real 4wd?? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM
klau86

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
real 4wd??

has anyone done any real 4wd ing in their rav? ive been off road, on a easyish track. and thru some mud, i wanna kno how good it is? has anyone gone real driving??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
haha "real driving" that might be subjective, but i think i know what you are talking about.
have you off roaded in your rav yet?
i did a long trek down the side of a mountain and took some pictures. it wasnt something i would take in a car, and it had its challenges for the rav (i took the harder roads on purpose, lol)
check the pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...b&id=508564803

it was all rocky road with some mud, a few hills, gravel pits, sandy washes and great stretches for 50+ MPH runs... all just enough for the rav, not difficult enough for a jeep tho
-- it was the second most "difficult" (for the rav4) run ive done. most difficult was basically a road made up of rocks embedded in the roadway that you had to floor it over to get up (kept hanging up the rear wheels and 4wd couldnt pull all the way)

what have you done/are you looking to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell
my wife uses duct tape to stick spiders/bugs to the wall so i can kill them when i get home LOL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:57 AM

I've done a few miscellaneous off road type activities in my RAV. Including driving on a very soft sandy beach and a few weeks ago I went up a local mountain and decided to see where a few logging roads led to.

I did find one place that was exceptionally tricky... It was actually a downhill ski-run with a pretty steep incline and loose mud and rocks for the tires to contact. there wasn't really a 'road' per se to drive on but I went anyways. The RAV did great just took it easy and was very careful.

Shortly after that, I found another logging road which kept going to a point where you could tell it was not used anymore for a long time. Many large rocks and a number of obstacles to get around but we did just fine despite hitting some very steep stuff and a number of places where the road had been washed away to leave a 'ditch' to cross. Only one place gave a slight scratch on the front bumper.

As for serious mudding and whatnot... i LOVE mud and so far i haven't gotten my RAV into anything I can't get it back out of... I have had to use the 4x4 lock a number of times though as it gives a much more solid feel to how it handles whatever I'm into.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but I'll just say, I love taking it off road and seems to handle most of everything I throw at it very well. On the flip side, though, I would be much more aggressive with a 4rnr or FJ cruiser.

I only tackle stuff that 'cars' wouldn't handle because of low ground clearance and lack of 4x4 capabilities. After all, thats what this little trucklet is, a car with more ground clearance and 4wd

All the best
~Frost
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Banned

I drove safari in rav4 and it was great...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium
Did this guy roll? It is a great photo illustrating the absolute WORST thing you can do on a steep slope. I sure hope the steepness is an optical illusion.... I suspect that is just a regular forest road hairpin turn, which isn't really very steep.

Never, ever, EVER drive sideways on steep slopes (over say 15 or 20 degrees).... back down straight if you can't make the top. Side slopes kill. You think you are ok and then one tire drops into a deep hole - !@#$%, over you go! If you have no choice but to drive them, go really slow, have an observer to coach you, and know your roll angle. That angle is a really difficult thing to discover - serious off-roaders install angle displays and watch them closely. For a Land Rover Discovery it is around 40 degrees.

This used to be a Jeep CJ:

http://www.offroaders.com/readers/archives.htm

Let's be very careful out there people!

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
Never, ever, EVER drive sideways on steep slopes (over say 15 or 20 degrees).... back down straight if you can't make the top. Side slopes kill.
exactly, another tip is never use breaks. On the steep slope it's essential to move forward - if you stop, it can be your last stop...to heaven :P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned

also, avoid sandy slopes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3HQd8M1C4o
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
klau86

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
ive done down hills and up rocky slopes, scraped the underside a bit, and got the fuel tank twice, not a nice sound! been thru some water, and dirt, i wanna explore some of this great country! just need a travel buddy haha so if i get stuck!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost
I went up a local mountain and decided to see where a few logging roads led to.

I did find one place that was exceptionally tricky... It was actually a downhill ski-run with a pretty steep incline and loose mud and rocks for the tires to contact. there wasn't really a 'road' per se to drive on but I went anyways. The RAV did great just took it easy and was very careful.
frost, you sound like that kind of guy id like to roll with... lol, ur in canada. next time im in portland for the summer, we gotta have a NNW OFF ROAD meet. we can explore some stuff together so incase we get stuck... klau86, you could come from australia but it sucks youre not in the US, we could've all met up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell
my wife uses duct tape to stick spiders/bugs to the wall so i can kill them when i get home LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page