Toyota Techstream and MVCI - Page 14 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#131 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
Conserve energy.
Do you expect that turning off 65W of lights to have any kind of significant effect on energy consumed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#132 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,002 Times in 725 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherer View Post
Isn't odb2 is a standard port? Everything else should be software? I could be wrong of course.
Several pins are standardized and can be used with an OBDII cable in any car from 1996 onward. However, many manufacturers (including Toyota) use the other pins for proprietary data. For example, a standard OBDII reader can't see the codes for the Toyota ABS system because they are on other pins.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Garage
Good to know, I'll cancel the order and get the right one. Thanks.
#134 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
avs
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK View Post
avs, trying to conserve electrical energy on a self sufficient car with a robust Ahr battery is redundant. In Canada we have had daytime running lights for many years and when properly used via the e brake, they do not light until the car is running and the e brake off. So conserving some battery power via the lower powered DRL is a non issue.

Even if they remain on under a relay fault the battery draw is not that much, as in leaving your full headlight on and generally is human error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
Do you expect that turning off 65W of lights to have any kind of significant effect on energy consumed?
I was just being sarcastic. BTW the DRL runs on reduce wattage ~10W not 65W at all.
#135 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was just being sarcastic.
I thought that the energy saving reason was the best argument against DRLs that I have seen.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#136 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I was just being sarcastic. BTW the DRL runs on reduce wattage ~10W not 65W at all.
I can deal with that. No problem.

I believe DRLs run on PWM with a 50% duty cycle (measured 6Vdc by most meters) putting them at about 30W-33W each if a 9005 lamp is 65W. The difference of both lamps would be about 60W. Maybe they are different on the Rav4.
#137 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,002 Times in 725 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
I can deal with that. No problem.

I believe DRLs run on PWM with a 50% duty cycle (measured 6Vdc by most meters) putting them at about 30W-33W each if a 9005 lamp is 65W. The difference of both lamps would be about 60W. Maybe they are different on the Rav4.
It is different on the RAV4, a very simple system. Using relays, the DRL's connect the 2 high beams in series, so they each run at 6 volts instead of 12. If one high beam burns out, you have no DRL's.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#138 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I'm running Techstream version 7.20.041 on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop running XP. The MVCI driver that came with the cable didn't work properly for me so I downloaded a newer version (v2.0.1) from this site:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=249c4...F532375995!113

For some functions yes, and yes.

Yes, I get the asterisk for stuff I don't have like moon roof, but with the original driver, I also had an asterisk next to Engine and drivetrain. I could change custom parameters, but the cable check showed a red on the L and K lines.
OK, I finally had a chance to download, install and then test Techstream with the new driver - made all the difference, now I can get past the list of customizable features and actually access the customization menu! thanks! Some observations:
  • The name of my cable in the software changed from "mongoose" to "Xhorse" after installing the new driver.
  • The K and I think L still show as red when I perform the cable check, any way to fix that?
  • There isn't an ability to customize some of the things I'd hoped to do. Among them would be to convert the interior light to instant on instead of ramped up when the door is opened. The other would be to defeat the power window and sliding roof cancellation function that stops the windows and moon roof from closing if a door is opened even if you are within the 30 seconds or so allowed after the key is switched off.
  • I was able to shorten the time the interior light remains on after shutting the door and change the remote lock setting to one press to open all 5 doors.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
The Following User Says Thank You to WJBertrand For This Useful Post:
Phrede (01-06-2013)
#139 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
It is different on the RAV4, a very simple system. Using relays, the DRL's connect the 2 high beams in series, so they each run at 6 volts instead of 12. If one high beam burns out, you have no DRL's.
I see that now in the wiring diagrams. Considering 3 relays used, I'm not sure I agree with simple. It does make the power used simple to figure. 50% of full on. I've never seen that concept before.

Wiring any aux. lighting to come on with the high beams would need to be a little different, paralleling the control relay with either DRL3 or DRL4 coils. Not just tapping the lamp power. I just found an obvious error in the diagram I was looking at in the service manual so I'm not 100% sure about the design and would need to do some field testing to make sure.
#140 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM

do you guys save your stuff at the end? It asked me if I wanted to save the changes and I said no. Hopefully the changes will stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page