First impression in snow....not impressed - Page 12 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#111 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghepburn View Post
2012 I4 4WD. Love it. My question is . . . the manual says put the chains on the front. Is this because of the modern version of their FWD/4WD? I'll buy 2 sets if I need them, but in Arkansas we only need them a few times out of the year.
Correct, the front wheels are powered full time, the rears only when needed and then only up to 25-35 mph.
But then I can't imagine needing chains to get thru any snow other cars can. I had to go find a foot of unplowed snow to purposely get mine stuck. Stopping and steering at near highway speeds is where the danger is with stock tires. Then snow tires not chains are the solution.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#112 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hi, first off all RAV4 is not a rally car and for winter use winter tires studded or not (depending the legislation in your country) after that use'it as a normal driver in safety and you will be pleased by your familly. Happy new year! too all around the world.
#113 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM

With good all weathers I can guarantee you will get stuck in less then 12" of sno, I did in 4wd lock.
#114 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Correct, the front wheels are powered full time, the rears only when needed and then only up to 25-35 mph.
The only "up to 25-35mph" occurs when the 4x4 button is used and after that Power to the rear wheels will be provided at highway speeds if the front wheels slip for some reason or another.

4ever

2013 LIMITED

Old Age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. (Chinese proverb)
#115 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilobite02 View Post
Live in the northeast, in CT. First opportunity yesterday to drive my RAV V6 Limited in the snow, one month old set of Blizzaks mounted. With the stock all seasons during an earlier fall storm, it was terrible. The Blizzaks definitely improve things drastically, but still find this vehicle does not measure up to the inclement weather performance of my former CR-V, or my wife's Outback-maybe the greater curb weight? In particular, I noticed braking to be an issue-the thing just wanted to lock up and slide. Maybe have to learn a lighter foot with this one, initial touchiness to mirror the overly sensitive throttle tip in? It seemed that when the ABS kicks in, it doesn't cycle fast enough. Once you're locked and sliding, you're done-physics take over.

Tried gearing it down, engaging the diff. lock, and the DAC button. The RAV just seems to want to gain momentum. (DAC will not engage if you have your foot on either the brake or accelerator. Wha? So as you roll over the top of a steep incline, you need to lift your foot off both, with a Hail Mary push of the button?). As far as experience in the snow, I'm no neophyte; with past vehicles, I'm usually the one making progress through the blizzards, while others are stuck and spinning. The CR-V was very good-very communicative and light on its feet, providing excellent control. The Outback is well night unstoppable-best AWD in the biz with maybe the exception of Audi. Curious vehicle this RAV-maybe I just need to learn its idiosyncracies.
Could be. The touchy throttle might be the main problem; after 5 years I still hate it even though I have gotten used to driving like there is an egg between my foot and the accelerator.

I find my RAV4 to be very sure-footed in the snow, even with the stock Yoko all-seasons. I just got new tires last October, and because I had done so well with the all-seasons I got a set of Continental Cross-Contact all-seasons, and they have done very well too. I zip by most traffic that is struggling for traction.

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#116 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Anyone that thinks the Rav4 is lousy in the snow has obviously never driven a rear wheel drive car without snow tires during the winter.
#117 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM

We have an 08 Rav4 Sport V6. We had a 99 CR-V before. The CR-V NEVER slid around in snow and ice. The RAV absolutley SUCKS in ice. I mean sucks. We live in Montana and have never put snow tires on our suv's and Toyota trucks. Last night coming home on glare ice, I was slowed down to 30 mph and was still feeling slip, while other vehicles were passing me. In my opinion Toyota is going to ****. My 08 Tacoma is no where near as good at handling either, compared to our 98 Tacoma.

Last edited by Wheresmikeys; 01-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
#118 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 AM

Driving in snow is 99% about what tires you have, and not even all season vs. snow tires. There is a huge difference in different brands. I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8turbo that I can't move an inch in snow with my all seasons. A coworker loves his Jetta, same year and engine, and he has a different brand all season. I question what tires you had on the CRV vs. the Rav4 and what you had on the 98 Tacoma vs. the newer Tacoma.

Drive no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 LTD
2003 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T
#119 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Driving in snow is 99% about what tires you have, and not even all season vs. snow tires. There is a huge difference in different brands. I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8turbo that I can't move an inch in snow with my all seasons. A coworker loves his Jetta, same year and engine, and he has a different brand all season. I question what tires you had on the CRV vs. the Rav4 and what you had on the 98 Tacoma vs. the newer Tacoma.
I have used a few different brand/model tires over the years on the vehicles, but they are always in the same class of tires.
#120 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheresmikeys View Post
I have used a few different brand/model tires over the years on the vehicles, but they are always in the same class of tires.
There you go, as I said, even in the same class of tires, different brands and different models have drastic different performance.

Example, you buy a car and it has a nice set of all-season Michelins on it. They perform great. Great road handling and great in wet conditions. You find that they are half decent in the snow. Then upon replacing them when they wear, you find out they are $189 a piece. The shop has Tiger Paw (Uniroyal) all-seasons and the shop recommends those and it seems everyone else is running them. They are $89 each and that is why everyone is running them. Then during the first rain, you spin and hydroplane like crazy. When the snow starts flying, you suddenly are sliding all over the place.

Both are all-season tires, or same exact class of tire. Drastically different performance though.

As I said, a coworker has the same car as I do, a 2003 Jetta with the 1.8L turbo. It is a torque monster. We both have just normal every day all-season tires but different brands. He loves his. I can't even drive in the rain as I will spin the whole way down the road just driving in 5th gear at the speed limit. My traction control is going crazy with the tires I have. When the snow flies, I guess I can call it a good thing because I won't even move (again, coworker says his goes great in the snow.)

I call it a good thing because then I get to jump in the wife's Rav4 to go to work without a problem. (The biggest benefit is.... the Rav4 has heat, takes my car 15 miles of the 20 mile trip to get heat, LOL.)

Drive no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 LTD
2003 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page