Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New style flip key!

44K views 128 replies 39 participants last post by  NinjaDogg 
#1 ·
After getting stabbed in the thigh one too many times by the sword-like remote key, I decided to get one of the flip out "switchblade" keys. Browsing Ebay and looking at the "Autobot" key and the original flip key reviewed on the forums, I found this one which I had not seen before:

Toyota 3 button Flip Key Shell Hilux Rav4 Corolla Camry | eBay

So I figured WTH and ordered it for $16. I'll report back here when it arrives from China.

Attachments

See less See more
#48 ·
Immobilizer Question?

I see where i can buy the
Flip Key and a
Transponder Key.
Also saw where somebody bought the immobilizer for $35.

So if I dont want to tear up my OEM keys where can I buy an immobilizer?
is this correct
link or would I have to go to Toyota and give them the cash so they can make a specific one for my keys?

#49 ·
#51 ·
A quick update, bought the key, it came within 2 weeks from China (faster than other items I bought from there), got it cut a local lock-smith for $5, it took 2 cutting attempts to get it done, but it worked at the end...

Getting the immobilizer RFID tag out was a major PITA, I use side-cutters together with exacto-knife to get it out undamaged, lots of patience and time needed. Installed into the FOB slot and, to me satisfaction, it worked. Thanks to the OP and the tips on how-to!! :)

#53 ·
Sure, it should work just fine. You would have to dig the immobilizer chip out of the plastic grip of the valet key.

#55 ·
LOL :) You are both correct: he could put the chip from master into flip key but without lock/unlock/trunk module it will be just a flip-master-key :)

The flip comes with a foam pad behind the keys so if the module is not installed, the keys would be still in there supported from behind and for show only ;)

#56 ·
I read this and decided to try it. I bought the key on eBay, and then I took it to a local locksmith who copies keys in the back of his van (big box stores won't copy the keys). My RAV4 (2006 V6 4WD Base) doesn't have a transponder chip, which I thought was really weird. Anyway, I transferred the remote to the switchblade key and it works beautifully. I have no problems with it at all! It's sturdy and attractive, and works perfectly. I'm very pleased with this key.

#59 ·
I have the "autobot" version of the flip key and am very disappointed with it. While shipping was quick and it took only a little coaxing to get Home Depot to cut the key, the plastic case never quite fit properly. After a few months of use, the flexible membrane has stretched and does not fit into its place, making it very difficult to use. I plan to try the third version and hope it works a lot better than the autobot version.

#61 ·
#75 · (Edited)
If someone like OEM type key case, this is what I got.

I received 2 blanks from ebay seller in China for $4.90 each
The quality is just the same as OEM case.
Toyota logo and Denso part # sticker look authentic. I can't tell.

I went to a local locksmith shop to cut them for $2.30 each.
and reinstalled the original remotes and transponders into the new cases.
They work well.

Attachments

#66 ·
there is item No. T0019 on ebay. it looks like it might be compatible: the buttons on the case are set up the same way ( 1 button directly below the other) as the original Toyota key fobs. it's $19.99! it looks like it is the most expensive case. all other cases are around $10.

About the shell on your link, are these empty holes? are you supposed to provide your own buttons to fill the holes?
thanks

#67 ·
#68 ·
Hello all,

I'm an excited and proud new owner of a 2008 Rav4 Limited.
The dealer only had 1 key (original) and so I want to get a spare & maybe at the same time make the original into this flip style key.

Instead of buying a whole new key just to get the insides, does it make more sense ($$ wise) to buy a transponder + immobilizer chip + Flip key case? Or should I just get a new key + the flip key case and transfer everything over?

#69 ·
Instead of buying a whole new key just to get the insides, does it make more sense ($$ wise) to buy a transponder + immobilizer chip + Flip key case? Or should I just get a new key + the flip key case and transfer everything over?
Right, do like I did and buy a used remote key. You get the transmitter module and immobilizer chip. Transfer those over to the flip key and have the key cut and programmed to the car. Read about it here:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92843-adding-extra-key-using-techstream.html

#70 ·
Thanks for the information.
Will all (compatible) Toyota remote keys have both the immobilizer chip and transmitter module?

I read somewhere in this thread something about only the "limited" trim vehicles had the immobilizer. I don't know if mine has it or not (2008 Limited). When I get home tonight i'll check and see if the light on the dashboard blinks or not.

#71 ·
Thanks for the information.
Will all (compatible) Toyota remote keys have both the immobilizer chip and transmitter module?
Not necessarily. In 2006, only the Limited came with the immobilizer. In 2007 I think they added the Sport. It's different in Canada, where all models from 2006 had to have the immobilizer by law.

I read somewhere in this thread something about only the "limited" trim vehicles had the immobilizer. I don't know if mine has it or not (2008 Limited). When I get home tonight i'll check and see if the light on the dashboard blinks or not.
Yes, I can guarantee your 2008 Limited has the immobilizer system. Make sure you get a key with the "dot" on the blade, not the "G". And make sure the remote has the FCC ID of HYQ12BBY and you should be good. It doesn't have to come from a RAV4 either--mine had a trunk button so it probably came from a Camry but it works perfectly.

#72 ·
#74 ·
#76 ·
Holy crap...that thing is huge. I want my keys to be as light as possible.

Since the RAV is my wife's, I stopped carrying the key with the remote built in and just carry the "valet key" instead.

I guess everyone wants something different, but I wouldn't want to carry around all of that extra weight in my pocket. I guess I'm missing why something that is larger and heavier, yet no more functional, is desirable :shrug:

#77 ·
I bought the flip key from eBay.

I tried calling around and asking for locksmiths that can cut the key based on my tag code. They were saying that I need a blank with the g stamp on it. The key blank from eBay doesn't have one. Would this be an issue? What is the g stamp for?

#78 ·
Go on eBay and search for " Toyota G Key" it's for Toyota's from 2010 to current. They have a new transponder chip inside.

#82 ·
ok, so from what I'm gathering, as long as the key blank is cut to specifications, it should be fine.

Once I have the key blank cut, I just need to buy a new transponder, and immobilizer. To get a complete key.

Then the next step is to program it with techstream or bring it to a locksmith.

Am I correct so far?

So, for transponder, I need to buy the G stamped used keys to get the transponder...

How about the immobilizers? I have the 2012 RAV4 Sport V6 AWD. What do I look for to get the right chip?

#84 ·
You do not buy a separate immobilizer. That is a function of the computer that you are programing with the TechStream. You do need the security chip (transponder). I don't know if you can use a chip that was previously used in a different car.

#85 ·
You are using the wrong terminology. The transponder chip and immobilizer chip are two names for the same thing. What you need is a "G" type chip and a keyless remote transmitter with the same FCC ID code as the one you now have. That, and a correctly cut key blade and you're all set. And yes, a used chip can easily be programmed to your car.

#87 ·
Thanks!

This clears up a bit.

So... I should go online, ebay, and look for a used key with FCCID: HYQ12BDC

and it will have all the parts I need to move it into the flip key.

then I used techstream to add the key to the RAV4 for it to be recognized.

Just trying to make sure before I go and buy stuff.

#91 ·
I'm in Junebug ! :) I just ordered one from China as well for $13.54 Canadian funds....
Thanks to everyone for the idea and great write ups !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.