Dealership wants to buy my Rav back... - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayvis
sell your present car yourself. You can sell it for much less than it would cost on a dealer's lot, thus making it attractive to buyers. You will come out thousands ahead of trading it in. I know this from experience.
When we buy a new car in Canada, we pay taxes on the difference between the new car price and the trade in value.

For example I just bought a new RAV4 for approximately $40,000. If my trade in was worth $20,000, the taxes would be $2,800 at 14%. Without a trade in the taxes would be $5,600 , or $2,800 more.

So if I wanted to sell my used car privately for $22,000, which is $2,000 more than than the trade in, I would actually be losing $800. In addition I would have to keep insurance on the old vehicle until it was sold, and put up with the hassle of people calling to go for test drives. I would also have to do a lot more paperwork with a private sale.

Just my 2 cents. Your tax system may be different in your location.

Rick
Here in Missouri you get the tax back even if you sell to a private party (as long as both operations are done within 3 months of one another). I know, I got my $55 back from the MO-DOR after I sold my old '88 corolla 2 months after I bought the 2007 RAV4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM

I got something from a dealership about paying over blue book price on used vehciles and selling below invoice on new vehicles. Also for stopping down you had a chance to win stuff.

Well worked with the dealership for a bit, drove the vehicle I was interested in, had to get going due to time constraints but he said he'd call with the figures. Before leaving checked on my great prize which was 5-10 lottery scratch off tickets. Got back and scratched them off and won 2 whole dollars.

Got a call from the dealership and he said I'd be able to get the vehicle for 5 years with monthly payments of xxx.xx amount, which seemed high but I figured they didn't include my trade. I called back, said but what happens when my trade is added in. He calls back and says that is with the trade. What a joke. Does he think I'm that stupid to fall for the magic monthly payment amount or couldn't do simple math to figure out their deal sucked?

In the end I made 2 dollars for 40 minutes of my time, but will add the girl handing out the prizes was very pretty and nice.

That's my story on these type of "deals"
#13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 01:09 PM

When we buy a new car in Canada, we pay taxes on the difference between the new car price and the trade in value.

For example I just bought a new RAV4 for approximately $40,000. If my trade in was worth $20,000, the taxes would be $2,800 at 14%. Without a trade in the taxes would be $5,600 , or $2,800 more.

So if I wanted to sell my used car privately for $22,000, which is $2,000 more than than the trade in, I would actually be losing $800. In addition I would have to keep insurance on the old vehicle until it was sold, and put up with the hassle of people calling to go for test drives. I would also have to do a lot more paperwork with a private sale

Rick[/quote]

Yeah, here in Florida you get a tax break if you trade in your car at the $tealers. Lets say you're buying a $30,000 car and there giving you $10,000 for your trade in. You only pay tax on $20,000 for the new car. That would save you $600. BUT, what they don't tell you is they are giving you $3000 less than what YOU could sell your car for. I did this exact same thing. Sold my Honda CR-V for $2500 more than they were going to give me. I came out $2000 ahead. There's a big difference between selling a $2500 Chevy and a $15,000 Honda. There aren't many dirt bags looking at $15,000 cars. I've sold many cars myself rather than get boned on a trade in. It's never been a problem. Sure some people are jerks, but so what. I can out "jerk" anyone. If I were a single woman I might not want strangers coming over, but as a man I have no problem with it.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM

If you really believed the dealer wanted to buy your RAV back at a good price, I thought I would pass on this email I just received for your consideration:

Quote:
Greetings to you,
テつ*
Before I introduce myself, I wish to inform you that this letter is not a hoax mail and I urge you to treat it serious. This letter must come to you as a big surprise, but I believe it is only a day that people meet and become great friends and business partners.
テつ*
My name is Mr. Prince Smith Peter the present branch Manager of a bank here in Nigeria. I write you this proposal in good faith, believing that I can trust you with the information I am about to reveal to you. Like I said, I have a transaction that will benefit both of us, as your assistance is required as a foreigner.
テつ*
I use to head the Accounts department Union Bank head office, but last December. I was asked to take position of a Manager of our branch in (Edo-State) Nigeria who passed on, so that was how I became the present Manager and discovered a fortune.As I resumed duty, I discovered an account with total sum of $10.2million dollars million that has not been operated on for the past 7 years. From my investigation,I found out that this account belongs to one Late Mr. Morris Thompson an American great industrialist and a resident of Alaska, who unfortunately lost his life in the plane crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261 which crashed on January 31 2000, including his wife and only daughter. You shall read more news about the crash on visiting this site which I got during my investigation;
テつ*
http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/02/01/alaska.airlines.list/
The account is escrow call account, a secret type of account in my bank and no other person knows about this account or any thing concerning it,the account has no other beneficiary. I have kept a close monitoring of the account since then and nobody has come forward to ask about the money as next of kin to the late Mr. Morris Thompson, meaning that no one is aware of the account.
テつ*
I cannot directly take out this money without the help of a foreigner and that is why I am contacting you for an assistance to claim the funds and share it with me. As the Manager of my bank branch,I have the power to influence the release of the funds to any foreigner that comes up as the next of kin to the account, with the correct information concerning the account, which I shall give you.
テつ*
I am seeking your co-operation to present you as the next of kin to the account, so that my bank head quarters will release the funds to you. There is practically no risk involved, the transaction will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of law.
テつ*
I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that we shall come out successful.I have contacted an attorney that will prepare the necessary document that will back you up as the next of kin to late Mr. Morris Thompson.
テつ*
If you accept to work with me, I want you to state how you wish us to share the funds in percentage, so that both parties will be satisfied. Contact me as soon as you receive this message if you feel we can work together, so we can go over the details. and send the information’s below
テつ*
Full Names:Age:Occupation:Nationality:Mobile Telephone:Sex:
Contact me via this email address Email: petsmith222@yahoo.co.uk
Thanking you in advance and may God bless you. Please, treat with utmost confidentiality. I wait your urgent response.
テつ*
Regards,Prince Smith Peter

2006 RAV4 Limited
V-6 2WD
Pacific Blue
#15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Try leasing a car in Illinois. First, you have to pay sales tax on 100% of the value of the car you are leasing. If, at the end of the lease, you take the purchase option, you have to pay sales tax on that purchase price also.
#16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 AM

It's like clock work.
Got a message on my answering machine a few nights ago from my dealer salesman.
Says he'd like to talk to me. Haven't called him back yet.
Bought my Rav a year and a half ago, heard from him two or three times since, but last time was about 8 months ago. Hmmmmm, wonder what he wants to talk about??
#17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Dear Person Sir,
Much pleased for me to purchase your car used at a marvelous special price, because for an unknown reason my need for used car in Nigeria is supreme. Pay you for more than it should much be. Included is bridge for can be used over river water. Send money now to you quickly when it is you provide me your credit card number. Mulchly thanking you over. St. King Car Dealer Spam Mail Department Sincerely.
#18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 AM

If it's a good deal, then take it. What do you care if some sucker overpays for the RAV after you? That being said, read the fine print and research the blue book value. NOTHING is free and if the deal is too go to be true, it's the kiss you sometimes get before you get bent over.

Complaining is good for you as long as you're not complaining to the person you're complaining about.
#19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM

I've given this some thought and decided that the changes they're making to the Rav between redesigns aren't enough to make me trade. I put less than 10k miles on it a year, so my Rav should have about 50k on it when the next redesign hits, which should be the 2011 model year (fall of 2010). Hopefully it will have all the goodies we've been discussing, and then I'll trade.
#20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

They only way they are getting it is if they pay me more than I paid for it.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page