Do you think it really looks like a 6 year old design? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do you think it really looks like a 6 year old design?

I'm a reluctant SUV buyer to begin with -- I've always driven sedans and I like the feel. But I carry guitar equipment that eliminates a lot of them. My current Mazda 6 worked, but with little room to spare, and many current designs won't work due to gooseneck hinges or not enough depth. So the small SUV search began, and the RAV4 is near the top of the list.

Here's my question. We all know the Rav4 is an old design at 6 years now. And that a new design should come out for the next model year, perhaps as soon as this summer. And of course that a new Escape is coming and a new CR-V is here (though disappointing). In many respects, buying a Rav4 right now seems like it'd be the wrong decision. Yet I look at it, and if I didn't know it was a 6 year old design, I'm not sure I'd think it was that old. It seems to hold up relatively well, even if the spare tire design is out of fashion and its lines aren't quite as sleek as some competitors. The interior isn't the nicest I've seen, but it isn't as cheap or dated looking as some of the reviews would have me believe. I do still worry somewhat though that it'll look more and more dated in the 7-9 years I'd typically plan to keep a car. Granted, I could always trade it in early, but what do you all think? Will today's Rav4 still look attractive in 2018?

I should add that I'm a single 31YO guy, and while I do like sleek lines in a car (I love the Sonata's look, for example), I'm not at all in the soccer mom category that some of these cars seem to be aimed at (I'm looking at you, CR-V...I know what a "conversation mirror" is intended for). If anything, the Rav's spare tire and slightly more boxy look seem to make it look a little more "manly." I've also been waiting for the right new car for awhile, and while I could wait a little longer to see what the new Escape looks like, or the new Rav4, I don't want to play that game forever. So while I have some hesitations about the design, I still find myself thinking that moving forward, even with an old design, may be the way to go. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Drive the six cylinder just once and you won't give a damn what it looks like. I think it already looks dated and never really thought it was a particularly good looking car. Having said that we own TWO, both V-6. The practicality and versatility of the machine far outweigh any perceived negatives about how cool you'll look in it in 7-9 years.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

what he said ^^

the looks might actually grow on you, like it did with me!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Drive the six cylinder just once and you won't give a damn what it looks like. I think it already looks dated and never really thought it was a particularly good looking car. Having said that we own TWO, both V-6. The practicality and versatility of the machine far outweigh any perceived negatives about how cool you'll look in it in 7-9 years.
Well said

4ever

2013 LIMITED

Old Age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. (Chinese proverb)
#5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

The new design should follow Toyota's Truck front end look and a bit more aggressive but seriously this car is still a chick's car. I have no illusion it's anything else in my eyes but it's not so girly (like the Beetle or VW Jetta Cabriolet) that I refuse to drive it.

As for 6 year old design, it's better than 1st year design because all the flaws have been worked out. If you can wait, usually new model year comes out around Sept where you can snag a good deal on 2012 leftovers or get the new 2013 if it's to your liking.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 PM

BKRodgers,

I also carry guitars and amps to gigs on the weekend and the Rav4 is great for those large tube amps and such. Lots of room for gear.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I have test driven the V6, and if I do the Rav4, I think that's the way to go. I'm used to a V6 in a sedan, and while I've thought about going to an i4 to save on fuel, I think I'd miss it too much, especially on an SUV. Both the engine itself and the 5 speed transmission seem to make it much more refined and fun to drive. Yes, I'm sure the X3 drives better, but it costs a few bucks more too.

I will have to get used to SUV handling with it though. I punched it coming off an exit ramp stop light, aiming for the inner one of the two lanes to get back on the highway going the other way. I felt like it was going to go airborne, and ended up in the outer turn lane. Luckily nobody was there (I was watching before I tried it), and the sales guy wasn't with me on the test drive.

