Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New style flip key!

44K views 128 replies 39 participants last post by  NinjaDogg 
#1 ·
After getting stabbed in the thigh one too many times by the sword-like remote key, I decided to get one of the flip out "switchblade" keys. Browsing Ebay and looking at the "Autobot" key and the original flip key reviewed on the forums, I found this one which I had not seen before:

Toyota 3 button Flip Key Shell Hilux Rav4 Corolla Camry | eBay

So I figured WTH and ordered it for $16. I'll report back here when it arrives from China.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
New "Lux" version flip key - review

I have both this new style "Lux" version, and the "autobot" version. I had purchased the new one a few weeks ago.

I prefer this new "Lux" version.

It has a more high-end feel, and looks more luxurious, due to the chromed metal side pieces. The new version is solid and weighs slightly more than the autobot.

I really like that it has 3 separate remote buttons, rather than the single membrane of the autobot. The buttons work better, in my opinion.

The flip mechanism and internal compartment fit is fine. I had the key cut by a local locksmith - again, everything went smoothly with no problems.

The only minor complaint when compared to the autobot is that the key blade has a slight "brass" finish, whereas the autobot's blade shows bright chrome (actually I don't know how long the blade's finish would last anyways). But this is very minor and is only noticeable if you are picky.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new "Lux" version flip key.

After getting stabbed in the thigh one too many times by the sword-like remote key, I decided to get one of the flip out "switchblade" keys. Browsing Ebay and looking at the "Autobot" key and the original flip key reviewed on the forums, I found this one which I had not seen before:

Toyota 3 button Flip Key Shell Hilux Rav4 Corolla Camry | eBay

So I figured WTH and ordered it for $16. I'll report back here when it arrives from China.

#4 ·
I have both this new style "Lux" version, and the "autobot" version. I had purchased the new one a few weeks ago.

I prefer this new "Lux" version.

It has a more high-end feel, and looks more luxurious, due to the chromed metal side pieces. The new version is solid and weighs slightly more than the autobot.

I really like that it has 3 separate remote buttons, rather than the single membrane of the autobot. The buttons work better, in my opinion.

The flip mechanism and internal compartment fit is fine. I had the key cut by a local locksmith - again, everything went smoothly with no problems.

The only minor complaint when compared to the autobot is that the key blade has a slight "brass" finish, whereas the autobot's blade shows bright chrome (actually I don't know how long the blade's finish would last anyways). But this is very minor and is only noticeable if you are picky.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new "Lux" version flip key.
Thanks for the review, g_rav! I was hoping the sides were metal and not plastic. Did you put the immobilizer chip in yours? If so, where's the best spot for it?

#6 ·
Gonna try this one. Thanks!

#7 · (Edited)
Well, the flip key arrived in the mail today. It took 16 days to make the trip from China. Packaging is minimal--foam wrapped in a padded envelope. First impressions were very good--it seems well made with a little heft to it because of the chrome plated metal frame. At first glance it looks like a fancy cigarette lighter!

Before doing anything with it, I brought it down to my local locksmith shop and asked if he could cut it. He said he wasn't sure if it would fit on his machine, but it did and he cut it with no problems. He charged me around 2 bucks to cut it, and I went outside and checked it in the door, and the ignition cylinder. It worked fine on both sides, so I went back home and took it apart. There are 4 tiny screws holding it together, 2 that secure the spring/key blade side, and 2 for the compartment that holds the remote module. It came with 4 spare screws, a swivel eyelet, and a stick-on Toyota emblem. The screws that hold the spring side are in the indent for the emblem, and when you remove them the spring will tend to push the housing apart. Also in this end is a recess for the immobilizer chip.

Ah, yes, the immobilizer chip. Opening the Toyota key and transferring the remote module to the flip key was a piece of cake--it fit perfectly. But they used a lot of glue on my immobilizer chip. I had to carefully Dremel out the plastic surrounding it without damaging the chip itself. It was like a dentist trying to extract a tooth without cracking it. Finally got it out intact with an Xacto knife. I thought I might have to glue it into the flip key housing, but it was a snug fit and there is a plastic ridge on the opposite cover that keeps it in place. When putting the spring side cover on you have to spin it around 1 rotation to charge the spring, then hold it down while securing it with the 2 screws. Finally, secure the larger cover with the other screws and stick on the Toyota emblem. I then went out to the RAV to test it and it works great! Not a bad deal for 16 bucks and the shipping's free as long as you're not in a hurry. Here are a few pics:

As received:

This is how it looks in the driver's door:

And in the ignition in the OFF position:

And in the RUN position:

And on the desk:

#9 ·
Can you post and update on this, like is it still firm and intact or did it start to fall apart? I had the autobot flip key and after 6 months it turned to crap! Hope this one is better cause I ordered one.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#10 ·
Can you post and update on this, like is it still firm and intact or did it start to fall apart? I had the autobot flip key and after 6 months it turned to crap! Hope this one is better cause I ordered one.
I've been using the flip key for 1 month now and I love it! It's very well made and feels substantial, not cheap at all. Even the buttons have a better feel than the factory unit. I'll probably order a second one and convert my other key.

