Originally Posted by CrazyRav
Just had this happen to me also after only 50k km.
$280 for a new linkage consisting of 4 or more metal bars when the only thing that failed is a $.20 piece of plastic!
Let me know how the re-heat and re-form goes?
I may have to get creative as I surely will not be paying that much for the new part to do the same thing in a short time.
A few days ago I did reheat and reshape the failed (loose) plastic bushing, and it seems to be working well so far. Here is how I did it:
First I removed the cowling and extracted the metal bar with the worn bushing, which was the bushing that connected to the wiper motor arm. To get the other end of the bar off I had to pry the bushing away from the ball-joint using a pry-bar.
I inspected the worn bushing, and noted that the inside ridge of the bushing cup was worn on one side, thereby causing the loose condition - see attached image(s).
I then cleaned out the excess grease from the worn bushing cup and GENTLY heated the bushing using a heat gun on low heat.
I applied heat until the bushing became somewhat soft. Then I used a pair of channel-locks to gently reform (tighten) the bushing by squeezing the outside edge (ring) toward the center on the side where the looseness was noted to be - see attached image of the re-formed (not pretty) bushing. It is important not to squeeze the outside ring inwards too far - the intent was to just tighten the bushing somewhat.
I waited for the bushing to cool, and I test-fitted the bushing back onto the ball-joint and noted that force was required to snap
the re-formed bushing back onto the ball-joint - no force was required to disconnect the bushing before the reforming
The arm was then removed once more and a liberal amount of grease was sprayed into the bushing cup, and the linkage arm was installed.
So far the linkage is holding together but I plan to inspect the repair again in a few weeks, before the snow flys!!
It is really too bad that replacement bushings are not available
Hope this helps,