Valero Gasoline - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Valero Gasoline

Over the last 5 tanks of fuel I noticed my gas mileage had dropped quite a bit. I always get 19-20 in town. Recently it has been way down in the 16-17 range with no change in driving habits over FIVE tanks of fuel. HMMM.

Recently my lawnmower started running just awful, I mean pitifully. Also Valero gasoline. I took the mower to a repair shop and he showed me the gas they removed from it when I went to get it. It looked like apple juice not gas.
That gas is less than two weeks old! Had it not been for the miserable mileage in the car I would have just called "bad batch" on this fuel. It's too much to be just a coincidence.

The shop owner told me that he has had a rash of lawnmowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, and other equipment come in recently with bad gas being the problem. He questioned the owners and it was Valero in every case.

Now you need to understand that there is a Valero station on every corner in this town (and surrounding cities) sometimes right across the street from each other. They own South Texas as far as gas stations.

The repair shop owner told me he has had problems with his own lawn equipment. He switched to Exxon or Shell and it cleared up. He used these brands in his pickumup truck and got +2 MPG. Sounds like there really is something to the "Top Tier" gasoline even though it's more expensive than the others.

I just poured the last of the lawnmower and 2 stroke mix into the RAV's gas tank and I'll fill the gas cans with Exxon or Shell this week.

I'm guessing this is a local problem. Valero also makes their own ethanol additive to the gasoline so maybe that's the problem but I'm only guessing. For now I'm going to Exxon or Shell. If my MPG goes back to where it was then I'll know positively that Valero is cutting corners in this market with their fuel.

It took a very short form to fill out and all of ten seconds after submitting to get an Exxon card online. Since we fill up about once a month what's another 80 cents (if that) for a tank of gas?

The lawnmower repair was $77.00! That will buy a crapload of better fuel so currently I am less than pleased with Valero gasoline. It has been just fine until the last 4-5 tanks. The point of this entire thread is just a heads up to others. If you are using Valero then try another major brand to see if your mileage improves.....I'm going to give it a go.

To be continued............

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's strange. No Valero's around here. I wonder what they do to make their gas act like that?

To The BlackMobile!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Down here the ONLY other gasoline stations available are Exxon and Shell and that's in a town of 163,000 people! That's a small town by Texas standards but hardly a "burg". Even then there are very few of them and you have to map them out to find them. I've no idea what Valero is doing but they $hit in their nest with me and we've been using them for years without any problems. it could just be a one time deal but I can't afford to take any chances. Of course I could get a bad tank from any station but the MPG drop (both cars) and the repair expense soured me on them.

Last edited by RTexasF; 05-09-2012 at 10:11 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Boyzky
I've had the same issue with my vehicles (Rav4 & Civic) here in northern California. Both seemed to have gotten less miles per gallon and the Civic's idling became rough and performance suffered. After a few tankfuls (both vehicles) the same issues lingered, so I decided to go back using Chevron. Surprisingly, the problems went away after a couple of tankfuls. I swear not to gas up at any Valero station again!!

Manny
2007 V6 Limited 2WD

Manny
#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Shell is what my Rav runs best with.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM

I agree with your assessment of 'discount' gas, but did you contact them? I would have called. My friend had a similar issue with a 7-11 store in the city I live in. The fuel was so bad, it ate his fuel pump. The company AGREED there was a rash of bad fuel and paid his repair bill. Im just sayin, you might have a chance of at least getting your $77 back. If you are like me, you might not have time to mess with it, but its a thought.

Sounds like the fuel has a bunch more ethanol in it.

2007 Red Limited V6 4WD
w/ Tow package
#7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM

Funny, I've also noticed a recent drop in mileage here, and I only buy has from HEB. I wonder if they get their fuel from Valerie?

2011 Black V6 Limited 2WD
Named (with much input from the kids)
VADER
#8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
I just sent them an email explaining the situation and the loss of two customers due to it. I asked for nothing other than for them to investigate what & where the problem is. If I'm having problems then others are too. If I get anything beyond a standard form letter I'll be amazed. One thing is for sure though.....I'll only buy top tier gas from this day forward....Valero does not meet top tier criteria.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

#9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satavtech View Post
Funny, I've also noticed a recent drop in mileage here, and I only buy has from HEB. I wonder if they get their fuel from Valerie?
I've seen the gas truck go from HEB to the Valero station across the street but there's nothing unusual in that. The fuel is all the same, it's the additives that make the difference. The tankers have multiple tanks within and the additives for a particular customer are added at the distribution center.

Last edited by RTexasF; 05-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
The lawnmower repair was $77.00!
They usually drain bad gas and pour good stuff fortified with gas cleaner like seafoam. You can DIY. Carb rebuilt would cost more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page