Toyota got some 'splainin to do [AWD systems on Rav4, Highlander, Venza and Sienna?] - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Toyota got some 'splainin to do [AWD systems on Rav4, Highlander, Venza and Sienna?]

What is the difference between the AWD systems on Rav4, Highlander, Venza and Sienna?

Go to Toyota's own page and look at the compare to other vehicles and insert the 4 models this is what you get:

In Comparison Toyota's descriptions are as follows:
Highlander: Four Wheel Drive - Full Time
Rav4: All Wheel Drive
Venza: Four Wheel Drive - Full Time
Sienna: All Wheel Drive

Looks like there are two systems, one in use by the Highlander and Sienna and the other by the Rav4 and Venza.

Now look at the descriptions in the detailed specs for each model:

Highlander: Full-time 4-wheel drive (4WD)
Rav4: Electronic On-Demand 4WD with 4WD manual lock switch
Venza: Active Torque Control All-Wheel Drive system
Sienna: Active Torque Control All-Wheel Drive system

Now it looks like there are 3 types with the highlander and rav4 each having their own and the Venza and Sienna sharing this new fangled active torque control.

So what do we have here, a single system with multiple names or 2 systems or 3?

The highlander community seems pretty convinced that they have full time 50-50 split.

I think the Venza and Sienna both have the switch to turn off VSC indicating that they are probably the same as the RAV4. I'm not sure if the Highlander does or not. But if it does I suspect it may also be the same as the RAV4. Maybe the 50-50 full time split is just a potential split for when the car slips and VSC comes on when it can go to 50-50.

The hp and torque measurements for the v6 in all models are within 2-3 hp or footpounds of each other. If the AWD systems were different might those numbers also be different? Are they measuring HP at the flywheel or at the rear wheels?

Does anyone have an answer to this confusing mess?

Mike
~
~

America is not at war.
The Marines are at war,
America is at the mall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

The Matrix also has an AWD option.

4ever

2013 LIMITED

Old Age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. (Chinese proverb)
#3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
avs
Advanced Member

HP measurement:
http://wikicars.org/en/Horsepower#hp_.28SAE.29
In the United States the term "bhp" fell into disuse after the American Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended manufacturers use hp (SAE) to indicate the net power of the engine, given that particular car's complete engine installation. It measures engine power at the flywheel, not counting drivetrain losses.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs
HP measurement:
http://wikicars.org/en/Horsepower#hp_.28SAE.29
In the United States the term "bhp" fell into disuse after the American Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended manufacturers use hp (SAE) to indicate the net power of the engine, given that particular car's complete engine installation. It measures engine power at the flywheel, not counting drivetrain losses.
"Complete engine installation" is the key component here. There maybe minor ECM changes per model, but my understanding (per reading elsewhere) is the exhaust routing/length & air intake plumbing/restriction can change the HP level slightly.

And as far as the AWD differences, I can't explain the different text but I like the idea of the manual lock feature for the Rav's AWD. I played with it once but I haven't had any need for it...yet.

Other Big-Boy Toys:
1990 ZR-1
2001 Yamaha V-Max(with carb & exhaust upgrades)
1996 HD Road King(fender emblems read RoadKill)
2003 Bombardier Traxter ATV
2001 Skidoo MXZ800 Adrenaline
#5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM

My understanding is that the Highlander does have a full-time AWD system that's different from the Active Torque Control AWD used on the RAV4, 2011 Sienna, Venza and Matrix. On the RAV4 it's usually called "4WD" for marketing reasons, but the only difference is the manual "lock" button.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM
avs
Advanced Member

Rav4, Sienna and Venza 's AWD/4WD systems works very similiar to each other. The basic configurations for them are, you have an engine, transmission, transfercase, propeller shaft, solenoid activated clutch plate then the rear differential.
The transfercase drives the propeller shaft which then connects to the solenoid activated clutch. The solenoid activated clutch mounts in front of the rear differential. When you drive normally in dry pavement, they're all fwd. When there's a speed differential detected between the two wheels, it activates the solenoid activated clutch which then send some of the torque to the rear differential. The front and rear differential should both be open differential. The rav4's manual 4wd button is basically let's you activate the solenoid activated clutch no matter what the speed differential condition is.

I'm not 100% sure how the highlander awd/4wd system works. I'm guessing it's the same except it runs in 4wd the entire time.

This is the patent Toyota has for their awd/4wd system. Lots of technical infos. http://www.google.com/patents/about?...&dq=toyota+4wd
#7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Are you sure Highlander's Full-time Four Wheel Drive is a 50/50 split?
#8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
avs
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyride
Are you sure Highlander's Full-time Four Wheel Drive is a 50/50 split?
The first generation is 50:50 split. I'm not too sure about the latest generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page