FIAMM Horn Upgrade - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
FIAMM Horn Upgrade

This is the best $25 I have spent on the Rav so far. Picked up the horns at Amazon.com for just under $10 each, plus shipping. I used the stock brackets and wire harness, plug and play. I had to cut the wire harness tie down to gain a little extra wire length because I wanted to horn openings to point down. That required the connections to to be at the 2 o'clock position when facing the Rav. Also, the horns are a lot larger than stock, so I had to twist the inboard horn bracket to keep the horn from riding against the grill. Just take off the upper radiator support brackets and you will have plenty of room to get the job done.

Here is a little video to show the difference in the horns. Rav4 FIAMM Horn Upgrade - YouTube

2011 RAV4 SPORT V6 AWD

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

Last edited by Deanjet; 10-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

NO WAY! That video makes the stock horn sound like a toy. Yes they are your basic Jap horns, but not that bad. BTW, I would think you can run down to any "pick-a-part" and get any American car horn to fit in there. Maybe even cheaper.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,143 Times in 826 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav408 View Post
NO WAY! That video makes the stock horn sound like a toy. Yes they are your basic Jap horns, but not that bad. BTW, I would think you can run down to any "pick-a-part" and get any American car horn to fit in there. Maybe even cheaper.
The stock horns DO sound like a toy! The FIAMM's are American made, at least mine are. Even the 2011 Highlander has these kiddy-car horns!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav408 View Post
NO WAY! That video makes the stock horn sound like a toy.
My horn did sound like a kiddy toy! The other day I honked at a little girl on a tricycle in the street to get her attention. She stopped dead in her tracks, pointed, and laughed . Just joking, but I could picture it happening with the stock horns.

2011 RAV4 SPORT V6 AWD

#5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjet View Post
...Just take off the upper radiator support brackets and you will have plenty of room to get the job done....
From your signature, it looks like you have a 2011. How hard was it to remove the upper radiator support brackets?

Replacing my horns has been one of my "round tuit" projects for over a year. Look at this thread -> Horn replacement for 2010 RAV4?

I still would want the Toyota Camry/Premium horns as they would be a plug and play fitment. Some here have reported that the larger horns start rubbing against the A/C condenser.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
How hard was it to remove the upper radiator support brackets? ....
Some here have reported that the larger horns start rubbing against the A/C condenser.
The 2 upper radiator support brackets come off very easy, one bolt holds each bracket/isolator in place. You just remove the black plastic shroud over the radiator by pushing the center button of the 8 or 10 plastic rivets in (thank you for the tip "Rav408") and then lift the rivets out. Then remove the 2 bolts holding the radiator brackets on and then the radiator will move back with ease.

I have plenty of clearance between the horn and A/C condenser.

2011 RAV4 SPORT V6 AWD

#7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

I honestly don't know how my RAV4 horn sounds - I've never had to use it! If the sound is the same as the annoying "beep" which sounds whenever I use the remote locking/unlocking, it is really anemic. If I were to replace it I probably would go with Wolo Bad Boy compact air horns if the stock wiring and horn activator switch could cope with them. I installed a Wolo Bad Boy on my motorcycle (relay and heavier wiring needed) and it's pretty loud - have only used to to test it.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
... If I were to replace it I probably would go with Wolo Bad Boy compact air horns if the stock wiring and horn activator switch could cope with them. I installed a Wolo Bad Boy on my motorcycle (relay and heavier wiring needed) and it's pretty loud - have only used to to test it.
I almost went with a Wolo Bad Boy, but on various forums I see that it has reliability issues after a year or so. I went with a conventional type horn due to living in a very rainy, salty and high humidity environment. It' s a constant battle were I live to keep things from corroding. Prepping steel in South Florida for paint is a real pain in the butt, ever hear of flash rusting? In most places it can occur over night (or never if you live in the Mojave Desert), where I live it happens in seconds!

2011 RAV4 SPORT V6 AWD

#9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjet View Post
I almost went with a Wolo Bad Boy, but on various forums I see that it has reliability issues after a year or so. I went with a conventional type horn due to living in a very rainy, salty and high humidity environment. It' s a constant battle were I live to keep things from corroding. Prepping steel in South Florida for paint is a real pain in the butt, ever hear of flash rusting? In most places it can occur over night (or never if you live in the Mojave Desert), where I live it happens in seconds!
Interesting report. My experience has been the opposite - I can hardly think of a more harsh environment for a horn than on a motorcycle. My Wolo Bad Boy is on the crash bar, in the open and facing forward toward the direction rain and road splash come from. We live on the Oregon coast - 80-100 inches of rain each year, lots of salt with the fog and spray we get from the sea. I've had it for four years, and it still works as when new. On the motorcycle forums I'm on, quite a few bikers have installed it or the Stebel - the same horns under different names, and so far I haven't seen more than a few complaints.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord

Last edited by Blogson; 10-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blogson For This Useful Post:
WJBertrand (02-06-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 PM

did you use dual freeway blasters ? or the high and low tone fiamm horns ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page