OEM-equivalent backup-camera system - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM-equivalent backup-camera system

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about how I'd had a backup-camera system installed on my RAV4. The original setup included a Boyo VTL 275 license-plate camera and a Boyo VTM 600 LCD display mirror. I had a couple of problems with this mirror: (1) glare and (2) shake. Glare in the mirror made it hard to see the LCD display. I found I either had to tilt my head up or tilt the mirror down. Since the Boyo mirror was mounted on the car's OEM mirror, I eventually hit on the latter method, flipping the OEM mirror to night-time angle while backing up for better rearview camera viewing in the day time. But because the Boyo mirror was mounted on and clamped to the OEM mirror, and because the OEM mirror's ball joint was not tight enough, I found that the Boyo mirror would jiggle constantly while I was driving. The shake was pronounced enough that it was hard to ignore and consequently annoying.

So today I upgraded, returning the Boyo mirror (the shop was nice enough to take it back and give me a credit for it) and replacing the Toyota OEM rearview mirror with a new, auto-dimming, LCD backup camera-display rearview mirror (Gentex, Model No. GENK352). This mirror has a 3.5-inch display in the left-hand corner, which is big enough to spot anything behind you with about a 170-degree field of vision. There's no glare to obscure the display and no mirror shake. All in all, an excellent solution, although it didn't come cheap. See photos of the mirror and license-plate backup camera below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gentex small.jpg (150.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Boyo camera small.jpg (145.0 KB, 152 views)

'07 Blizzard Pearl RAV4 Limited; 6-cylinder, 4WD (Retired)
2012 Camry Hybrid XLE

2010 AWD Lexus RX 450h

Last edited by Aptos Driver; 03-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aptos Driver For This Useful Post:
Lovaduck (08-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,097 Times in 793 Posts
Garage
Nice upgrade! My RAV4 came with the "OEM" autodimming mirror with compass, and guess who makes it? Gentex. It came with a Gentex instruction sheet in the glove box. They are excellent mirrors--well worth the price. Do they make one like yours with the compass display as well?

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug1701 View Post
Nice upgrade! My RAV4 came with the "OEM" autodimming mirror with compass, and guess who makes it? Gentex. It came with a Gentex instruction sheet in the glove box. They are excellent mirrors--well worth the price. Do they make one like yours with the compass display as well?
They show the different types of Gentex mirrors on this link. They do have one with the compass, it also comes with homelink, but it is a bit pricier.

Gentex Auto-dimming Mirrors with Rear Camera Display from MITO Corporation Excellence in Electronics for Auto, Car, Truck, SUV, RV and Boats

---Love the mirror, I have the same one.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameshak View Post
They show the different types of Gentex mirrors on this link. They do have one with the compass, it also comes with homelink, but it is a bit pricier.

Gentex Auto-dimming Mirrors with Rear Camera Display from MITO Corporation Excellence in Electronics for Auto, Car, Truck, SUV, RV and Boats

---Love the mirror, I have the same one.
Since we don't have a garage, only a driveway, homelink is of no use to us.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE

2010 AWD Lexus RX 450h
#5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM

I see you have a license plate frame camera. Do you have the spare tire on the back or runflats? If you have the spare tire on the back, does it block your view?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt053 View Post
I see you have a license plate frame camera. Do you have the spare tire on the back or runflats? If you have the spare tire on the back, does it block your view?
Yup, I have a spare tire, and no, it doesn't block my view -- I think because the little camera is actually angled down. I do get a great convex view of the RAV's rear bumper.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE

2010 AWD Lexus RX 450h
#7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptos Driver View Post
Yup, I have a spare tire, and no, it doesn't block my view -- I think because the little camera is actually angled down. I do get a great convex view of the RAV's rear bumper.
Did you wire the camera yourselves? I am looking at a kit on eBay, 7" GPS + wireless camera, same type of mount as yours on top of plate. It is supposed to be wired into reverse lights, not sure how to do it with camera on the Toyota swing gate.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma46 View Post
Did you wire the camera yourselves? I am looking at a kit on eBay, 7" GPS + wireless camera, same type of mount as yours on top of plate. It is supposed to be wired into reverse lights, not sure how to do it with camera on the Toyota swing gate.
Not being the handy type, I had it professionally installed. They wired up everything just right and ran the wires from the rear to the front (to connect to the rearview mirror) behind the door panels. I, on the other hand, would have made a terrible mess of it.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE

2010 AWD Lexus RX 450h
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page