I really do find myself torn -- both ways -- on the design even today, which is why I worry about how I'll feel down the road. Some days I look at it and say that I like it and can see myself driving it. Other days, I'm convinced it's not right for me. There's still a big part of me that hasn't accepted the idea of driving any SUV as a single guy though, and it's hard to separate that feeling from any feelings specific to the Rav4.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
I'm a reluctant SUV buyer to begin with -- I've always driven sedans and I like the feel. But I carry guitar equipment that eliminates a lot of them. My current Mazda 6 worked, but with little room to spare, and many current designs won't work due to gooseneck hinges or not enough depth. So the small SUV search began, and the RAV4 is near the top of the list.

Here's my question. We all know the Rav4 is an old design at 6 years now. And that a new design should come out for the next model year, perhaps as soon as this summer. And of course that a new Escape is coming and a new CR-V is here (though disappointing). In many respects, buying a Rav4 right now seems like it'd be the wrong decision. Yet I look at it, and if I didn't know it was a 6 year old design, I'm not sure I'd think it was that old. It seems to hold up relatively well, even if the spare tire design is out of fashion and its lines aren't quite as sleek as some competitors. The interior isn't the nicest I've seen, but it isn't as cheap or dated looking as some of the reviews would have me believe. I do still worry somewhat though that it'll look more and more dated in the 7-9 years I'd typically plan to keep a car. Granted, I could always trade it in early, but what do you all think? Will today's Rav4 still look attractive in 2018?

I should add that I'm a single 31YO guy, and while I do like sleek lines in a car (I love the Sonata's look, for example), I'm not at all in the soccer mom category that some of these cars seem to be aimed at (I'm looking at you, CR-V...I know what a "conversation mirror" is intended for). If anything, the Rav's spare tire and slightly more boxy look seem to make it look a little more "manly." I've also been waiting for the right new car for awhile, and while I could wait a little longer to see what the new Escape looks like, or the new Rav4, I don't want to play that game forever. So while I have some hesitations about the design, I still find myself thinking that moving forward, even with an old design, may be the way to go. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
be honest with you, if new design comes out they will be very hard to get parts or you will have to buy off dealer for their sky high price. as our 4.3, parts is everywhere. that is why I bought mine last dec, I look forward on parts availiable on the markets, yes new design, but who knows how well they design on that model? maybe tons of TSB(Toyota Service Bulletin) and maybe even Recall.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaander View Post
be honest with you, if new design comes out they will be very hard to get parts or you will have to buy off dealer for their sky high price. as our 4.3, parts is everywhere. that is why I bought mine last dec, I look forward on parts availiable on the markets, yes new design, but who knows how well they design on that model? maybe tons of TSB(Toyota Service Bulletin) and maybe even Recall.
This certainly is true. I experienced this with my 2003 Mazda6, with ECU bugs and things that they just didn't quite get right and wouldn't fix until later model years. I would not rule out getting a first model year in the future, but it is something I consider. My preference would be to get something ~2 years into it's cycle though, and right now it seems like most everything I'm looking at is either a fresh redesign or due for one.

I still think a lot of the older designs hold up reasonably well, including the rav, but there are quite a few interesting vehicles arriving in the next year (Escape, Fusion, new Rav). I don't think I want to wait for much more than a few more months though, and even waiting that long would mean being an early adopter again.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
This certainly is true. I experienced this with my 2003 Mazda6, with ECU bugs and things that they just didn't quite get right and wouldn't fix until later model years. I would not rule out getting a first model year in the future, but it is something I consider. My preference would be to get something ~2 years into it's cycle though, and right now it seems like most everything I'm looking at is either a fresh redesign or due for one.

I still think a lot of the older designs hold upeasonably well, including the rav, but there are quite a few interesting vehicles arriving in the next year (Escape, Fusion, new Rav). I don't think I want to wait for much more than a few more months though, and even waiting that long would mean being an early adopter again.
If you like the V6 you also might want to consider the fact that it will likely disappear after the 2012 model year.

2011 Black V6 Limited 2WD
Named (with much input from the kids)
VADER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page