Tow Prep package - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In addition to the double fan coupling, there are a number of fuses that are different if you have the tow package. In the Owner's manual (near the end) is a list of fuses in the two main fuse boxes in the engine compartment. With tow package, the alternator fuse is 140A, plus there are two fuses (fans?) that are 50A. I was wondering the same thing when I got my Rav4, and this was a good double-check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 AM

I bought a used Rav from a dealer who told me my sport was equipped with the tow package. After seeing the diagram above, I went and checked and SURPRISE !
no towing package. Now as far as having one installed after the fact, forget it! Their isn't a dealer out there who will do it, and if you did find one, the cost would be outrageous. I am still going round and round with my dealer over this. So far my offers are they will put a tranny cooler on and a couple of free oil changes. Now my Rav has 2000lb towing vs 3500, almost half, and just a little more than a 4 banger. So do your homework, check it out carefully.
#13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

don't worry about whether it "has" the tow package or not. what difference does it make? just tow stuff and if it breaks, you can always fix it. IMHO.

If we had eggs, we could have bacon and eggs, if we had bacon.
#14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconpatroller
don't worry about whether it "has" the tow package or not. what difference does it make? just tow stuff and if it breaks, you can always fix it. IMHO.
Thats not the point, the point is when you tow, you will put more heat and stress on the engine and the transmission. Over time is when it will fail, with any luck, it will fail as soon as the factory warranty is up.
#15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 AM
rgrumley

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
I asked my dealer to check the vin and was told they wouldn't have been able to install the Toyota hitch if I hadn't received the tow package, so he didn't bother. He said that was now the case with the 08s. I'm still skeptical as they initially tried to pawn off an aftermarket hitch on me. Does anyone know which number or where in the vin you can tell if the package was installed?

#16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrumley
Does anyone know which number or where in the vin you can tell if the package was installed?
I'm pretty certain that you cannot tell options packages from VINs.

VIN will tell you things like the manufacturer, year, model, body style, production number, manufacturing plant and a few other basic things, but to my knowledge nothing specific like options or original color.

There are VIN decoders out there; try plugging your VIN in and see what it comes up with.
#17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Notepad, while you are generally correct regarding the limited info that the VIN offers, they do tend to tell more of a story on options. The VIN on my 97 Camaro, for example, contains such things as the engine option, coupe or convertible and some safety items like restrain systems, etc.

What people need to reference is the vehicle build sheet. They are generally discarded during the dealer prep process. They contain detailed option items, like differential gear ratio, interior/exterior color, radio options, shock types, suspension options and more. I still have the original build sheet for my 454SS truck and I still have a copy of the build sheet on my 67 Vette.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV4Don
Notepad, while you are generally correct regarding the limited info that the VIN offers, they do tend to tell more of a story on options. The VIN on my 97 Camaro, for example, contains such things as the engine option, coupe or convertible and some safety items like restrain systems, etc.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant by 'options' were things like CD player vs CD changer, A/C or not, leather vs cloth seats. The basic mechanics/structure tend to be covered by VIN afaik. I've also seen airbags listed; I would guess this is some kind of safety feature so if someone encounters this car in a junkyard or a car wreck, they can get in the car following proper safety?

Quote:
I still have the original build sheet for my 454SS truck and I still have a copy of the build sheet on my 67 Vette.
Sweet!
#19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:04 PM

My g/f just wrecked her 08 Rav L w/tow prep and her original estimate had non-tow prep listed on the estimate regarding the radiator. The shop assured us that they did indeed replace it correctly. How can I tell by visual inspection? I was told they used 100% OEM Toy parts. I have been looking for a picture of a V6 under the hood, as I would like to compare the repair to the original. The Rav was purchased in the US if that makes any difference. The body shop also refused to give me my parts back, is there a law against it? I would have loved to scrap the radiator and catalytic converter. Our ded was a 1,000 and that would have been nice to put towards it. Despite these issues, the you can't tell the repair was even made. Flawless in my eyes.
#20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystyk28
My g/f just wrecked her 08 Rav L w/tow prep and her original estimate had non-tow prep listed on the estimate regarding the radiator. The shop assured us that they did indeed replace it correctly. How can I tell by visual inspection?
Read the first few posts on this thread (on page 1), and you'll find the info you are seeking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page