Very expensive to replace the key/remote - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Very expensive to replace the key/remote

One of the two keys to our 2006 RAV4 had been showing some wear for a while. When we picked it up from the dealer after a recent service, there was a circular hole in the middle of the Lock button. I went back to the dealer today, explaining that while the key had some where, it was perfectly functional when we dropped off the vehicle and now isn't. They agreed to split the cost of a replacement. I was then shocked to find that a replacement key costs $440, so even at 50%, it will cost us $220!

Anyone here know if that $440 price is real, or did they quote me an elevated figure so that they could still make money when I pay them the "50%?"

JeffP25
2006 RAV4 LE V6 4WD
2008 Subaru WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Check your local Ace Hardware. Seriously.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Actually, I happend to go there today - around $80 for a replacement "smart" key, BUT it lacks the remote buttons, and it's those that have failed on the key we have.

JeffP25
2006 RAV4 LE V6 4WD
2008 Subaru WRX
#4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Check out eBay

I just checked and saw the the std keys (new uncut with remote) going for about $40. I've previously used eBay for Lexus and Ford keys/ remotes. The mfg prices for these things are just plain obscene! A key costing almost as much as an iPad? Please! This is also why I refuse to buy a factory GPS. Lexus wants something like $350 for a map update!
#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,109 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post
One of the two keys to our 2006 RAV4 had been showing some wear for a while. When we picked it up from the dealer after a recent service, there was a circular hole in the middle of the Lock button. I went back to the dealer today, explaining that while the key had some where, it was perfectly functional when we dropped off the vehicle and now isn't. They agreed to split the cost of a replacement. I was then shocked to find that a replacement key costs $440, so even at 50%, it will cost us $220!

Anyone here know if that $440 price is real, or did they quote me an elevated figure so that they could still make money when I pay them the "50%?"
Jeff, if you have the old membrane keys like this:

You need to replace it with the new style like this:

You can find these blank keys with an empty shell on Ebay for reasonable prices. All you need to do is have the key cut at any locksmith or hardware store and then transfer the remote module from your old key to the new one. Yes, the old membrane module works fine with the new button style key. If your key has a transponder chip, you need to swap that over as well. Here's a couple of examples on Ebay for under $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270775326784

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120657324633

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the links. I went ahead and ordered two from the first of the two links - a total of $18, and I should have them next week.

Still, I would like to get confirmation on whether the $440 price quote from the dealer was real, or an elevated price so that they could still make money from me if they charged me "50%."

JeffP25
2006 RAV4 LE V6 4WD
2008 Subaru WRX
#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the links. I went ahead and ordered two from the first of the two links - a total of $18, and I should have them next week.

Still, I would like to get confirmation on whether the $440 price quote from the dealer was real, or an elevated price so that they could still make money from me if they charged me "50%."
I changed both of our 2006 keys over to the button style from eBay. The two issues you may have are moving the chip if you have the immobilizer type and getting the key cut. One of the "kids" at ACE cut my walk-in key after I said I'd take responsibility if they ruined it. After they finished one of the bosses came by and told then NEVER to do that again.

As for the $440, I don't know and really don't care. I just figure that's for the same folks who take their cars to the dealer for every little thing and just put it on their credit card. You know, the kind who think you get what you pay for.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Garage
Jeff, the $440 sounds ridiculous, even for a dealer. That sounds higher than the smart key for the push button start. The only way to be sure if they were gouging would be to find out how much others have paid at their dealer.

As for getting the new keys cut, don't go to Wal-mart, Home Depot or the kid at the hardware store. Drive the extra mile or two and go to a locksmith shop. I brought my flip key to be cut by a locksmith and he took his time and did it perfectly. Charged me 2 bucks!

James

#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Garage
Quote:

Wait a minute, Jeff--did you check to see if the key was covered by your extended warranty? I don't remember if the keys/remotes are excluded or not.

Edit: I just checked and with the Platinum extended warranty the "Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder and Key Set" are indeed covered. I see no exclusions for remotes.

James

#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM

JuneBug,

Hi! New to the forum... I ordered that flip key you had from China, had a local locksmith cut it, key fit the door and ignition. Got home, opened up the original remote and transfered the remote module... Did not find the immobilizer chip in the original remote which was great. So, put everything together in the flip key, remote works, key fits but it would not turn to start the RAV. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page