RAV is drinking oil! - Page 13 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#121 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
This was posted on the VW forums but some guy blew his 2007 Rav4 engine because most likely he wasn't aware of the oil consumption problem so he didn't check his oil often enough.

VWVortex.com - Need advice: Rav4 with a blown engine
Super dumb discussion. Of course the guy was total idiot not to check oil periodically, ignored oil change light for 1000 miles and waved his warranty good bye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 AM

It's been a while since I've been in here and I'm not surprised the oil thread is still going. Mine is still burning at 73k but what I wanted to ask is what MPG are those with consumption issues getting? I'm at 17mpg mixed driving. I treated this car so well - continuously get compliments about how new it still looks but if only they knew
#123 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM

(Thread Starter)
Wow... I just logged in here for the first time in ages and I was surprised to see my thread from 5 years ago still going!

Well, it's nice Toyota issued a TSB on this finally. But they screwed me on this issue. While my RAV was still under warranty, I did 3 separate oil consumption tests with my dealer. Each time, Toyota Canada replied that the oil consumption was within acceptable limits.

Toyota's definition of acceptable is 1 Liter per 1000 Kilometers or 1 Quart per 600 Miles! It's right in the owners manual. That is totally ridiculous.

Anyway, my warranty ended and months later, they issue the TSB. I asked about getting mine fixed and was told "sorry, it's not covered since you're out of warranty".

This was the final straw for me along with all the other issues I had with my RAV. I got rid of the vehicle shortly afterwards and they've lost me as a customer.

Last edited by seadragon; 02-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.
#124 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM

I cleaned my engine with BG109.

I drained the old oil, put in new oil, new filter, and then BG109. It turned the new oil black after running it per the instructions so there was a lot of gunk. It doesn't even have 50k miles. BG109 is really strong stuff. My oil change container had a lot of crap stuck on the bottom from years of use and the BG109 really cleaned it up so hope it unclogged the piston oil return holes. It seemed to have quieted down a cold engine rattle I had.

I also put in new oil with AutoRX. I will check in at 1000 miles to see how my oil consumption problem is doing.
#125 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
Wow... I just logged in here for the first time in ages and I was surprised to see my thread from 5 years ago still going!
....Anyway, my warranty ended and months later, they issue the TSB. I asked about getting mine fixed and was told "sorry, it's not covered since you're out of warranty"...
What can I say, ... that's f*cked! I can understand that you got rid of the RAV.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#126 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

This is the biggest thing I have with Toyota: "yes we screwed up, we issued TSB to prove it, but f*ck you if your warranty expired."

My corolla had a number of issues since it was a new design, by the time toyota figured out all the bugs and issued TSBs, my warranty was over. Fortunately, I was able to fix things myself cheap since I know how to turn a wrench.
#127 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM

hi all,
took my rav4 into the dealer today for the window recall,when i picked up the rav i was told ''we noticed your oil light came on,so we checked your oil leval and it was dangerously low....we have topped it up and we want you to come back in 600miles time to see if you have a higher than average oil burn''...'' if there is a problem TOYOTA can help!
#128 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I was extra p*ssed off because I had even purchased the extended warranty too which cost a couple grand at purchase and later found that many things were not covered by it either. ECP never again.

I realize I was out of warranty coverage but I think the right thing to do would have been to step up and cover it since I had proven I had the issue 3 times while it was still under warranty. This after being a long time customer at the same dealership having purchased 4 vehicles from them.

Oh well... the vehicle is history.

Last edited by seadragon; 02-24-2013 at 05:12 AM.
#129 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,150 Times in 829 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewwer View Post
hi all,
took my rav4 into the dealer today for the window recall,when i picked up the rav i was told ''we noticed your oil light came on,so we checked your oil leval and it was dangerously low....we have topped it up and we want you to come back in 600miles time to see if you have a higher than average oil burn''...'' if there is a problem TOYOTA can help!
Yes, did you know that Toyota has a recall in place as well as an extended warranty on the 2AD diesel engines for this very problem? They will replace the engine free of charge if it has excessive oil consumption:

Oil Consumption Egr Clogged Extended Warranty1[1]

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
skewwer (02-21-2013)
#130 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM

OOOoooooo do you think i might get a new engine for free...my D4D as only done 40,000miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page