Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How to install block heater 2007 Rav-4 2.4 L

19K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  pico 
G
#1 ·
Where is the place to install block heater in Rav - 4 /2007 2.4L ?

G
#3 ·
I would really appreciate if someone could help me out, or post some pictures or give me a hint of where to put a block heater in a Toyota Rav4 2007 2.4L I'm in a hurry so if you can please help me out because winter is just around the corner!
Thank-you for your time!!

#4 ·
student7202 said:
I would really appreciate if someone could help me out, or post some pictures or give me a hint of where to put a block heater in a Toyota Rav4 2007 2.4L I'm in a hurry so if you can please help me out because winter is just around the corner!
Thank-you for your time!!
If it's huge rush, just drop by the Toyota dealer and ask to look at the parts fiche.

Also, I would be really surprised if the part didn't come with some instructions. Is this a generic heater or OEM?

Why such a hurry? Even if it snows tomorrow you won't need a block heater for a couple of months at least.

If you have over 30K miles on the trucklet, you might as well go ahead and do a complete coolant change while you have the floor all messy.

#5 ·
When I installed the block heater on my 04 Matrix I didn't have to remove any frost plugs (like in the older Chevys and such), as there was a "hole" built in to the block on the rear drivers-side with a clip wo hold it in. I suppode the collant ran around the hole, but the heater itself was not submerged at all. I am betting the Rav is roughly the same.

Have you had any luck yet?

By the way, I live in Alberta and even in last February's -46c cold snap I didn't use or need the block heater in either of my cars. They both started up fine.

#6 ·
I'm scheduled to have a block heater installed on my 4-cyl tomorrow. I'm planning on having the dealer do it, although I think I found where the block heater would fit in. I'll be able to verify that after the dealer installs it (hopefully they know where...although when I showed them the block heater information they didn't seem to realize that block heaters were an option....and they couldn't find the part #...but they did have a box that had the canadian part # on it)

The location I THINK is the location is on the driver's side, in the engine block just above where the transmission and engine connect. It's kind of hidden. If that's the place, looks like one would need to remove the air filter assembly and push some hoses out of the way to get the room needed to work in. I think one would need to attack this thing from above.

I'll post pictures, although it's hard to see the hole that I think is the one to use...
Many thanks to Synchman and his post regarding the V-6 block heater install - gave me a hint as to what the hole looked like. (and also to folks in the Prius forum)

I don't know how often I'll use it, but on those frosty -15 mornings, I want the RAV to warm up quick & easy. My old 98 Rav4 had a remote starter...which was fine until those mornings when it didn't want to turn over due to cold soak.

#7 ·
I had a quite a few days in the -20 range in the past couple years, never any hint of any problems starting. If I get a chance tonight I'll check the manual, someone here was nice enough to post up for us to DL, I haven't a clue if you can still find the thread let alone DL the files still.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's good to hear - I'm keeping the Rav4 outside this winter - have just a few mile commute and on the really cold mornings I don't want to freeze all the way to work! I'm not too worried about startup with the new Rav, but do want to be as warm as possible as soon as possible.

Although I was worried, the dealer did a great job - I did supply them with pic's from Synchman's v6 block heater post, plus the photo's that I just posted to my album. They said those pics and descriptions were very helpful - apparently the block heater didn't have instructions! I was charged for an hour of labor (expected) ...but figured that if anything broke at least they'd have the parts on hand to fix.

Besides, the night before we brought it in, my wife said if the car got messed up we'd just have the dealer give us new V6 model...and that was after bringing me a beer & peanuts. Life is good! (I do like the 4 though.)

Hope these picks help anyone else who may have this done or does it themselves.

#10 ·
I'll try to take some pics....gets dark too quickly now after work!
I noticed that there is an aluminum type wrap over a good portion of the wire going to the block heater to protect it from hot engine parts. It looked like they tried to run the wire on the right side (facing the car) of the battery, away from hot parts.

We had a cold snap about a week ago (0 degrees), so I plugged in the block heater for about 45min...and my scangauge indicated about 40degree coolant temp before I started the engine...which told me that it was working. Of course since then we've had some weird warm weather (almost 55 degrees!). Maybe the block heater warmed up more than my Rav4?

#12 ·
If you are in a panic about keeping the engine warm, get a magnetic oil sump heater. I know NAPA sells them as I just bought onew for my CUTE 1997 two door. It's a 200 watt heater that magnetically sticks to the oil sump/pan. It doesn't keep the water warm like a plug heater but is better than nothing and is EASY: just plug it in and stick it on. Is it a minor PITA to get on one knee and put it on/pull the thing off? Yes. But I do it every morning in the cold Winter in my work clothes before I go to work. Don't forget to unplug the heater (any heater mentioned here). My SO drove off with hers a-dragging and was afraid to show me the plug. It suffered a minor amount of grief before she realized what she had done. Now she puts a note on her steering wheel to reminder her it's plugged in. This type works best if it keeps already warmed-up oil warm; i.e., plug it in when you get home. It got to -20 last Winter and started up just fine.

#14 ·
Not in a panic, necessarily, and I do have a block heater, but the cord/plug are inside the engine compartment. I'm just wondering where to bring it to through to the outside. I can't imagine that it just sits under the hood. I don't have a garage and find that my vehicles just last longer and start better if they are plugged in when the temperature is below -20. I haven't had the vehicle for very long. Used 2007 V6 Sport. I can't even operate the audio system yet, either. :] It's and older aftermarket Kenwood.

#15 ·
Having lived in Montana where, at least once a year it got to -20 or worse (lowest I saw it was -45: that was freaking COLD!!:cool:), EVERYONE has a plug hanging out of their grill somewhere. Some were just lying on the bumper, some were attached to the grill with cord or zipties. Just find a place for it to stick out. If people ask what it's for, just tell them the love of your car.....:kiss

#16 ·
Cut off the external plug so that you can wind the cord through the engine bay and push it through the grille. Sometimes it is easier to pull a cord rather than push it: tie a piece of strong twine to the cord, then the other end of the twine through the grille and gently pull it through.Then replace the plug with with a weather proof cap especially if you park outdoors. A good source for such protection is from boating supply shops.

Roadjunkie's observation is so true here, too. I'm adding a battery tender as well. At only -30F the battery is very weak otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.