RAV is drinking oil! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV is drinking oil!

My RAV4 seems to be using up oil and there are no signs of where its going.

I noticed it was on the bottom dot on the dipstick a couple of weeks ago. I added more oil (almost 1 Litre) till it was just under the full mark.

Now its back down to below the half way mark (in 2 weeks). This has been going on for a while.

So I look in the owners manual and it states that its normal for 1 Litre of oil consumption per 1000 Kilometers. Thats ridiculous! That would mean that it would be normal to add 8 Litres of oil between oil changes (at 8000K intervals).

Anyone else having this problem? There's no sign of leakage anywhere. I've never had a vehicle that has done this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

V6 or I4?

To The BlackMobile!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 05:23 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBlack
V6 or I4?
Oh, sorry.. its the I4.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Sounds like something is wrong if you went from little consumption to extreme consumption.

I am sure you are doing this but....

Checking the oil at operating temperature?
Making sure the car is level when checking?
Waiting about 5 minutes or so after turning off your engine so the oil drains back in the pan?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

I lost 1.5 liters between my first and second oil change (5000km) and so far I still seem to be ok after 2000km (3000km until I do my 3rd oil change)

keep a tab of how much you put in, and how much comes out, if it keep on going like this, after a couple of oil changes, you should ask for an oil consumption test at the dealership...
#6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Oil Consumption

I think a quart (or liter for our friends outside of the United States) drop every 1K miles is excessive for any of the engines installed in a Rav4.

Our '07 V-6 AWD is about to turn 10K miles. At about 2K miles I did the first oil change [Synthetic 5W30] followed by the scheduled 5K mile oil change [also synthetic]. The oil level was OK at each step. With about 5K since the last change the oil level is perfectly fine. The 10K mile oil change will also be synthetic.

Our Rav4 is driven a mix of city, suburban, and highway driving. At least once a week the vehicle is used for a 40-70 mile drive @ 55-75mph. It is not used for towing or carrying heavy loads.

Checking oil is done after the vehicle has been at rest at least 30 minutes. And, it should be done on as level a surface as practical.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 07:29 PM

The first place to check is the drain plug...I know you said you can't see were its going... but if it started all of a sudden...did you just have an oil change? Is the oil filter dbl gasketed? I have seen oil leaks only when hot and under pressure...when stopped nothing evident 'cept a thin coating from leak area...sometimes hard to see and harder to find, Tim
#8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdr
The first place to check is the drain plug...I know you said you can't see were its going... but if it started all of a sudden...did you just have an oil change? Is the oil filter dbl gasketed? I have seen oil leaks only when hot and under pressure...when stopped nothing evident 'cept a thin coating from leak area...sometimes hard to see and harder to find, Tim
I second this, check for oil residue, if you can put a sheet of cardboard under it when it's stopped to see if you get oil on the ground. A co-worker of mine got an oil change and afterwards noticed a lot of oil underneath his vehicle and on his back end. The issue turned out to be a filter had a notch/cut in the gasket.

Even if you can't locate it get a service call placed and take it in!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 PM

Oil Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdr
I second this, check for oil residue, if you can put a sheet of cardboard under it when it's stopped to see if you get oil on the ground. A co-worker of mine got an oil change and afterwards noticed a lot of oil underneath his vehicle and on his back end. The issue turned out to be a filter had a notch/cut in the gasket.

Even if you can't locate it get a service call placed and take it in!
+3
#10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your replies guys, greatly appreciated!

I guess I'll put the RAV up on the ramps this weekend and have a look underneath to see if I can see anything unusual. I park it in the garage each night and there's no oil on the floor at all.

I always check the oil when its parked in the garage, engine is warm after driving home from work (30 minute drive) and I wait about 15 minutes before checking the level. I haven't noticed any smoke or anything else unusual.

For comparison, my 5.7L Tundra doesn't go through any oil. It shows the same level on the dipstick each time I check it. Same with other Toyota's I've had in the past (and I've had quite a few). I'll monitor it more closely now and mention it to the dealer at next scheduled service visit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page