2GR-FEV6 LSC90K (recall) oil line fails-Dealer won't cover damages - WARNING - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow my mom has a newer Venza with 44,000 miles and I am pretty sure its the very same 2GR-FE, I will have to go look at it the oil line in the morning and sort of expect to see rubber.

On the road in my Rav4 since February, Traveling, Volunteering, Camping and also enjoying beer bikes and bacon. Check out the blog www.servicedriven.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,142 Times in 825 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerJay View Post
Wow my mom has a newer Venza with 44,000 miles and I am pretty sure its the very same 2GR-FE, I will have to go look at it the oil line in the morning and sort of expect to see rubber.
Don't worry, the Venza didn't appear well after until after the oil line was changed to all metal in April of 2008.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Another item to add to my list of things to check more often on our 2006 V6.

Erwin...
#34 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Garage
Here are some pictures of the old and new oil pipe design:

James

#35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM

I just had a failure of this hose, it is the original hose on a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 V6. I cannot believe this happened. I have over 100,000 miles and the vehicle has been wonderful up to this point.

I worked the night of 1/11/13, and noticed an oil puddle in my driveway when I got home the morning of 1/12/13. I think my only saving grace is I live in Seattle and the night this happened the temps were in the mid-20's. I drove 50 miles without any warning lights whatsoever. How is that even possible? I work for a living as a marine engineer, alarm and monitoring is what I get paid for. How could a car not have a "Low PSI or Low L.O. indicator" after a catastrophic failure?

So now I have to contact Toyota and I'm terrified by these stories I've read here. Is there any advice one can give me?

I will definitely keep you guys updated with how this turns out.
#36 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davshavu View Post
I worked the night of 1/11/13, and noticed an oil puddle in my driveway when I got home the morning of 1/12/13. I think my only saving grace is I live in Seattle and the night this happened the temps were in the mid-20's. I drove 50 miles without any warning lights whatsoever. How is that even possible? I work for a living as a marine engineer, alarm and monitoring is what I get paid for. How could a car not have a "Low PSI or Low L.O. indicator" after a catastrophic failure?
I can think of two possibilities:
  1. You did not completely run out of oil, and you were fortunate in the time, manner and place of failure.
  2. The oil pressure sensor or light is bad. See if the light goes on when you turn on the ignition. Do not attempt to start, of course.
Quality problem with V6 engine in RAV4, Camry, Lexus... [oil hose failing] is the link for the big thread now. Links to older threads got broken. My roadmap of that thread on post #26 of this thread may still be of use.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-...nt-2gr-fe.html is the TSB.

I would register at http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home and see if the recall was already performed. "This Limited Service Campaign will be available at no charge to the vehicle owners until March 31, 2013."

2009 V6 4wd Base
#37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Thank You Carbon,

So yes on Wednesday 1/16/13 I called Magic Toyota of Edmonds Washington and informed them of my oil line failure. The service department manager understood my dilemma, gave me a tow truck companies name and within an hour my car was on a flatbed heading for the service department at Magic Toyota.

Once there I met the manager, Khing is his name and he assured me they would double check my oil level, look over the engine and complete all outstanding TSB's and recall work. I was given a 2012 loaner RAV 4 to drive home until the work was finished.

Today, Friday 1/18/13 at 11:00 AM I was called and told my Rav 4 was ready, I picked it up and all of the TSB's and recall jobs were performed as well as a new floor mat, engine cleaning and car wash. They said that there was over 2 quarts of oil left in my sump, you'd think that low of a level would light up the low oil light, but it didn't in my case.

I took the car out for a shake down cruise, freeways, hills and stop at Costco. I'm thrilled. It is running excellent and sounds great. I was lucky that the temps were low and I use high quality synthetic blend lubricants.

I could not be happier with Toyota's response. They were all over my vehicle, apologetic and even gave me coupons for a free future car-wash and oil change.

All of this for a car with 111,000 miles on it and over 5 years old. Total cost, $0.00

Thanks guys for being here! I've been lurking around, this is a super cool site with excellent info.
#38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Garage
Sounds like Magic Toyota is a really good dealer to do business with. My local dealer has been equally helpful. One thing to keep in mind, though: If they performed the TSB to the letter they replaced the old rubber hose with a new "improved" rubber hose. Some have reported that the new hose isn't much better and some have failed. Many V6 owners here have opted to replace the hose with the all-metal oil pipe that started being used on the assembly line in April of '08. The part is not very expensive and any good mechanic can change it out. That way you won't have to worry about that problem ever happening again.

James

#39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Sounds like Magic Toyota is a really good dealer to do business with. My local dealer has been equally helpful. One thing to keep in mind, though: If they performed the TSB to the letter they replaced the old rubber hose with a new "improved" rubber hose. Some have reported that the new hose isn't much better and some have failed. Many V6 owners here have opted to replace the hose with the all-metal oil pipe that started being used on the assembly line in April of '08. The part is not very expensive and any good mechanic can change it out. That way you won't have to worry about that problem ever happening again.
I'll check it first thing in the morning. If it is indeed the mid-level part tubing part rubber hose I will have it changed out. I read somewhere in these forums if a person has minimal mechanical skills this would be an hour or less to swap out. If that is so I can do it! I don't think Magic Toyota did use the half and half part, but one can never be too sure. They seemed to realize right from the start that this was important not only for me but for the sake of their survival too.

Anyway I will post again tomorrow and tell what hose replacement I got.
#40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davshavu View Post
Anyway I will post again tomorrow and tell what hose replacement I got.
Please let us know. Look on the invoice and see if they installed Oil Hose Kit 04009-33131. This 2008 Highlander owner had that kit installed and the new and improved hose failed after about 2 years:

Warning! 2008 highlander oil leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page