Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Tow package

25K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a list of parts\modifications that comprise the tow package.

What exactly is different about a RAV with the tow package.

Thanks,

Steve

#2 ·
Alternator, radiator, V6 engine. Good luck.

#3 ·
And an extra "towing" fuse slot in the right side box that powers a white wire up under the far left side of the dash.
I missed it while installing a brake controller in a 2008.

#4 ·
Veliksam is on the money........

Straight from Toyota:

Tow Prep Package (V6 models only) — includes 3500-lb. towing capacity, upgraded radiator, fan coupling and alternator + what Dr. Dyno said above. Without it the rating for the V-6 is 2000lbs.

Since the fans are electric I don't know what an upgraded fan coupling really is. Could anyone explain it?

#5 ·
Veliksam is on the money........

Straight from Toyota:

Tow Prep Package (V6 models only) — includes 3500-lb. towing capacity, upgraded radiator, fan coupling and alternator + what Dr. Dyno said above. Without it the rating for the V-6 is 2000lbs.

Since the fans are electric I don't know what an upgraded fan coupling really is. Could anyone explain it?
Upgraded fan coupling sounds like what some pickup trucks with heavy duty options have been equipped with - in this instance, maybe a heavy duty viscous coupling where the cooling fan isn't electric, which Toyota may have lifted from a pickup truck description??

#6 ·
Oh sorry guys, i forgot the fuse and fan coupling thing, thanks :)

#10 ·
or an electric brake controller, which so far as I know Toyota doesn't even make.

#11 ·
And finding the white wire above the harness on the drivers side is really a chore. Not only that but then putting a butt connector on it to connect the trailer wiring adapter, is even worse.

I was a tech working on Ford vehicles for about 30 years. I tried to stay away from the smaller cars. Reason? I am 6'2" and at the time 220#. I just didn't fit in small cars. It is even worse today as I am now 300# and getting under the dash of a RAV isn't an easy matter even if I was smaller.

But I got er done. I don't like connecting wires to the Battery + terminal because it can lead to all kind of problems in accident, or if the wire gets chaffed some wheres.

#12 ·
And finding the white wire above the harness on the drivers side is really a chore. Not only that but then putting a butt connector on it to connect the trailer wiring adapter, is even worse.

I was a tech working on Ford vehicles for about 30 years. I tried to stay away from the smaller cars. Reason? I am 6'2" and at the time 220#. I just didn't fit in small cars. It is even worse today as I am now 300# and getting under the dash of a RAV isn't an easy matter even if I was smaller.

But I got er done. I don't like connecting wires to the Battery + terminal because it can lead to all kind of problems in accident, or if the wire gets chaffed some wheres.
Please help me understand this (electrically challenged...) :confused:

#14 ·
Thanks Dyno, that's exactly what I did with my hitch wiring harness. So far, so good (said the Captain of the Titanic...) I thought maybe there was a reason not to connect to the battery with a proper in line fuse, although I'm sure it's preferable to go to the fuse box if practical.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the info.

I finally acquired a V6 RAV, 2011, and it has the towing prep package.

I don't plan to tow anything that has a trailer brake so I am not going to install a brake controller. I would still like to use the factory fuse box and 'white wire' to power the trailer lights and maybe a rear axillary light.

Does anyone have a pic of the 'white wire' they can post? I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Steve

#16 ·
I have a 2012 Rav and Im about to install a harness. Imshocked that a Tow prep package doesn’t get you a trailer connection justtucked inside a panel ready for use. Truthfully, My tow prep was supposedly dealerinstalled so I wonder if Id even have this phantom “white Wire” connection bythe fuse block. Also, Couldn’t I just splice into the tail light power and bumpup the fuse maybe 5 amp?

#17 ·
The problem with tapping the taillight wire for power is that the trailer would only get power when the lights were on.....so if your driving down the road without the lights on and you hit the brakes or put on your turn signal on those items won't work on the trailer.......the wiring kit is easy to install.........

#21 ·
looking back at my info I don't see anything saying it was dealer installed. So your probably correct. The papers I do have say that my tow prep includes a upgraded radiator fan coupling and alternator.

I still have to check that white wire with a female connection in the rear access panel on the drives side to see if its a power source.

#20 ·
Officially it's a factory-only option, which means if your RAV4 does not have it then you'd need to trade in your RAV4 for a different one that has the tow prep package if you intend to tow over 2000 lbs (up to 3500 lbs).

As I recall the main differences are that one with the tow prep package has a larger radiator, a larger alternator, a different radiator fan setup, some extra brackets in the rear for the OEM hitch, and some pre-wiring to under the dash.

I kind of remember reading somewhere that all 4.3 V6 RAV4s sold in Canada have the tow prep package. So I'm guessing it's fairly likely that you do have it.

Remember, (officially) any time you plan to tow more than 600 lbs the trailer must have trailer brakes as well.

This is my favorite post for identifying the Tow Prep package, from JuneBug. It shows pictures both for the alternator fuse and the "dog biscuit" bracket just in front of the rear bumper, which is an additional mounting point for the OEM trailer hitch that RAV4s without the Tow Prep package did not have.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...-package-how-can-i-identify-2.html#post934801

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.