How much can a 07 RAV4 base model tow? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 PM
junglegirlsue

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
How much can a 07 RAV4 base model tow?

I have an 07 Rav4 base model. No 4WD. I am looking at getting a camper trailer. I need one with a bathroom. I am looking at a T@B from Dutchman. It is 2400 lbs of dry weight. I am not even sure what that means. Can my Rav4 handle it. Has anyone had a trailer hitch put on a rav4?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How much can a 07 RAV4 base model tow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglegirlsue
I have an 07 Rav4 base model. No 4WD. I am looking at getting a camper trailer. I need one with a bathroom. I am looking at a T@B from Dutchman. It is 2400 lbs of dry weight. I am not even sure what that means. Can my Rav4 handle it. Has anyone had a trailer hitch put on a rav4?
First you need to tell us if you have a V6 and Tow Package.

If yes, you can tow 3500 pounds, if no then 2000. These are the conservative (safe) factory recommendations. Exceed them at your own risk!

I checked the T@b website
http://www.tab-rv.com/index.php

and the base weight (no options or fluids) for that trailer is 1939 pounds. You must be reading that 2400 pounds off the data plate on a particular trailer with some heavy options. Add 40 pounds for full water tank (5 gal) , then all your food and personal "stuff" like clothing and a bike or two, and it will probably be 2800+ pounds loaded and ready to roil.

The V6 with Tow Package will pull that much, but I personally wouldn't want to. That's a lot of weight behind a small trucklet. OTH if you are set on a small travel trailer that's a real sweetheart and would probably tow much better than a big boxy trailer..

It has surge brakes which are easy to operate and maintain, but they aren't as safe as electric brakes IMHO. You have no way of adjusting the braking amount for different road conditions, nor can you manually apply them in an emergency (like when the trailer starts to sway). That shouldn't stop you from buying, but I don't really understand why they put those brakes on a travel trailer - they are usually found on boat trailers that have to be submerged, and heavy utility trailers.

We talk about this stuff all the time. Please use Search and do a little reading and you will learn a bunch about towing.

Good luck.

EDIT: I found this at the website:
"Want to know if your car can tow a T@B? Check your owner's manual: if you have a tow rating of 2000 lbs or more, you're ready to go!"

This is obviously BS of the highest degree.

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
#3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 AM
junglegirlsue

more from sue

I do not have any extras on my Rav4 so no tow package. So if I get it right this trailer sounds like a bad idea. Hmmm. Most trailers that do not pop up and have bath facilities are about the size of this one. I am a woman traveling with my Mom and 3 year old. I wanted something we could handle. I don;t think I am strong enough for cranking one up and down. And I don't want to bath in a public restroom. I am still open to suggestions. THanks!!!

#4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 AM

There simply aren't many choices if you don't want a pop-up tent trailer. I don't think the hand crank is hard to operate, and I've read of folks who use a battery powered drill to operate it. You might even locate one with a built in power raise feature... I dunno.

Maybe you should look at some short tent trailers and ask to try the crank to see how hard it is. Finding one with a full bath will be the true problem! I think you might have to forget this feature.

Here's one that's pretty light:
http://www.palominorv.com/palomino/s...uct&model=pony

Have you thought about a really ultralight tent trailer similar to this?:
http://www.kamparoo.com/index2.htm

It's definitely no travel trailer, but would tow like a dream behind even a 4 cylinder RAV4 and it's very quick to set up.

Other than suggesting a new vehicle, I can't offer anything else. It's a little trucklet, and it needs a real little trailer.

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
#5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 AM
blackaj

Depending on your budget, a power lift is an option on some of the newer popups. I would be real hesitant towing a T@b with a base Rav4. I have a '95 Palomino Stallion Popup and it's dry weight is around 1400lb and my i4 handles it nicely, although I am definately getting a tranny cooler fitted to make sure I don't fry the tranny. Other than that, it feels fine, but that extra 500lbs would sure make a difference. Alot of the popups also come with a cassette toilet, so while it's not the fanciest place to do what has to be done, it does beat leaving the trailer and walking to the nearest bathroom. If you want more info on Popups and what may be available to you, shoot me a PM or e-mail me via the site and I'd be happy to help.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
e90

Re: How much can a 07 RAV4 base model tow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglegirlsue
First of all, log into rav4world, hover your mouse cursor over the profile tab at the upper left of your screen, click on edit profile, scroll down to vehicle model, then type in what engine you have(V6 or I4), then scroll down to the bottom and click on submit.
Now we will be in a better postion to answer your question.
Or you could answer the John E Davies request to post your engine right on this thread, and your other one too.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Went to the trailer site and it says the unloaded weight is 1585 for the T@B with U shaped floorplan. 1939 is the GVWR, which to my uninformed mind sounds like the end-point of a safely loaded trailer of this type. That's less than 2000 lbs if I did the math right.

"Net carrying capacity (NCC) determined by subtracting unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) from gross vehicle weight (GVWR) and includes fluids, options and cargo."

http://www.tab-rv.com/specs/dimensions.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page