (it is its powerspliting device), and is indeed very reliable...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page