#16 ·
What I mean is you don't need to use any parts from your original key, just buy a G key (2010-11) and have it programmed by locksmith ( transponder), a used remote key ( to remove and use transmitter) and program to your car for remote functions, take transponder and remote and put them in the flip key, cut blade and your gtg. I assembled mine today, it feels great, much better then the autobot!

#19 ·
Mine took about 3 weeks to Florida.

#25 ·
No it can't, it won't fit, just cut the new key. My membrane also went bad.

#28 ·
No start = immobilizer problem

#31 ·
Or you can just tape the original key to the flip key, that way the immobilizer will be close to the ignition when you try to start it ;-)

#33 ·
I think you need to remount the immobilizer chip as close as possible to the ignition area in the flip key casing. It is possible you could've hosed the immobilizer chip during the transplant, but you'd have to be pretty rough with the chip during the removal/install for that to be the case.

#35 ·
As others have said, just open up the OEM key, remove the chip, and place it into the slot on the key fob. See one of my early posts for the slot location. It's quite simple to do.

You will not need to reprogram anything. In fact, since your new flip key doesn't even come with a chip inside, you won't be able to program anything. Just move the old chip to the new key and you will be fine.

I have not open the oem fob, it is still complete, that is why I don't get what happen to it, I only tested the newly cut key empty.

On Monday will go to see a friend about programing it and he said he may have some chips.

thanks

#38 ·
I agree

#43 ·
#46 ·
It's official, I'm spending way too much time playing with my... keys.

I reviewed one of the earlier flip keys here, and then the 'Autobot' flip key here... I still like the Autobot flip key - it feels good in your hand, it has a substantial weight, and it works well. However, the membrane is starting to flex (it's not disintegrating or wearing out), which is making it somewhat more awkward to use, and the shell is starting to flex a little as well.

So, when I saw this thread, I figured I'd try out a third flip key. So here's my 2 cents. First, Some pics to compare all three flip keys:

As you can see from the last pic, the membrane is flexing outwards substantially, but is not actually wearing out. You can also see the chrome finish on the 'Autobot' key itself is chipping and wearing out.

First Impressions:
It's chunkier than the Autobot flip key, but both feel good in your hand and are fairly substantial. The plastic on the Autobot flip key is smoother, whereas the new 'hard-button' flip key uses a very slightly textured plastic instead. I personally prefer the feel of the plastic on the Autobot flip key, but this is purely personal preference.

Fit and Finish as well as overall appearance is significantly better on the new 'hard-button' flip key however.

The new key is also well Designed; there are two compartments in the back compared to a single plastic backing for the other two flip keys. The top compartment is held by 2 screws and holds the flip key mechanism. The bottom half is held by 2 screws and latches into the top half. It holds the remote section - this allows you to remove the remote (to replace the battery for example), without having the flip key come out.

As someone else previously noted, the designers also included a specialized slot for the transponder! That's another 'win' for the new flip key.

I also like the fact that the entire remote module can be placed into the new flip key, without taking apart the plastic shell as the 'Autobot' flip key requires. Here's a pic of how it's necessary to disassemble the remote module to fit it into the 'Autobot' flip key:

The upside to the 'Autobot' approach is that you get a somewhat slimmer key - the new 'hard button' flip key is noticeably chunkier in the middle.

Cutting the Key:

I had no issues getting the key cut from my local locksmith. I've been using the same guy for years, and although I know I can get it done cheaper (or even for free) through Home Depot / Lowes / Toyota Dealership, I trust my local locksmith to 'do it right'.

One thing I noticed was that the key blank on the new 'hard-button' flip key seemed thicker - I don't have a caliper to measure it with, but my locksmith commented on it as well. The key blank is slightly thicker to the point that it should be considered 'out of spec' compared to the original Toyota key. In comparison, the 'Autobot' flip key blank is slightly thinner than the original Toyota Key. Nonetheless, there was no problem getting the newly cut key to turn the lock cylinder in any of the locks on the car (Ignition, Tailgate, Doors, glovebox) - it worked perfectly.

As others have noted, the blank itself is bronze, and does not change color after you cut the key - in other words, it lacks a chrome plating / coating. In hindsight, having seen how the chrome can fade / chip / wear out with age on the Autobot flip key, I think this is a good thing (despite the slightly off-putting aesthetic of having a yellow-ish key surrounded by a chrome accents on the flip key)

Day to Day usage

It's been good so far. Unlike the other two flip keys, you can see the red LED light to indicate a button has been pressed - it's masked on the other two keys.

I like the fact that the 'lock' button is concave, and the 'unlock' button is convex, making it easier to distinguish between buttons by feel alone. I was able to 'guess' where the buttons where when working the 'Autobot' flip key in my pocket, but it's nice that the new 'hard-button' flip key eliminates the need for guesswork.

I also like the fact that it has a keyring loop, that allows me to use a normal split-loop key ring. The 'Autobot' flip key made it awkward to use a normal split-loop key ring and I was using a steel wire key ring for a while.

Overall, the new flip key is a keeper in my opinion. The Original flip key shouldn't be considered at any price. It's pretty much crap compared to the latest flip keys. The 'Autobot' flip key is demoted to 'acceptable', but after a year of use, I'd have to say that it doesn't age well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.