2012 model back up camera help - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2012 model back up camera help

just bought a rav4 for my wife.. looking to get a back up camera set up for her to assist her in parking. dealership quote me 600 total installed.

questions:
1.is there a website that sell oem backup camera with prices on it?

2.most ebay listed china made backup camera are up to 2011, is the 2012 model same as the 2011 model?

3. i checked my licence plate area looks like it only has 1 led just above the center of the plate and to the right o theres a plastic looking cover, im thinking it might be where the factory camera goes. ( does any company make the camera that fit the factory location? )

4. i remember saw it somewhere but cant find it now the name of the company who make the auto dimming mirror with back up monitor for toyota.
if anyone know please help me out.

sorry for being a new member already asking so many questions

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,089 Times in 788 Posts
Garage
#3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM

2012 model back up camera help, continued

I'm in the same boat as stevenqdz. Just bought a new base RAV4 for the family car, and because it's base, it didn't have the backup camera.

I thought I could just get that added after the fact but it's been surprisingly difficult. The dealer told me the official RAV4 camera can only be installed at the factory and isn't available for the Base RAV4 anyway. The dealer wanted $1400 (!) to install an aftermarket solution. $1400 is just not in my reach. Still, as a parent, I'm pretty frightened of this car not having a backup camera after some of the horror stories I've read, and I feel like I absolutely have to get one for peace of mind.

I wanted to try to find the closest thing I can to the official factory installed solution, since I'm guessing that would be the most reliable.

It looks like the mirror / display that Toyota uses is made by Gentex.

Does anyone know what kind of camera and camera mount they use? Is there any way to buy that component? And would that fit in the base RAV4 or is it made to only fit in the more expensive trim levels?

Would someone who's reasonably technically astute be able to install a system like this? Or should I be phoning around other dealers to see if some other Toyota dealer in the Bay Area can do better than $1400?

Thank you for any leads!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

The problem with back up camera is night time lighting, I install mine and now I would have done a little more money on the camera. I kind of like this one NEW Car Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Toyota RAV4 | eBay

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtalk For This Useful Post:
siphonsiphon (05-02-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,089 Times in 788 Posts
Garage
Yes, siphon, that camera that dtalk recommends would be the way to go. It snaps in, replacing your existing license plate light, and it has infrared LED's so it works at night. The Gentex mirror is the one you want--you can often find them cheaper on Ebay. And you don't have to get one specifically made for the RAV4. As long as it's about the same size, and has the same mount, it should work fine.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
siphonsiphon (05-02-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks!

That looks great-- thank you to both dtalk and JuneBug for the super helpful information!

I think I'll just go for that camera, it looks good.

For the mirror, I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just getting the Gentex, even though it's a little pricier than I'd like. It looks like it's more likely that it (and the rather intimidating pile of wiring it appears to come with) are going to be compatible with the RAV4 without a lot of trips to an electronics store. It doesn't look like anybody has it cheaper on eBay right now, but maybe I'll be lucky in the next few days!

It surprised me that the camera is so cheap compared to the monitor. I somehow thought they'd be about equivalent in price.

From a bit of Googling, it appears that there are already a couple threads on rav4world about how to install a backup camera, which is great-- so I'll study those thoroughly and make sure it looks like something I'm up for.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice! Hopefully I'll get this right, stop biting my nails worrying about the safety, and avoid destroying the ceiling upholstery on my wife's new car in the process.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Hi siphon,
I am in the same boat - I have rav4 2012 with no camera and I really want to add one. The mirror looks exactly like the one I need. If you did go for it please post a status and some pics how did the installation go. I am also still looking for cameras, I'm not sure that the one posted here will fit the 2012 model, it looks a bit different.
Thanks!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 AM

Let me jump in guys in the conversation. I done the install on a 2010 Rav4 V6 I previously owned. I'm looking to see if I find the install pictures. I personally prefer the sensors. With the camera you look and they you go, in the rain is foggy or blurry or worse during the snow. With the sensors, you may have an issue with the snow but just dust the snow off with the hand and there you go. Just got a 2012 Impreza/Sport/W-leather hatchback for the wife, doesn't come with a camera. I immediately added the compass rear mirror($20) and added the rear sensors ($20 from Amazon). Works great and safety is big with my family. I done so many installs that I didn't need instructions on how to removed the rear Impreza bumper (I got pictures of the install if some one needs them). Any how, look into the rear sensors, cheap and easier install, IMO. Later,

SILVERBOY

CHICKS DON’T DIG DEAD GUYS

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenqdz View Post
just bought a rav4 for my wife.. looking to get a back up camera set up for her to assist her in parking. dealership quote me 600 total installed.

questions:
1.is there a website that sell oem backup camera with prices on it?

2.most ebay listed china made backup camera are up to 2011, is the 2012 model same as the 2011 model?

3. i checked my licence plate area looks like it only has 1 led just above the center of the plate and to the right o theres a plastic looking cover, im thinking it might be where the factory camera goes. ( does any company make the camera that fit the factory location? )

4. i remember saw it somewhere but cant find it now the name of the company who make the auto dimming mirror with back up monitor for toyota.
if anyone know please help me out.

sorry for being a new member already asking so many questions

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the mirror: latest auto parts of auto dimming motorcycle rear view mirror for Toyota/Nissan/Ford/Buick/Chevrolet/Mazda/lexus/Honda/kia.-in Interior Mirrors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Here is the back up camera: Car Rear View Reverse Backup Camera Toyota RAV4 RAV-4 | eBay

This is the cheapest you'll get and the best option imo. Enjoy

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 AM

Two questions, if you don't mind:
1. How much of the mirror is the camera display? (Small portion? Half? All?)

2. Any idea if that camera works on a 4.2?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page