Intermittent front wipers - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is an adjustment (variable resistor) inside the wiper switch assembly, based on the switch circuit diagram below. I think you have to remove the whole switch assembly from the steering column and open the whole assembly to find the adjustment. I didn't find the intervals too short, but if it's too short for you guys, then use the mist ( push upwards ) switch.

Wiper switch circuit diagrams.

Wiper switch assembly.

My first RAV4

Last edited by myrava; 04-22-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to we5leyz Send a message via MSN to we5leyz
Because of this thread... I finally know what that knob is for on the stalk... I always thought it was to set how high I want the washer fluid to go... Now I know it's for the wipers... 5 years.. and now I finally know...
#23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to CBR74
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrava View Post
There is an adjustment (variable resistor) inside the wiper switch assembly, based on the switch circuit diagram below. I think you have to remove the whole switch assembly from the steering column and open the whole assembly to find the adjustment. I didn't find the intervals too short, but if it's too short for you guys, then use the mist ( push upwards ) switch.

Wiper switch circuit diagrams.

Wiper switch assembly.
That variable resistor in the diagram is the dial on the stalk that already adjusts the intermittant frequency. You'd need to put an additional resistor in series with that to slow the frequency any more.

Flint Mica 2007 Sport V6 4WD
#24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:26 AM

CBR74, the switch or dial on the stalk for intermittent is the big rectangular drawing at the left (circled) that is labeled "Front Wiper Switch". And there's another rectangular drawing at the bottom that's labeled "Front washer switch". I don't know why it is drawn rectangular that it should have been an arrow and a dot to show a switch. I wish I can remove my RAV's wiper switch easily (scared of airbag) to check why it functions differently. Then I'll take pictures for everybody.

My first RAV4

Last edited by myrava; 04-23-2011 at 01:30 AM.
#25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

That is a different kind of diagram from the circles and arrows common in electronics. For example, in the MIST and LO positions, wire "+8" is connected to wire "+1" (if I am reading things correctly).

Lifting the negative battery terminal a few minutes before working would keep the airbag from going off. Still, I think you would be better served by using the momentary MIST setting unless you are in some microclimate where you are driving in a very light mist for long periods.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to CBR74
Quote:
CBR74, the switch or dial on the stalk for intermittent is the big rectangular drawing at the left (circled) that is labeled "Front Wiper Switch". And there's another rectangular drawing at the bottom that's labeled "Front washer switch". I don't know why it is drawn rectangular that it should have been an arrow and a dot to show a switch. I wish I can remove my RAV's wiper switch easily (scared of airbag) to check why it functions differently. Then I'll take pictures for everybody.

Flint Mica 2007 Sport V6 4WD
#27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM

Thank you CBR74 and Carbon. Now, I have enough info to work on my RAV. Thanks to this forum and to those nice people that shares information. I will post and update you guys when I'm done.

My first RAV4
#28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks Carbon. Just seems odd to have the same labels for intermittent switches on my 2 toyota vehicles but functions differently. I will just ask the dealer about this one.

2004 Toyota Sienna

2008 Toyota RAV4
I recently bought a 2011 Rav4 and my wipers function the same as the OP. I was confused at 1st because I also own a 2006 Sienna and the intermittent wipers function the exact opposite. The long top bar on the Sienna makes the cycle period between wipes longer, but in the Rav4 it does shorter intervals.
#29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 03:01 PM

This is all very interesting (I liked the detail provided in the block diagrams), but to be honest, when it's raining or misting I just turn the knobs until the wipers are going at the rate I need. We have two Toyotas and without checking the cars myself or the manuals, I couldn't even tell you which direction one needs to turn the knobs, or even if they are in different directions on the two cars.
#30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM

You are right Joysmahal. The RAV is the 7th toyota I owned and of all the toyotas I had from the past, this is the car that have the opposite intermittent switch. Because to me, the wider the bar, the longer the time between wipes, just like the Sienna. I want to change the wiring but it's always rainy and still cold where I lived. Also, whenever I have the time to visit the dealer, I will also want to ask one of their electricians for some info.

My first RAV4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page