Drag race (sorta): Rav4 vs. Corvette - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar View Post
Too bad you didn't get this on video. I would of liked to see it.
If we repeat this, I'll video it, at least from the interior of the Vette.

By the way, most stock Vettes run a 60 foot time in the high 1's (like 1.9X) to low 2's (2.0x) in optimum conditions with the OEM tires, due to traction limitations. On bad track prep or with a bad launch, times are often in the 2.2X to 2.3X range. The members here who have run do consistent 60 foot times in the 2.2x range, so even in the dry, it's a close race across the intersection without a sure winner.

Interesting to think that the V6 AWD Rav would lay waste to the majority of muscle cars from the 60's.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Nice! Yeah this is why I totally can't get even the least bit excited about any of the 260-300hp FWD cars out now. If it's dry you'll likely have tons of torque steer and not be having much fun, and if it's wet you won't even be able to get on it until 3rd gear and again not having fun. AWD is great!

My Bimmer has 225mm rear tires and is 4000lbs, and you still have to tip-toe a bit with it in the wet. The turbo lag helps make takeoffs smooth though. I can only imagine how bad it must be in a Vette that's 1000 lbs lighter, has way more instantly responding naturally aspirated torque, and much larger tires. If it's raining out I'd rather just take the Highlander or the RAV4.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Steve, I've been having huge problems in the rain. The tires on there are Goodyear GS-2's that are seven or eight year old technology. They're horrid when it's cold, noisy, and just don't evacuate water well even though the directional tread pattern looks like it should. The worst is the ruts that develop from studded tire use (yes, Washington state still allows studded tires from November through April, darn it). They fill up with water and then any lane change on the freeway means driving over a foot wide divot with up to an inch of water in it.

It's possible if I slow down, but then I'm going 10-15 MPH slower than other cars on the road, and that makes me a hazard. So, I'm trying to go the same route as I did with our BMW and get some narrower rims to downsize tires. Looks like 225/45-18 will work up front, with 235/50-18 in the back. 20 mm narrower up front, 50 mm narrower in back. Avid Envigors come in those sizes! Now, just to decide (or really convince the missus) that spending $1200 on a set of winter wheels is a good idea.

I can almost her hear say "Bus it. . ."

1996 BMW 328i - Son's

#14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Try going old school and throwing a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk.

I'm guessing the tread pattern and water channeling ability is probably fine, but just not nearly enough ground pressure on the back end to make it effective resulting in tire lift-off and hydroplaning, and white knuckles. lol Corvette engineers obviously didn't give a flying you know what about trying to optimize wet weather characteristics. I seem to recall that the Holden Monaro/Commodore or whatever it was aka Pontiac GTO with the LS1/LS2 came with 225mm rear tires as standard.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm am sure the engineers had wet weather performance as a pretty low priority. Too many, WAY too many, Corvette owners treat their cars like garage queens, which makes no sense as this is not a megabuck exotic. Anyway, my vehicle weighed 3234 pounds as it exited the factory line, perfect for high performance, terrible for wet weather.

By the way, the rated load capacity is only 435 pounds. A couple of hundred pounds of sandbags and myself in the vehicle and I wouldn't even be allowed legally to carry a Slurpee.

1996 BMW 328i - Son's

#16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

#17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
SB, I remember seeing that video before. It's not hard to imagine that happening. The traction control and active handling are designed with fairly high thresholds, the traction control especially. With a fairly high lockup LSD, the traction control will allow both tires to spin pretty significantly without activating.

I'd bet the active handling saved that guy's butt. He did the absolute wrong thing by first trying to goose it, and then the major panic stab at the brakes.

The girl driver handled the situation more smoothly than the Vette driver. . .

1996 BMW 328i - Son's

#18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Well even if you can only put 100-200 lbs over the rear axle, any little bit will help and be noticeable especially with how light the car is. Different tires with taller tread height and wider/deeper channels would help too, but then there goes your dry handling.
#19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Here is what my friend Jack does down in the Florida Keys with his Vette when he is not taking tourist fishing Capt. Jack Backus Fishme.com Corvette Z06

He always stresses that he is not racing, he says he is "taking high performance driving lessons." Yah, right!

The plates on his Vette say "FISH4LAPS", which means he takes people fishing for laps at the track

If anyone ever goes down to the Keys, I recommend him wholeheartedly as an expert fishing guide, guaranteed you will catch fish! If you are like me, you will even learn that you have been fishing wrong your whole life

2011 RAV4 SPORT V6 AWD

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
#20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Hell, I beat some guy in an '80's 'Vette in the dry. I've stripped all the badges off except the small red V6 in the grill. I surprise a LOT of people with that thing, even in the dry. Love it!

The most interesting race like that I had was in my old 2000 4.7L RWD Dakota Quad Cab vs. some guy in a Civic or Accord......in Cleveland.....in the snow. We were both spinning, I just think the power/tq won it for me. If it was dry, I'd have smoked him.

......Hangin's too good for him, BURNIN'S too good for him.......he should be torn into itty bitty pieces and BURIED ALIVE!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page