Rough Idle - Loss of Power from Headlights / A/C?? -- SOLVED! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rough Idle - Loss of Power from Headlights / A/C?? -- SOLVED!

Hi all,

My title to the thread may be a little misleading because my Rav has less than 200 miles. Pucharsed my first brand new vehicle after owning used Maximas and an Outback H6.

The test drive was great and the car fit our family perfectly. So I was driving home from work tonight and at stop lights the engine would be as smooth as I would expect a new car to be...most if the time. A few times it felt a little rough.

Am I being too picky here? Do all cars feel a little rough at times, even new? What do you think? I just thought I would have at least a year or two before feeling any rough idling.

It's the base AWD 4 cylinder.

Last edited by ColoradoRav; 11-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 AM

I have a 2010 with 30k on the odo and the acceleration has a rougher feel or rather rougher sounding to it than some other vehicles I have driven but I just think that's how it is in the rav4. Its just something to get used to in my opinion. Its still a great SUV/crossover and for a 4 cyl. It has some pep behind it. And it doesn't choke or lag at all

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 AM

With only 200 miles I would give it a little more time. Computer is still learning. I can't speak to the 4cyl but the V6 is pretty smooth but at times seems rough at an idle. Try a tank of top tier fuel. Sometime I wonder if you are just more sensitive than other times. At least its under warranty so you can have it documented if it doesn't go away.

Good luck with your new rav.

Toyota Family x2
2007 Rav
2006 Tundra
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM

How does this " roughness" manifest itself, pretty vague to describe what you are after. Engine rough idle, shakes, vibration in the wheel/ seats, or generally in the body?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
Of course I must say I love the Rav and it runs great.

To answer your question the roughness is only when I am stopped and the engine is warm. The engine will be smooth and then there will be the slightest grind that I can feel in the steering wheel. Almost how it felt in my Subaru when I kicked on the A/C.

Do you think it could be a fan or something kicking on?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM

My wifes 4 cyl 2012 does just about the same thing, slight shudder felt in the steering wheel, when I was a Toyota SM back in the late 90's the camry exhibited the same vibration and they tried changing the engine mounts to cure it, helped a little but owners still complained about it. The 6 by it's nature is smoother and yes when the a/c compressor kicks on is is a little more noticeable.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep426 View Post
My wifes 4 cyl 2012 does just about the same thing, slight shudder felt in the steering wheel, when I was a Toyota SM back in the late 90's the camry exhibited the same vibration and they tried changing the engine mounts to cure it, helped a little but owners still complained about it. The 6 by it's nature is smoother and yes when the a/c compressor kicks on is is a little more noticeable.
Have a 2009 I4 runs smooth as the day I bought it. Try different gas Shell/BP.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Hmmm interesting about your wife's doing the same thing.

And the gas that's in there came from the dealership. Never thought about where to fill up. Normally I go to Costco. Let's hope a new tank of gas cures it. It's funny because on the test drive the rough idle was not there. He did fill up the tank for me after we bought her.

I have read that even though the Rav calls for 87 octane that it's ok to do 85 because of the altitude here in Colorado. Hopefully that's true.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRav View Post

And the gas that's in there came from the dealership. Never thought about where to fill up. Normally I go to Costco. Let's hope a new tank of gas cures it. It's funny because on the test drive the rough idle was not there. He did fill up the tank for me after we bought her.

I have read that even though the Rav calls for 87 octane that it's ok to do 85 because of the altitude here in Colorado. Hopefully that's true.
You need 87 Octane ,if you put 85 in that could be the reason for rough idle.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRav View Post

Not familiar with the 85 octane fuel. Does your manual mention anything about it? Otherwise, I'd definitely put more miles on it and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page