same engine as camry? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
same engine as camry?

I was test driving new Rav4 at the dealer and they told me it's the same engine as in new camry. Is it true?
I know previously Rav4 had very different engine as camry which had BTW gelling problem with their engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to rav4ian
Yes, on the v6. Not sure about the 4cyl. Get your engine code and google it.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 PM

#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

I heard that the camry v6 tranny has some hesitation issue. Yup, I was surprised when I saw that article about a lotus using this engine with 6spd manual gearbox. I'm not sure if we can adopt it to our rav4 since lotus is a mid-engine. Just hope some genius crack the code.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4ian
I heard that the camry v6 tranny has some hesitation issue. Yup, I was surprised when I saw that article about a lotus using this engine with 6spd manual gearbox. I'm not sure if we can adopt it to our rav4 since lotus is a mid-engine. Just hope some genius crack the code.
This is the second engine Lotus has sourced from Toyota. The first one was the engine and tranny out of the Celica GTS. The Celica was fw drive and the Lotus is a Mid mount, (you see were I am going with this?). Depending on where Lotus got the tranny, (my bet is Toyota) there is a possiability it could be done most likely only on the fw drive version of the RAV. These are my thoughs any way.

Although anything can be done with enough money.

SS-
#6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

I own a 1997 Camry 4cylinder and have never had an issue with the oil. In fact over the years I have put in a new alternator and fuel/air sensor, other than that just normal maintenance items like tires, brakes and batteries. I think a lot of the issues are with those not changing their oil at regulary scheduled maintenance intervals as suggested by Toyota. My Camry now has nearly 155, 000 miles on it and it still runs great. Frankly I just got sick of it and switched to the RAV.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
Toyota is pretty lazy on engines, so they use the same engine in as many models as they can. the one exception being the 09' RAV's.

the V6 is toyota's 2GR-FE that they use in EVERY current-model V6 FWD/AWD car/SUV from the Avalon to the Highlander.

the 4-cyl is the 2AZ-FE, also well used in many toyota vehicles, such as the Scion tC, RAV4, Camry, Highlander, Etc. the AZ engines are currently the most common toyota engines right now, with the 1AZ being used in some of the smaller cars, and the 2AZ being used in the bigger ones.

the exception being the brand new AR-family of engines. the brand new 2AR-FE 4cyl engine being used in the new 09' RAV's is a brand new engine, and so far the RAV is the only vehicle to have one. that is sure to change with the release of the new toyota Venza, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyDee
I own a 1997 Camry 4cylinder and have never had an issue with the oil. In fact over the years I have put in a new alternator and fuel/air sensor, other than that just normal maintenance items like tires, brakes and batteries. I think a lot of the issues are with those not changing their oil at regulary scheduled maintenance intervals as suggested by Toyota. My Camry now has nearly 155, 000 miles on it and it still runs great. Frankly I just got sick of it and switched to the RAV.
A mechanic who's working at one shop I know pretty well, he has '97 or '98 Camry 4-cyl with 300,000 miles on it. The engine is original, not sure about the tranny though, I gotta ask him again. I was amazed.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
~97-2000 camry, lexus etc engine oil gelling flow is well known and a fact published many times on the internet. I've read many frustrated users opinions, toyota wanted them to change oil like every 2k miles or so which is ridiculous. Today you change oil around 10k miles interval. Only in US we have 3k miles scam oil change interval recommended.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

The only thing we have done to the tranny is a transmission flush at about 100,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page