"helicopter" Noise - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
"helicopter" Noise

Hi!
New to forum.
My RAV4 has the "helicopter" air pulsing that many cars have but mine is intolerable. For those that don't know what I'm talking about it's when you lower the back windows and at higher speed (maybe over 40mph) and there is a chest thumping aerodynamic pulse that hurts your ears.
I KNOW that if you open the front windows this will help or even resolve the issue but I keep the back windows down for my dogs and in cold weather I don't want to keep the front windows down. I installed the window and sunroof deflectors and it did not help. I know there's probably no resolution but I figured I'd ask
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophobe View Post
Hi!
New to forum.
My RAV4 has the "helicopter" air pulsing that many cars have but mine is intolerable. For those that don't know what I'm talking about it's when you lower the back windows and at higher speed (maybe over 40mph) and there is a chest thumping aerodynamic pulse that hurts your ears.
I KNOW that if you open the front windows this will help or even resolve the issue but I keep the back windows down for my dogs and in cold weather I don't want to keep the front windows down. I installed the window and sunroof deflectors and it did not help. I know there's probably no resolution but I figured I'd ask
Thanks
That noise can be created in any vehicle. It can often be reduced by opening the window a different amount ( more or less) or by opening other windows on the vehicle at the same time to release some of the pressure. All you can really do is experiment with all the window openings until you're happy.

Since you have a sunroof, you might be interested in this tidbit. If you press the "open" button once, the roof will open about 80% of the way. You can open it further if you press and hold the "open" button a second time. What you will notice is the "helicopter" sound when the moonroof is opened 100% of the way. This is just another example showing that the amount of the opening can have an effect on the noise.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
#3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 PM

Usually, if you just crack the front windows 1/2 inch or so, it will mostly go away.

2007 Red Limited V6 4WD
w/ Tow package
#4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

I had that type of noise when I took delivery of my RAV from the dealership. I discovered that the nicompoops that did the delivery servicing installed the oem roof rack horizontal bars backwards. Duh! It did not take long to reinstall them. Check the top of the bars. They have a directional arrow that should be pointing forward if installed correctly.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page