Front wiper linkage bushing fix? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thx for the writeup fishman. Very Creative!
I tried this ( a similar heat reforming) also and after a few weeks it failed again. Mine also did not have the center dowel present inside the plastic joint. Not sure if it broke off or was not present from the beginning. Maybe Toyota made some improvements to the part for longevity (but obviously not succsessful). if so they probably know of it's weekness. I can't even get a replacement at the dealers in Canada since they are currenlty back ordered for 3 weeks!!!
obviously an issue with either supply chain or large number of defective parts. Since the snow has hit us in a big way this past week I was forced to make a part from scratch from a poly cutting board. Not sure how long this will hold up. Will need to look around online a for a part asap. this defect can possibly cause a fatality if your wipers fail during a winter storm or heavy rainfall in a sudden moment of lack of visibiity.

One note that may point to this being a part defect and or bad design. The metal knob on the motor drive arm that the plastic joint goes over is severly pitted from corrosion althoug there was plenty of grease. I suspect this is what caused the premature wear. I also suspect the pits may have been there before assembly. Any other new or fixed knob will surely fail prematurely due to the sand paper like qualities of the knob rubbing away plastic material every rotation.
Anyone know if the repalcement transmisison contains the wiper motor arm(knob) or do i have to purchase a new $300 dollar wiper motor just to get the arm?
P.S. This is my first Toyota and given the endless amount of recalls yearly and poor quality parts prematurly failing I'm not sure I will be getting another unless I see some major help /changes from Toyota. I encourage all with this issue and other issues to log there case at Toyota customer service to send big message to Toyota we need better quality and to issue a recall on this item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM

Just had this happen to me on my 08 Rav. Wondering if the heated bushing is still holding up?
Thanks,
#13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:31 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Just had this happen to me on my 08 Rav. Wondering if the heated bushing is still holding up?
Thanks,
Hi, yes, it is still holding up, but I don't want to sound confident, it could break any day now!!
#14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:36 PM

That's good enough for me! I'll give it a try. Worst case, I'll have to get a new one.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page